Keepers Concealment AIWB holster | REVIEW

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Background: I have been carrying Appendix inside the Waistband (AIWB) for several years now with various types of holsters; some better than others. If you have never carried AIWB and want to try it, you might think the Keeper Concealment holster is too thick, too bulky, and too expensive. If you have carried AIWB before, you will find this holster to be perfect for the application. So, that being said, if you are wanting to try AIWB carry for the first time, either do like the rest of us have done and spend hundreds of dollars trying various holsters, or take advice from people who have already done that and buy a Keepers Concealment holster.

First Glance: When you first see the holster, you will notice that it looks different than a lot of holsters. There are a couple of main things different about this holster than your ”typical” holster. AIWB is all about leverage. Getting the slide and the grip tilted into your abdomen and side. Two things you will notice different about the Keepers holster. One, the kydex body is not form fitted flat against the gun. Most holsters are form fitted as closely to the gun as possible to reduce the thickness of the holster. Spencer has designed the outboard side of the holster to not be pressed right up against the gun, but instead there is a slight gap (wedge) near the trigger guard with only a lip touching the slide which creates leverage against the gun to press it against your body. The second thing different is the holster comes with foam wedges (2 different sizes) that can be applied (via Velcro) at the bottom end of the holster between it and your body (groin area) to further push the grip into your body. If you have carried AIWB with other holsters you will understand the concept of leverage. If you have not, take my word for it, you need it

Firearm Fit: The fit and retention of the firearm are superb. There is a distinct “snap” as the gun seats into the holster. Spencer designed this holster to retain the gun during strenuous physical activities such as grappling or any kind of defensive maneuvers. You might not be planning on grappling with an assailant, but if you ever do, you don’t want your gun to come out. You also want to be able to access the weapon if you ever find yourself in this situation. The Keepers Concealment holster will provide both firearm security and access.

Holster ride/comfort: One thing that most AIWB holsters fail at is ride height. Most holsters ride too high and cause the butt of the gun to tip out or they bury the gun in your waistband to prevent tipping and you can’t get a full grip on the gun. You want the gun as low in the waistband as you can get it and still be able to get a full and complete grip on the gun. Somehow through the design process, this holster allows the gun to ride so as not to be buried in your waistband, but still provide a full grip on your gun for the draw. I know this wasn’t by accident but I don’t know how he accomplished it. Because of the leverage discussed above and the combination of the dense foam wedges, this holster will surprise you with its comfort. Does AIWB take some getting used to? Yes. Does this holster do everything possible to make it comfortable? Yes. The closed belt loop (not a clip) has two additional holes for ride height adjustment or can’t, if you so choose. I have mine in the highest holes (lowest ride height) and you can still, get a full firm grip on your weapon.

Overall Impressions: I know I have said “the one” before when reviewing holsters, but in my defense, not for a strictly AIWB holster. That being said, this is THE ONE. Like I said in the opening statement, you can spend less as many times as you want but you will end up buying this holster or using something that you don’t like. Overall rating 5 hollow points (out of 5)

Attachments

• 20151020_112912.jpg
    20151020_112912.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20151020_112921.jpg
    20151020_112921.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20151020_113147.jpg
    20151020_113147.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20151020_113254.jpg
    20151020_113254.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20151020_113934_zpscmwsir0r.JPG
    20151020_113934_zpscmwsir0r.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20151020_113837-1_zpstkwxihaf.JPG
    20151020_113837-1_zpstkwxihaf.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 53

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that you've had it a bit, have any tips/tricks to adjusting it? And I didn't get the split loop and am thinking I should get one, any benefit other than placement if it needs to straddle the belt loop?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
The split loop is only for more options for placement on the belt. I am glad I got it.

I try to wear the holster as close to the centerline as is comfortable.

Every body is different. I experimented with a several locations on the belt

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk 5.3

I meant to get the split loop but I forgot to order one. Looks like it's just a solid loop one that's been notched out. Once I get a chance I'll probably just hack the solid loop Into a split one .i think I could use the adjustment

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
mike cyrwus said:
I meant to get the split loop but I forgot to order one. Looks like it's just a solid loop one that's been notched out. Once I get a chance I'll probably just hack the solid loop Into a split one .i think I could use the adjustment
Yeah, it's the same loop. He just used a band saw and notched it out. Easy peasie. (even for someone of your limited technical skills)

I use it on some pants and not on others. Depends on the position of the loop.

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. If I screw up making it a split loop, I'll just buy another from Spencer.

This is definitely more quirky of a holster to get adjusted than others I've used. It seems to need just a little more extra space in jeans. Jeans I can carry my VM2 1911 in or comtac Mtac in are a smudge too snug for the keepers and it will dig into my gut. This is the first holster I've ever worn without a belt, nor regularly, but on short runs I've thrown in and have not had any issues with it moving.

Since I'm a larger guy, many jeans do not have enough jeans rise so I've always worn the top of my jeans in the Mid to low mid position and not on top of my hips just due to sizing but this bolster seems to do better if it's mid or higher rise position.

I've also needed to make sure to properly adjust the seat in my wife's car, I'd usually just hop in but since I'm much taller than her it puts far too an acute angle on how straight I sit and digs into my gut.

Pricey holster but so far once the quirks worked out very comfortable and worth the money.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
JHenderson said:
Only around the house or on quick milk runs
I don't know how that would even work. Are you sure yours isn't the "Errand"

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
I don't know how that would even work. Are you sure yours isn't the "Errand"

Yes I'm sure and it doesn't work on thin pants or gym shorts. It works very well with jeans for me. But like I said, I don't do that frequently.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
JHenderson said:
Yes I'm sure and it doesn't work on thin pants or gym shorts. It works very well with jeans for me. But like I said, I don't do that frequently.
But you definitely have the regular Keepers, not the Errand?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
mike cyrwus said:
I CAN SEE THE WEDGE BEING KINDA RETENTIVE
That thing would come flying out of my waistband every time I sat down if I did not have a belt on

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
Just FYI. Since I made mine a split loop it doesn't hold like it did before. But it's much easier to find the comfortable spot for the holster to ride.

Ipsilateral

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Doesn't hold how so?

I can still throw it in a pair of jeans and not worry about it following (again don't recommend) but since I made it a split loop I did a couple of draws and the holster comes out with the gun, on the default retention setting.

Latest posts