Legal Question

MrLafogata

Fanatic
Lol I did, I called 2 police stations to ask and both of them said "we will email you the laws on it" and after giving them my email they didn't send me anything. I'm just trynna follow the law ‍♂️

Last edited:

mobilebyrd

Fanatic
You can only open carry a firearm in certain conditions.

That firearm must be able to be used in a currently open hunting season.

The ammo in said firearm must be able to be used in a currently open hunting season.

You must be traveling between your hunting area and your vehicle/home.

As deer season use over, you can't open carry a rifle as it's not deer/squirrel season and rifles aren't permitted for hunting outside of those seasons.

If it's turkey season, you can carry a shotgun but you may Not being possession of any shot larger than shot size number two (IIRC). If you're found with a shotgun and one shell of buckshot, you can get fined and possibly lose your firearm.

You need to consult an SCDNR figurine book. They're free at most places which sell hunting/fishing licenses.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
SC only prohibits open carrying of pistols -

S.C. Code SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

Public lands under control of the DNR might have different rules, such as the hunting restrictions above.

Past that general information, contact a criminal defense attorney.

MrLafogata

Fanatic
Thank you! I did know about the pistol law, but I believe the powers that be are trying to change that now?

Bighungry69

Fanatic
I'm not a lawyer but from what I understand there is no law stating it is illegal so therefore it is de facto legal. That being said, it probably won't end well for you.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
The just-because-you-can-doesnt-mean-you-should law.

the new law allows open pistol carry only where concealed is allowed, and only for permit holders.

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
It may or may not be legal but is certainly not a good idea to open carry a rifle walking down the street or into public park, a mall, store, whatever. It is a sure fire way to quickly meet your local SWAT team.

j

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
ALSO - new law doesn't go into effect until August. Darn it - I just had to renew my CWP, and pre-August means I had to pay for it (after, supposed to be free).

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
ALSO - new law doesn't go into effect until August. Darn it - I just had to renew my CWP, and pre-August means I had to pay for it (after, supposed to be free).
I know, I'm glad I don't have to renew mine for another few years, but honestly what we got feels like a big win even. I've been following the Open Carry Situation for a few years now and the RINOs and Dems have always managed to kill the bills, this year no matter how hard they tried, they didn't get their way. Not trying to make this political, just pointing out how bad the previous years trying to get Open Carry was.

Though from what I have read generally it's not Illegal to open carry a Long Gun as in a Rifle or Shotgun, but as everyone stated probably not a good idea on Public Property unless your plan is to go Hunting, make sure you have all the proper Permits for that.

Last edited:

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
"Shall not be infringed" can turn quickly into "Get on the grouBANG BANG". Just... know your environment, and read the crowd (if there's any).

I regularly carry a rifle when hiking the App trail or other trails in western SC/NC... as a bear deterrent. Never had a ranger give me issue - most want to talk about it, since the particular bear gun I like is coming up on 100 years old. But I'm not walking in the public park on a normal day with an AR.

Anecdote: When I used to live in Asheville NC, many lifetimes ago, my roommate open carried a large caliber revolver everywhere, and a damn big knife. He looked like a dude that did hard labor stuff in the mountains, and he was. No problem ever.

Last November going to Bryson City the Ingles was flooded with wild-eyed crazy-haired dudes with multiple guns hanging precariously from them - to get a loaf of bread or a mountain dew. That situation was rife for an accident, an 'accident', or a deadly misunderstanding.

IMHO, as an owner of an implement of deadly violence, it behooves you to act responsibly, and expect folk to call you out when you are not. Goes for anything that is dangerous, not just guns. We're blessed to live in a society that for the most part trusts us to be adult, responsible, societally responsible citizens, with unfettered access to various dangerous implements. That right (like the Constitution that grants it) has to be respected, or you'll lose it - individually, or if enough people F up bad enough, collectively. You don't reinforce a right by waving it in everyone's face just because. Might as well get out your junk and wave it around. You reinforce a right by being responsible, so people forget about it all together... "sure that dude has a gun... so what?"

The USAF had a saying about bullsh!t rules - one of us sh!ts their pants, and the rest of us have to wear diapers.

//Seriously - who wears an ankle holster with shorts and birkenstocks?

Mangrsm556

New Fanatic
It may or may not be legal but is certainly not a good idea to open carry a rifle walking down the street or into public park, a mall, store, whatever. It is a sure fire way to quickly meet your local SWAT team.

j
Cool can swap recommendations on reliable parts. Lol

Latest posts