Just Pondering

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm on several forums, an one of the big issues I see is new shooters running right out an buying the latest greatest AR/MForgery, AR-10, or what ever type of platform. Most if not all do not take her straight to the range to see what she'll do. Instead they want to get a lothar-Wather barrel, or some other top brand, throw another 400 to 500+ on a scope, then they want to mess around with the guts of the gun, single stage, double stage, bi pods, forward grips, and then all the other crap they can hang on it to look cool. This not only affects the AR crowd, but everyone who thinks they are snipers, or at least think they are. Oh, but the way I have my flame suit on, an if what I've said pisses you off, maybe it will make you think, before you throw money away for some new gizmo.
Its always been my experience(I know some of you newb's didn't have dad or even some mom's at home to teach you things) that basic rifleman ship and marksmanship are first before any thing gets added. If your plain jane AR/Mforgery can shoot 4" or less, which it should be able to do on your worst day, at 100yds, you just blew the BG's heart out of his chest. There are more important things to focus on, cheek-weld to the stock, proper mid-line hold on the front stock, proper fit of the stock into the shoulder. Last but never least is breathing, slow an even, in through the nose, out through the mouth, and control that trigger finger, it should break at a half exhale and be a surprise when it happens. Once you can do that at 50yds, and cover your three shot group with nothing larger than a nickle, your where you need to be, then you might change your thoughts on what you really need. All this applies to all rifles. Granted some come without iron sights and require a scope, remember on this that you only need a good quality lense, an remember to bore scope before you hit the range, cause size of bullet/ammo will dictate just how many rounds you'll be able to shoot. After all this if you can't attend Appleseed, try all your shooting from the prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing unsupported. You'll be amazed at all the gadgets you don't need.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Leighton..... I agree.

I used to want all the gizmos and gadgets, but the more time I spend shooting my M1 Garand, and 1903A4, the more I realize that simple is the best way to go. Could I shoot my 1903 better with a better scope? sure, but maybe shooting it like it is will make me a better shooter.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought the base model SW M&P15 for a reason. Only thing I added was a MIAD grip and an optic.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Show of hands....how has ever gotten laid because of the bling on their rifle?

dennishoddy

I agree 100%.
I've always been an advocate of less is better. I'm a believer in a good trigger, and moderate priced glass.
If I were a professional operator, I might think different, but as a hunter/varmint shooter, that's all I need.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
All of the extra crap started coming of my rifles after I started actually shooting them! It took one 3-gun match to make the decision to get rid of the "bling" type stuff. Now my badass rifles and outstanding personality get me laid all the time. lol.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Leighton..... I agree.

I used to want all the gizmos and gadgets, but the more time I spend shooting my M1 Garand, and 1903A4, the more I realize that simple is the best way to go. Could I shoot my 1903 better with a better scope? sure, but maybe shooting it like it is will make me a better shooter.

So true!! Now you need an M1 Carbine!!!

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, I just traded my Glock for a 1911, so maybe trade my AR for an M1 carbine......

Ok, no, not going to do that...

I'm sure you'll find something to trade into an M1 Carbine with. Oh, once you start shooting the baby M1, you'll find yourself wanting to shoot it more than your AR.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i don't disagree with you, but curious to why it would bother you, honestly if someone wants to "ninja" their AR out with custom engravings of a guy shooting a fly off of a cow, who cares, they are supporting the gun community with their money and helping the economy out, also if they think it is cool, who cares.. i mean for that matter do bright shooting shirts with a bunch of logos on them make you shoot better?? No, but i don't care if people wear them.... i have learned that there is too much going on in life to get worked up over what other people like....

Latest posts