Latest observation from Cabela's...

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow.... Earlier this afternoon, I took a drive out to Cabela's out in the western suburbs of Richmond, VA. I heard all sorts of crazy stuff how they have "nothing" (you know what I mean). No ammo at all. Not even common 12ga bird shot.

Bingo... It's gone... It's all gone... Occupying the shelves now are big ammo containers and storage bins.

But yet, take a walk over to the reloading section and it's stocked up! RCBS Rock Chucker's... Hornady presses... Lee presses... Dies... Shell holders... Scales & calipers... BUT NO PRIMERS.

Wow, just between you and me and this forum, I can only assume that people are now getting desperate and getting into reloading!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, pretty much as seen in most all stores here in nw Ohio. Except 10mm and 40sw that's still sitting on shelves only the price increases alphabets affected those calibers to.

I haven't seen a box of primers in months! I was carrying around a 1000 round box of spp about three months back but I don't reload (I have a press just haven't hit into it yet) but put them back for someone who would use them now! Kick myself and decided I would not do that again but haven't had the chance to buy any since!
Now my brother stopped at a small shop and they had one 1000 box of spp and lrp that he picked up a couple weeks ago.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Ya know I would be more likely to believe Mr. Federal if I saw some Wolf primers for sale now and again.
Where are the Foreign off brand primers? If you want to stop a car just remove the spark plugs. Just sayin.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
People are getting desperate... Hell, I saw a YouTube video of a guy showing how to reload Primers by whittling down matches and things, and then (carefully) grinding it all up and reloading it into a Primer! o_O

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Strange times we're living in . There's people stock piling for Armageddon , people paying a king's ransom for ammo , people buying guns they can't buy bullets for . And I don't see it ending any time soon . Until people calm down , realize enough is enough . How much can you carry ? IDPA type shooters are taking a real hit . I know my weekend range sessions are are being trimmed back to conserve ammo . Plus I'm shooting revolvers a little more to minimize loss of brass .
Heck , maybe I'll take up bowling .

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Strange times we're living in . There's people stock piling for Armageddon , people paying a king's ransom for ammo , people buying guns they can't buy bullets for . And I don't see it ending any time soon . Until people calm down , realize enough is enough . How much can you carry ? IDPA type shooters are taking a real hit . I know my weekend range sessions are are being trimmed back to conserve ammo . Plus I'm shooting revolvers a little more to minimize loss of brass .
Heck , maybe I'll take up bowling .
Or golf:)

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I was even asked at a LGS I occassionally help out behind the counter and do some firearm tuning, if I wanted to sell some of my 9mm to them. Uh no. But I have helped a couple friends out. I don't sell ammo or components and if I were to pass my family will be ok for years.

This is nuts, as expected with a biden win. I've long figured the leftists know they will never take our guns, but manipulate ammo to the point of insanity. I believe it will get much worse.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Ammo 4 ammo component 4 component but not 4 $.
It will get worse, so perhaps we could do trades for same with other local shooters.

I am going to do .22s only for now so it may be time for inventories of Ammo & components for trades.
If we sell without knowing if & when we can resupply then we may be in for a big hurt, so trade what you don't need that much for same things you do want.

Unfortunately this plan leaves out new to guns shooters who have no ammo or components 4 trade. Short of someone having excess Mil surplus ammo
by the boat load selling some to them. I did once know guys who had square footage supplies for just this reason, sadly I think all of them moved to Mexico .

From what I have read all over sales are not happening. Just like Garden seeds if you have tried to buy them for the last year good luck.

What is a box of 1000 Federal 210M primers selling for today Feb 02 2021?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
It is encouraging to see new shooters, hopefully their politics align to the new sport.

Garden seeds are obtainable, at least we have found. Now if one desires "heritage" seeds thats a different story. Heritage being not genetically enhanced. We harvest our own "heritage" seeds from mature plants left to seed. Not very difficult.

As a young man in corn and bean country, I wondered why certain seed plots were marked "DeKalb" etc. Well they were experimenting with hybrids way back then. We also used to "de-tassle" corn, then all of a sudden no one needed tasslin' crews. Go figure. Nothing is new. They've been at this a long, long time.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
This crap is getting out of hand. $1 a round for FMJ 9mm. $2+ JHP's. And that's off brand stuff. Total BS. People are doing this to themselves paying that ransom.
You are absolutely correct sir. I've lived through all the "shortages" but this one is the worst. People are desperate, a lot of them are first time buyers who have absolutely no clue about fair prices for ammo or guns. This is the dark side of capitalism sad to say. People please don't blame the ones who've lived through this crap before and had enough foresight to prepare, we all had plenty of time to get ready for this stuff. Example: SG Ammo warned us repeatedly for the entire year before this happened what was coming. Forewarned is fore armed. I'm waiting for the folks who can't get guns or ammo to start selling them off, that will probably be next. I sincerely hope that is not the case, but I'm afraid it may be. Folks who saw this coming prepared, those folks get called all matter of nasty things for being aware by those who refused to listen. I by no means have a huge stockpile of supplies, but I bought what I thought I could afford, and paid attention to what was happening.
I pray for a peaceful end to this subversion, but I will be prepared as I can if things go south.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Ammo's turning up here and there , higher than normal , but becoming available . I have better luck at the smaller LGS's . I hate to see store owners see what desperate people are willing to pay .

Latest posts