Latest "bling" 1911.. from SK Customs

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Fortunately, there are LOTS of used guns on the market..if you know where to look for them.
Many are in "like new" condition, having had little use. At least this is true in my area.
Guys put them FS on a bulletin board @ the club where I shoot, & there's a local website that has a lot of used guns for sale.
Have bought quite a few from that site. Also a few gunshops (almost all in my area) have a lot of used guns for sale, some are
on consignment. Bought 2 of my favorites that were consigned, after the owner had passed. A S&W Mod. 41 (with a bunch of accessories,)
and a Jim Clark "Hardballer" converted -Govt . model (70 series) in .45 Both were a little expensive,but bargains, IMO..

I have no0ticed that new & used gun prices have increased in the past year or so..
Have they ever increased, ever since covid. A gun store we USED TO frequent a lot, got cleaned pretty much out. They had a middle aisle thru the store that was packed full of used long guns. Not any more, they dang near got picked clean! The center aisle is now full of non gun junk! Their handguns are pretty well picked clean too. As far as prices go.... they were always high, but offered stuff you didn't see anywhere else around our area. They also offered a 6 month layaway. Prices are covid on top of normal high prices. It happens to be a 60 mile each way trip, between nothing to buy, and high prices, not to mention the cost of the trip in gas, and we do not go there any more. Maybe someday, but guaranteed It will not be any time soon. It's a shame too, because it was a great store, and I'd gone there for A Lot of years.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Bob, your description sounds like a couple of old gun stores in my area, though it's been > 2 yrs. since I've visited either store..
Guns Galore in Fenton & Williams GunSite in Davison.. Pretty much stopped buying guns ( have more than I shoot, now) and buy my loading components online, have had no reason to see how things have changed, & too far to drive, just for curiosity. Though your post does have me wondering about their inventory.
I used to go on m/c rides to both places, just to see what they had, and usually would pick up shot, wads, powder, or primers while I was there.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Bob, your description sounds like a couple of old gun stores in my area, though it's been > 2 yrs. since I've visited either store..
Guns Galore in Fenton & Williams GunSite in Davison.. Pretty much stopped buying guns ( have more than I shoot, now) and buy my loading components online, have had no reason to see how things have changed, & too far to drive, just for curiosity. Though your post does have me wondering about their inventory.
I used to go on m/c rides to both places, just to see what they had, and usually would pick up shot, wads, powder, or primers while I was there.
Joe, this store had an absolutely HUGE inventory of used guns, and a lot of them were handguns. I've left a lot of money there over the years, and I loved the store. It's like an old fashioned gunstore, Cluttered, dusty, crowded on the weekends. Like one of the older gunshows w/o all the clap trap junk. Racks, upon racks, of shotguns, and 22's in that middle aisle. I've bought my share of unusual/hard to find guns there. I bought a Colt Diamondback 38 back in the early nineties from there. Blue worn retired cop gun. (the local PD had them for duty guns!) It made me look like a goood shot lol. I can't forget how much I loved going there. Covid hit them hard, and I don't think they will ever fully recover. Folks cleaned them out of most all the used stuff, at least the stuff I'm interested in. I really miss that store.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I may just be fortunate, but most of my guns are bought used. Some have come from folks I knew, some from stores I trusted, and some from online. the only lemon I had was an Iver Johnson pony 380. Would not feed. Other than that I've not really had any problems/complaints.
I would bet that, that Iver J. did not feed when it came out of the factory. I have seen very few I.J's that were working. I don't think that I now anyone with a working one. I know of a couple that do not work and they cannot find parts to fix them.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I would bet that, that Iver J. did not feed when it came out of the factory. I have seen very few I.J's that were working. I don't think that I now anyone with a working one. I know of a couple that do not work and they cannot find parts to fix them.
I do have a Colt Govt. 380 now. Had it for a while. Can be a finicky little mutha, but with the right rounds it is a great shooter. Apparently, you need to use a death grip on the thing to keep it feeding properly. Can't trust it enough to carry it, so it mainly just resides in the safe. Miss LD's friend has a Mustang same thing, jamamatic, but I'd almost guarantee it has a great deal to do with her grip. She is not what you might call a big gun person, soooo.

Uncle Bob

Fanatic
Buddy of mine has a old hand me down from his grandpa I fell in love with, but to bad the 45 is to powerful for my injuries. Only 9mm single stack I know of from that era is the lugar, and those are more collector pistols.
original 1911s have aa far more limited lifespan than current commercial 1911s. If 45acp is to painful, just get a 9mm 1911, they're pleasant to shoot by comparison

Uncle Bob

Fanatic
The G48 is tempting, but if I found a 9mm 1911 with worn patina, it might be irresistible except that used pistols could be a crap shoot

buy one with a Nowlin or Clark ramped barrel, cuts the feeding problems

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I do have a Colt Govt. 380 now. Had it for a while. Can be a finicky little mutha, but with the right rounds it is a great shooter. Apparently, you need to use a death grip on the thing to keep it feeding properly. Can't trust it enough to carry it, so it mainly just resides in the safe. Miss LD's friend has a Mustang same thing, jamamatic, but I'd almost guarantee it has a great deal to do with her grip. She is not what you might call a big gun person, soooo.
See if you can find someone with a Beretta 84 or for smaller hands a 85, to try. They are a touch larger but they work very well.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
See if you can find someone with a Beretta 84 or for smaller hands a 85, to try. They are a touch larger but they work very well.
CZ 82/83? I've had a number of these. Amazing little 380. I'm down to a rare Blued 380 CZ82. Shoot it every once in a while, a great little pistol. The 82 usually comes in a Makarov rd.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got several 380's .. ( like the caliber ) my CZ-83 ( two -tone) is the largest, heaviest.. ( all steel, no aluminum or plastic ) & perhaps the most accurate.
Maybe more honest to say, I shoot it more accurately.. a toss up between it and a Sig 232 ( also two-tone) but it has an aluminum frame.
Taurus used to make a model 85.. a clone of the Beretta 84.. 12 ?, 14 ? - shot dbl. stack mag.. also has an aluminum frame, but it's about the same size as the CZ , maybe a little bigger. I need to take them out.. it's been about 6 months since I shot any of them.

Most my pistols have had a summer break, been using the outdoor range , trying to wear out some rifles I've had for years, and rarely shot..
Spent 2 hrs. at the range yesterday, with a Marlin 1894 (44 Mag) and S&W 29.., ( + an AR ) had fun shooting up several boxes of 44 mag I'd loaded , back in '96.
Able to hit bullseye at 50 yds with the Marlin., more consistently than I thought possible... also hit it @ 25yds with the 29.. but not with any consistency.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I like that Marlin 1894...want to sell it? I collect lever rifles. They just are a lot of fun. My CZ 82 is rare because it's not in the Makarov, but in a 380. All the 380s lve seen are the 83's. The magazines fit either one. It's like you say, heavy machined steel but fun.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.. " I like that Marlin 1894...want to sell it? "... No. Not now anyway.
Bought it shortly after moving back to Mi.. @ a Kmart, no less.
Guess they'd had them in their inventory a long time...never adjusted the price, as years went by.
I had a sub. to Shotgun News back then, & Kmart's price was less than any dealer price I found advertised in S.N.
A friend bought one, after I told him about the great deal I'd found.

Recently learned about the JM (?) barrel marking on some Marlins, they're supposed to be in greater demand.
I had it since late 80's -early 90's & recently started shooting it..much more accurate for me with a scope on it.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
.. " I like that Marlin 1894...want to sell it? "... No. Not now anyway.
Bought it shortly after moving back to Mi.. @ a Kmart, no less.
Guess they'd had them in their inventory a long time...never adjusted the price, as years went by.
I had a sub. to Shotgun News back then, & Kmart's price was less than any dealer price I found advertised in S.N.
A friend bought one, after I told him about the great deal I'd found.

Recently learned about the JM (?) barrel marking on some Marlins, they're supposed to be in greater demand.
I had it since late 80's -early 90's & recently started shooting it..much more accurate for me with a scope on it.
JM stamped many considered worth more. (It was before Remington took over)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I like that Marlin 1894...want to sell it? I collect lever rifles. They just are a lot of fun. My CZ 82 is rare because it's not in the Makarov, but in a 380. All the 380s lve seen are the 83's. The magazines fit either one. It's like you say, heavy machined steel but fun.
I have to say, I was thinking the same thing about that rifle.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I have to say, I was thinking the same thing about that rifle.
Stopped at a pawn shop just down the road. They just got in a Savage 99 in a 243 Mint. They wouldn't budge on the price (more than I wanted to pay. But
I knew if I went home without it, I would lose sleep for not buying it. . Didn't tell the wife yet, maybe I'II still lose sleep.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Stopped at a pawn shop just down the road. They just got in a Savage 99 in a 243 Mint. They wouldn't budge on the price (more than I wanted to pay. But
I knew if I went home without it, I would lose sleep for not buying it. . Didn't tell the wife yet, maybe I'II still lose sleep.
Oh boy lol. Sounds like a beautiful gun. My dad had a Savage 99, in 300 Savage. Mom bought it for him in Norfolk, when he was in the navy. Apparently it was stolen, or I might possibly have it today.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh boy lol. Sounds like a beautiful gun. My dad had a Savage 99, in 300 Savage. Mom bought it for him in Norfolk, when he was in the navy. Apparently it was stolen, or I might possibly have it today.
Thieves that steal your prize possessions should be hung. I've always wanted a 99.
Now l have one, but $900 lighter.