Let the arguing begin

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok boys and girls it seems as thought if things go well I should have a barrel for the AR in a couple of weeks and now I have the fun decision of figuring out if I would like to go with a scope or open sights grrrr this rifle is going to be for the most part 3 gun, SHTF, and yotes. I have a flat top and a Yankee Hill smooth forearm with the rail on top where I had planed mounting the sights. I know there are a mess of flip-up sights out there and truth I have no freakin' clue who's is better or worse! I could care less about the name I just want some good sights that will hold zero and hold up to use.

I'm going to put the budget at $400-$500 range so don't say stuff like "Dude you have to get a Nightforce" $400-$500 ain't gonna let that happen. The eyesight is still pretty good, I've got rifles to shoot stuff way out there. The optic that has caught my eye is the Burris Tac 30 1-4 is it any good I couldn't tell ya! open sights I've been looking at Troy and Yankee Hill stuff.

So folks what do you think? go with opens or go with a scope? Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
If irons get the Troy battlesights. If optics for the 3 things you mentioned I say EoTech

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
yeah i would probably agree with the poster above me with the weird name...(edit, not matt, the one above him..

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
You can engage targets like 8-10 inch steel or coyotes out to 300 yards fairly easily with an Eotech. That would be my choice as well within your budget. If you like magnified, you might check out the Vortex 1-4 PST. Personally, I wouldn't even put irons on it.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Primary Arms has a 7x magnifier that can go behind the Eotech if you really want some magnification.
It has a pretty decent price too. I'm thinking I may end up with one myself.

ninemmbill

Well-Known Fanatic
I think your best bet is going to be the Burris Tac 30. It is a great scope for the money. Just as fast as a Eotech or Aimpoint on the close stuff, with the ability to shoot at distances out to 400-500 yards.

With your budget you should have no problem getting a Burris and a quality mount.

Chambers

actual GM
Just as fast as a Eotech or Aimpoint on the close stuff, with the ability to shoot at distances out to 400-500 yards.

IMO, for 80% of shots, the red dot is faster.

You can hit a 10" target all day long at 500 yds. with a red dot, if you can see the target.

Under $500 I really like the Vortex HS 1-4, or a single-dot Eotech XPS 2-1, depending on whether or not you want magnification.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Primary Arms has a 7x magnifier that can go behind the Eotech if you really want some magnification.
It has a pretty decent price too. I'm thinking I may end up with one myself.
This means open division with dot pistols & speed loader shotguns :D

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok guys it seems as everyone is pointing me toward optics, I checked out the Eotech site and I must admit those are pretty interesting! question though can you use these to hunt with? like yotes and maybe deer I thought I recalled something about electronic sites but not sure.

Eotech had a mess of reticules and for 3 gun which would be a good option? I liked the two dot idea but then the 4 dot didn't look bad either! what can I say it's that long range guy in me ;)

The Nikon scope talked about, which model if you don't mind me asking?

The Burris I've not gotten to look thru nor the Nikon so if I decide to go that direction would you guys mind me taking a look thru them? I hate ordering stuf without seeing things ya know.

As for magnification I really doubt I would need it, for popping yotes it might not be bad but I've got rifles dedicated for that purpose. I'm guessing most targets would be shot at 2-20 yards with the out to 300 every now and again so if I am realistic about this either the opens or Eotech which the Eotech has a slight edge but there are batteries envolved.

On this Eotech sight which model do you recommend? when I look I see a bunch of part numbers and don't have a clue as to what is good or bad care to offer some sound info you ones that know about them please? Later,

Kirk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'm running an Eotech 516 http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/516 which has a 65 moa circle with a 1 moa dot in the middle, uses CR123 batteries (I keep extra's in my Magpul pistol grip) and the buttons are on the side to be better able to manipulate if I were to run a magnifier behind it.

I don't run a magnifier because I really haven't needed it yet. The only reason I would want one would be just for fun plinking, I really don't have the desire (or the equipment) to be in open division yet.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you want an iron sight 3 gun rifle you want to put the sights on that Kurt and Pinto use. Dpms rear sight, JP front site gas block deal with a small post all the way out at the end of a 20" barrel.

If you want a red dot chambers hit the nail on the head IMHO. Chris Andersen used that xps 2.1 to win the high plains and take second to KurtM at Midwest 3 gun. If you can't hit anything with the 1X stuff then try the more expensive scopes. Our little local match in has 2-3 rounds per month at 300 yards. Irons or a dot are faster for every other shot in our matches. Why do you think I'm setting up an rifle with that same eotech on it.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
That's my thinking in the long run I'm guessing I'll not be taking long shots all that often even if I decide to take off and hit the road, so I'm leaning toward one of the Eotechs with the 65MOA circle with 1 MOA dot and calling it good. I'm having a hell of a time not just breaking out the plastic and making some crazy purchases but oh well I'll get there! still have some things to work on the shotgun so it's not so picky about what it wants to eat.

Thanks fella's for the suggestions and help! I look forward to shooting with you soon then you can all give me suggestions on what I'm doing wrong! I know I have bad habits and I'm sure more than one of you will point those out and I'll appreciate it. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok question for you Eotech guys, is there anything wrong with one of the older AA models? I know the 123 battereis are better but would I get hurt going with an AA model? I think I'm just going to go with a circle dot and call it good. I don't really care the cost or if it's the newest tacticool item I'm just looking for things that WORK! I know that this 3 gun stuff can get expenssive but I don't need to start a second mortgage I just want good stuff that works. Give me your thoughts guys. Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't 3 gun or compete with my AR. So my info on those are nil, but I do hunt with it and my EoTech 517 works great for yotes

0hm

Fanatic
if you want a nightforce type thing, (FFP) take a look at the falcon menace. it's FFP, several different options for magnification and FOV. they run around 475$ USD

Latest posts