Krieger DCM barrel ar-15

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
I decided I needed a ar15 if I wanted to compete in 3 gun. I never had one and i had only shot an ar couple times in my life. I was watching youtube videos see what kind of gun i needed to compete. I didn't want a 2" moa gun in case I disliked the 3 gun matches so worst comes to worst I could have a good target/varmint gun. I ran across a video that talked about how everyone should build an ar, because ultimately once you replace/ upgrade all your parts you paid for two guns. So then i decided start researching and putting together a rifle.I figured barrels would be the first part since they are the main component for accuracy.I've heard shilan,Krieger, match barrels etc....... ,but to me they all seemed to get the same reviews. My Favorite gun shop Gene Sears carries tons of Krieger barrels so I went out on a limb and bought a Krieger barrel and had my upper built by Krieger. I have only shot it three times. Once to break it in,sight in the scope, and a local 1 stage 3 gun course. A good friend ill call him the "Bird Man" helped spot so I could zero in my scope. Once it was on I shot my 55gr hornady fmj loaded with n133 at 50 yards with easily 1/2" 5 shot groups. I was shooting from a bench resting gun on the mag. I was really impressed since my shooting skills with a rifle aren't that great. So then i shot out to 100 yards with easily moa accuracy . Considering the ammo was nothing special I am really pumped to load the 69 hornady match and 75 grain match bullets see what this barrels really capable of shooting. I want to say on my first impressions this is a great barrel and worth the money. The gun in general has performed flawlessly. Once I can do some load development and get a proper bench rest/vice I can really determine how accurate this gun can shot. First impressions two thumbs up! The krieger barrel is a 20" 1-9 twist chambered in 223 wylde.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 13

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Looks pretty sweet. How much does it weigh? Any idea on the profile or diameter?

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
I used my household digital scale with the scope weighs exactly 9lbs on the dot. It has a medium contour barrel. I've had several gun nut buddies hold it and they said it was well balanced. Especially for 20" barrel and 15'" MWI hand guard. The sales rep at Krieger said a 18" barrel was the 3 gun optimum barrel length according to his experience running the game.I wish I remembered his name the sales rep did awesome job going over details and what to look for with no pressure on me. Great experience with them from start to finish. I was interested in possible getting 18" barrel until he said to remove 2" I was going pay another $100 or more I believe. Did not drink the cool aide. So ultimately I will be swinging my extra 2" until the end! Just a note when I ordered he told me if I didn't get a blank barrel cut or ordered from them the stock barrels you see on most sites are mass produced to loser tolerances. He mentioned they were same barrel and few dollars cheaper, but you sacrifice some in tolerances.

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
I would have to pull out calibers to check. Next to my friends ARs it no larger then your typical over the counter Academy AR. Another shoot out goes to Harsh Firearms in Norman,OK. I picked up a lot of accessories from his shop. Fairly priced and really helpful. Great guys there and their shop gets better and better each visit.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
J Stone said:
I used my household digital scale with the scope weighs exactly 9lbs on the dot. It has a medium contour barrel. I've had several gun nut buddies hold it and they said it was well balanced. Especially for 20" barrel and 15'" MWI hand guard. The sales rep at Krieger said a 18" barrel was the 3 gun optimum barrel length according to his experience running the game.I wish I remembered his name the sales rep did awesome job going over details and what to look for with no pressure on me. Great experience with them from start to finish. I was interested in possible getting 18" barrel until he said to remove 2" I was going pay another $100 or more I believe. Did not drink the cool aide. So ultimately I will be swinging my extra 2" until the end! Just a note when I ordered he told me if I didn't get a blank barrel cut or ordered from them the stock barrels you see on most sites are mass produced to loser tolerances. He mentioned they were same barrel and few dollars cheaper, but you sacrifice some in tolerances.
You're not trying to make dime size groups at 200 yards. Your barrel will be just dandy for 3 gun, just watch out for ports & walls with the extra length.

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
By the way really impressed by your shooting Sunday. I definitely have some learning do! What length barrel do you usually use?

Latest posts