Kytac Appendix IWB J-Frame Holster (tuckable)

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Background: I have wanted to start carrying my 642 in the appendix position, so I asked David Elderton at KyTac Holsters to make me an appendix carry holster for my J-Frame. I hadn't seen exactly what I wanted so I explained it to him and he came up with a design. I don’t know if it has a name so I will just call it the “Burk”
laugh.gif

First Glance: When you first look at it your response will be “damn, that is SMALL” which is exactly what an appendix holster should be. The edges are smoothed and polished and the overall look is sleek. No edges protruding or pointy things in a place where you don’t want pointy things.

Holster quality: The holster is a very high quality Kydex as all of David’s stuff is. Not sure of the thickness he used but it is thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to not be bulky. You can tell this is quality workmanship just by looking at it. The clip portion is attached to the body of the holster with two screws, not rivets.

Firearm fit. The fit for my 642 was excellent, as I assume it would be for any J-Frame size revolver. I shot the Heartland Carry Gun match with this holster and the draw was smooth as butta with no “jerk” required to get the gun out yet the retention was sufficient.The retention is adjustable with two small screws. I will probably tighten themup a little for my daily carry.

Overall Impressions: The revolver rides IWB so the back of the cylinder is even with the top of the waistline. The large kydex clip is offset from the cylinder to keep a thinner profile. I wear a double Filson belt and I had David make the clip extra big so it would go all the way around it. The big belt helps stabilize it as well. The holster doesn't rock back and forth any and it definitely doesn't try to tip forward like some snubby holsters.

The clip is attached to the body of the holster at the bottom (muzzle end) so as to make it tuck-able. I have not tried this feature but it looks like it would work just fine. David recommended placing some thin washers between the body and the clip to make a little more space for a shirt, if tucking. I will post some pictures with it“tucked” later

PROS:

• Very Minimalist
  • Nice fit and finish
  • Good retention
  • Quality Kydex
  • Smooth draw
  • Easy On/Off
  • Made in Oklahoma!

CONS:

• makes we want to get another one for my G26

OVERALL RATING: 5 +P hollowpoints (out of five)

PICTURES:

P3070024.jpg

P3070028.jpg

P3070006.jpg

thats an awesome piece of work; now if he could start stocking **** like that hed sell a million.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
So... not to be nosey...but-

In round numbers... how much does David E charge for that fine accoutrement? I am too fat to go "appendix" but that rig looks like it would tuck a J bird behind the hip just dandy.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
$75. I bet he could throw a little cant on it as well.

So... not to be nosey...but-

In round numbers... how much does David E charge for that fine accoutrement? I am too fat to go "appendix" but that rig looks like it would tuck a J bird behind the hip just dandy.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Well, I are a custom maker. If you want some angle put on it, then that's how I'll make it.
We shall confer soon. I am debating - a IWB for a J or K frame .... maybe both.

If you decide to name a holster after me... "Lardbutt" has a nice ring to it. Maybe you could run that past your marketing guy? :)

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
L A H . Lard Ass Holster :)

We shall confer soon. I am debating - a IWB for a J or K frame .... maybe both.

If you decide to name a holster after me... "Lardbutt" has a nice ring to it. Maybe you could run that past your marketing guy? :)

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ADDENDUM (Jeff, Thant's a fancy word for update)

I wore this holster 14 hours a day for the last three days at a conference wearing a suit (sans tie) and used the tuckable feature. You have to figure out how to tuck it properly but I got the hang of it and after that it was a breeze. 330 Land Surveyors and not one person ever noticed that I had the -Frame tucked in the appendix position, and many of them are gun guys.

So, if I hadn't already given a 5 hollowpoint rating I would raise it. Bottom line, this is the best appendix j-frame holster made.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
ADDENDUM (Jeff, Thant's a fancy word for update)

I wore this holster 14 hours a day for the last three days at a conference wearing a suit (sans tie) and used the tuckable feature. You have to figure out how to tuck it properly but I got the hang of it and after that it was a breeze. 330 Land Surveyors and not one person ever noticed that I had the -Frame tucked in the appendix position, and many of them are gun guys.

So, if I hadn't already given a 5 hollowpoint rating I would raise it. Bottom line, this is the best appendix j-frame holster made.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks- the Land Grant College I went too did not own a dictionary (either). :p Did Jesse ever figure out what an "accoutrement" is.

Sounds like that holster has "winning" all over it. Maybe a room full of surveyors would be a bad test ground... who wants to be accused of scoping out a guys junk?

Now... where is David-E's phone number?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Thanks- the Land Grant College I went too did not own a dictionary (either). :p Did Jesse ever figure out what an "accoutrement" is.

Sounds like that holster has "winning" all over it. Maybe a room full of surveyors would be a bad test ground... who wants to be accused of scoping out a guys junk?

Now... where is David-E's phone number?

PM sent with David's info.

One of my friends, who is a deputy sheriff, knew I was going to be wearing a new holster and he asked "why didn't you wear your new holster?" I said "I did" and had to show it to him to make him believe I had a gun on.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
UPDATE: I decided to try wearing this little beauty "tucked" today and so far I have been to the eye Dr. and other non-gun friendly places and no one even suspected I was carrying. Here is a picture I snapped after wearing it all morning. No adjustments of the shirt etc. Just stood up and took a picture.

Although, my assistant did walk in while I was taking a picture of my "special" place, so I might have some explaining to do. She already thinks I am strange, so that probably just iced it for her.

P4110047.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Although, my assistant did walk in while I was taking a picture of my "special" place, so I might have some explaining to do. She already thinks I am strange, so that probably just iced it for her.
Just tell her you're thinking of getting into online dating & you thought that'd be a better pic than one of you face. :D

Latest posts