JP adjustable gas block

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
So the instructions for my new JP enterprises adjustable low profile gas block don't appear to state anything about threadlocker on the gas port set screw. Will that set screw really stay put once you get it adjusted? Seems that without some low power, blue, threadlocker it will never stay in there.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
no way, you have to use thread locker (loc-tite). Also, remember this is a HIGH heat area. I don't think I use the blue, red or green would be better.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
You can also use Rocksette and it is heat resistant. I have a huge bottle and would let you have a drop or two if needed.

Chambers

actual GM
Use just a little bit of red loc-tite and you will be fine.

Be sure to check it every now and then, too.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Loctite 272 - Red - Hi-temp/hi-strength formula.
http://www.mtariders.com/mctech/g010.shtml

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Put in a second set screw to lock in the set screw for the adjustment.
http://img807.imageshack.us/i/imagevyf.jpg/

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Make damn sure it's where u want it before you drop any green in there. My last adjustment ran great for 100 rounds or so them stopped. I had to torch it so that I could eventually stripe that little Allen head the go buy a née screw or three to add a 1/4 turn.

You should be about 2.5-3 turns for good reliability.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I got to 3.25 turns before it would eject and hold the bolt. So I'm thinking 3.5 for a margin of reliability?

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
I just put in a JP Low Mass carrier in my rifle and went to the range to set the adjustible gas block. It only took 1 3/4 turns to get it to cycle and lock the carrier back (X193 ammo). I added a 1/4 turn which puts me right at 2 full turns from closed. How much did you have to open your adjustable gas block to get it to reliably cycle? Previously I was at 3 turns with the JP Full Mass carrier.

thanks,
James

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
XM193 is pretty hot. I set mine with whimsy old wolf so that I knew it would run 100% on the hot stuff. I think my JP with all the low mass trimmings is at 2.75.

Cajun0007

Well-Known Fanatic
XM193 is pretty hot. I set mine with whimsy old wolf so that I knew it would run 100% on the hot stuff. I think my JP with all the low mass trimmings is at 2.75.

Very good point on the XM193 being hot. Now I have to head back to a range with some cheap stuff to set it again.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Put in a second set screw to lock in the set screw for the adjustment.
http://img807.imageshack.us/i/imagevyf.jpg/

I'm sure that would do the job.
I have a question, I have not seen one of the gas adjust screws.
I don't know if it is threaded all the way to the end or not.
If it is threaded, wouldn't the upper lock/set screw fold the threads on the adjusting gas screw and thus bugger up the threads in the block going in or out?
Just asking because I don't know.
Thanks,
Michael

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
If it is threaded, wouldn't the upper lock/set screw fold the threads on the adjusting gas screw and thus bugger up the threads in the block going in or out?
Thanks,
Michael
yes

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Thanks,
Michael
Sure, if you cranked it down hard enough. But tight enough to keep everything in place and it will be fine. It'a certainly better than having to locktite each time and then having to torch it to get the locktite loose.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Sure, if you cranked it down hard enough. But tight enough to keep everything in place and it will be fine. It'a certainly better than having to locktite each time and then having to torch it to get the locktite loose.
out of curiosity, what keeps the second set screw from "walking"?

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
The tension on the first screw.

If this works in real world application then that satisfies the question.
I can't help but think the gas block reaches high temperatures, the screws and block are most likely different grades of metal, or different hardness's, and the expansion and contraction from hot to cold and added vibration of firing would work most screws loose even if thread damaging force was used.
Again I was curious but for me, with the hi tech temperature tiered adhesives, Loctites, now days that seems to be the path of least resistance for me.

Latest posts