JP Rifles

cfire7818

Well-Known Fanatic
Help me out. I'm torn between the JP-15 and the CTR-02. Also what barrel contour would y'all recommend and barrel length. I will be using this gun for 3 gun competitions. upgrading from my carbine. Thanks

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well take this for what it is. A JP15 is A great gun and you will never be sorry to have it, but a CTR-02 is just plainly a work of art. I know everybody on here is going to say an 18" barrel, but I would opt for the medium weight 20". By the time all these guys put a SIC, or Rolling Thunder brake on an 18" barrel, it is just 3/4" shorter than a standard CTR-02 with the J.P. brake. Not much different except you get on average 74-100 feet per second faster velocities which is huge way out yonder.. I will say this I am sponsored by J.P. and have been since 1999, and can have any configuration I wish and all 3 of mine are medium weight 20" barrels. Kurt.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
See? Even as I was typing we had 2 votes for 18" barrel....that is what everyone will say, but I guaranty the top guys are running for the most part 20" guns. Piatt, Miculeks, Hill, Holms, Miller, Miller, Neil, Shelby, etc. Sure there are some who run shorter, but a lot of the top runs 20"

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
Perhaps I spoke to soon... My post was under the assumption you were shooting tac ops. If your one of the other 9 guys on the planet shooting irons by all means get a 20". The CTR-02 is a good looking gun I just prefer not to haul around all the extra "art".

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I guaranty the top guys are running for the most part 20" guns. Piatt, Miculeks, Hill, Holms, Miller, Miller, Neil, Shelby, etc. Sure there are some who run shorter, but a lot of the top runs 20"

I'll disagree on that. For the most part they are not. Now name off the guys running a 18" or hell even a 16" that I would have to say this year have been even higher at the top. It's not even close

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a lightweight 18" JP w/ a Rolling Thunder comp and a 20" med contour JP with a JP comp. Just yesterday I was doing a comparison for offhand shooting at 100 yards with each gun. Hard to put into words but the 20" med contour felt much more solid and steady for offhand shots at 100. I had less movement in the crosshairs for some reason.

I have compared both rifle on a crono and the 20" averaged about 65-80 fps faster with the same ammo.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Jake, Jake, Jake. Unless J.P. does a one of a kind special barrel profile, it is darn hard to put irons on a CTR-02. So my advice isn't about shooting "irons" which is HUGE overseas to the tune of 280 "iron sight" shooters at the last European Rifle Championships.....so much for that "on the planet" comment. Next lets not take the 3Gunnation little 80 yard rifle steel as the norm and look at it from a "all matches" this year and I still say a lot more 20" at the top than just your little group.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
There's also a lot of guys in Europe that dress like Jesse does too...... But that doesn't make it right. And the guys at the top are for sure not "my group". How do you purpose we measure it? Top 10 shooters at all majors this year? Top 20? The winner? I bet you a steak dinner there is less the 1/2 of those guys shooting a 20" barrel in EVERY one of those categories.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I have a lightweight 18" JP w/ a Rolling Thunder comp and a 20" med contour JP with a JP comp. Just yesterday I was doing a comparison for offhand shooting at 100 yards with each gun. Hard to put into words but the 20" med contour felt much more solid and steady for offhand shots at 100. I had less movement in the crosshairs for some reason.

I have compared both rifle on a crono and the 20" averaged about 65-80 fps faster with the same ammo.

I've noticed a lot of difference between even my lightweight 18" JP rifle and my lightweight 16" BCM gun on stability while moving...the 18" gun is way easier to shoot. Any extra weight or length will make it more stable, but that can definitely be overdone...I wouldn't go further than a medium contour.

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
Jake, Jake, Jake. Unless J.P. does a one of a kind special barrel profile, it is darn hard to put irons on a CTR-02.

Since you brought it up what would be the best way to put irons on my 20" CTR-02? How did you do it and what sights did you go with?

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't do it. John built the rifle. It has a J.P. A2 clamp on type front sight. They made it by turning down the barrel just behind the com to .750 for the length of the sight.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well then Jake, we have seen two benefits of the 20" barrel. More velocity, and a bit more stability. What are the benefits of the 18" barrel you proport.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
CTR-02 is the playboy centerfold of 3 gun rifles. It is sexy as hell! The JP15 is the regular old playboy model of 3 gun rifles. She still looks good and can get the job done just the same as the centerfold. Sometimes even faster because she is lighter and moves quicker.

As far as barrels go, I had the 18" medium contour and it was awesome until I got the 18" light contour. I also have a 16" mid length JP barrel. It all just depends on how much you want your rifle to weigh and if you mind losing 50-100 fps velocity. Longer heavier barrels have a tendency to disguise recoil too so that's an added benefit of going longer too.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
Kurt you said having a 20" barrel is a "huge" advantage and it's what the top guys are running. Im saying its not. The guys at the top WITHOUT a 18" barrel is a small percentage and there doing it without this massive 80fps long range advantage to boot.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
See? Even as I was typing we had 2 votes for 18" barrel....that is what everyone will say, but I guaranty the top guys are running for the most part 20" guns. Piatt, Miculeks, Hill, Holms, Miller, Miller, Neil, Shelby, etc. Sure there are some who run shorter, but a lot of the top runs 20"

Piatt shoots 18", Holmes shoots 18"

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Last time I shot with both Bruce and Tony they had 20" guns, and that wasn't very long ago. I'm sure they have 18" guns and I know Bruce's work rifle is a 16"....heck I even have a 16" and an 18" gun, but I don't use them in competition.

Jake you might be right, as so many makers now build 18" and if your running a rifle someone gives you well it will probably be an 18", I know John wanted me to use an 18" because that is what he sells the most of

I stand by this quote however "Not much different except you get on average 74-100 feet per second faster velocities which is huge way out yonder." You came from a long range background Jake, Did you ever try to get less velocity for long range shooting? Do you wonder why so many folks have to use "heavy" bullets past 200 yards in 3-gun to knock over LaRue targets or to get a good flash indication? "Lack-a-scoot" sure comes to mind, so now I got to run a different ammo to make up for what my barrel doesn't give me? Naw just give me the longer barrel.