Knife sharpening

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
After processing my first deer of the year my hunting knives need a nice new edge. I currently am using knives of alaska white tail hunter (D2 steel) and the caper (440 c). I have a few cheap pull through hand held sharpeners around the house and have used an Arkansas wet stone but can't seem to get a razor edge with my other knives. This will be the first time sharpening these hunting knives. Looking at the lansky system, anyone use one of these. Spyder co makes a nice looking system but a little pricey. Any suggestions?

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Lansky and the Spyderco ceramic sticks. The spyderco will sharpen a dull blade. The lansky will reface a screwed-up blade and then sharpen it razor sharp. I use the Spyderco when the blade is in good shape and it is very fast. The Lanskey is for a more in depth sharpening or doing 5 or 6 kitchen knives my wife has used, all at one time. The Lansky with the diamond stones will sharpen even ceramic knives if they aren't chipped too bad.
Both of these sharpeners are more than 20 years old.

Dave

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone know of a sharpening service in the lowcountry? My wife has a set of nice chef's cutlery that is about 20 years old and needs sharpening. And, honestly, I don't feel like spending hours doing it myself.

I've asked at Berlin's before and they just looked at me blankly. There's got to be some place the local pros get their knives TLC'd...

ReloaderGeorge

Fanatic
Try Coastal Cupboard in Mt P tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. One buck a knife. It's their semi-annual charity fundraiser. I've used them and they do a decent job. Allow some time. You'll have to wait for them.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
I posted this a while ago, think I have settled on the work sharp system. Will post a review after purchase. Anyone use one feed back welcome.

I just don't like the ideal of someone sharpening my knives it's like paying some one to clean my guns.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Just couldn't do the work sharp $$$. Ended up getting the basic lansky system. So far it's pretty good, sharpened a junk knife and got it to semi shave sharp. Probably worth it to get the diamond hones.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
I just played with the Spyder Co with both the ceramic and diamond inserts. It made quick work of a couple dull knifes. I think this is getting on my short list.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Papabear, not sure if you have got to use your lansky yet. I found it helpful to put electrical tape on the inside of the mount. It provides better grip and prevents marring up the finish.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used it a couple of times now, and NOT impressed with it really.

I did the electrical tape thing, and the mount and tape want to move around on the blade. Without tape it works well, but electrical tape doesn't "stick" enough, it just wants to move around.

I got a good edge on my CRKT Hammond Cruiser which I carry everyday, but have been unsuccessful on two filet knives to this point. It seems the angles on the lansky system are just a smidgen off from the edge on my knives currently, so re-profiling the entire edge was in order, which was super time-consuming. Finding an angle to match them was impossible.

I'm sure with more use and more practice I could get it, but I'm not impressed as of yet.

Hillbluffer

Fanatic
Used a Lanksy system for many years works great for most knives some limitations on real big blades. Recently went to the Wicked Edge system, much faster than the Lansky and a great razor edge using the ceramic finishing tools that are extras. So far this is a great system but the cost is a real booger. :D

Latest posts