Jim Clark article, from Guns magazine: Jan.1972

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Some years ago , I visited a gunshop in Troy, Mi, it was close to where my wife worked.
I'd met her @ work & taken her out to lunch, then stopped @ the shop on my way home, to see what used guns they had in their case.
Imagine my surprise when I saw one of my "bucket list" handguns.. a used, but well-cared for S&W mod. 41..( factory custom target .22 rimfire)
and another pistol I'd only read about.. a Series 70 Colt Govt. model 1911 w/ Jim Clark "Hardball" modified package.

An old9er) target shooter & friend of gunshop owner, had passed,.. his wife put some of his pistols for sale, on consignment, at the shop.
Long story shortened a bit, I bought both pistols. Found a link to some old gun magazine & was surprised to find an article on Jim Clark,
and his accomplishments. Here's a link to the article:

have to scroll down to p. 28 & 29

I only wish I could shoot either pistol close to their potential..Colt Clark 45 Hardball R.JPGS&W 41   7.5 in. & 5 in.JPG

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Very interesting and nice pick up on the pistols. The gunsmith as art has certainly evolved over the decades. Used to be function over form. I'm not knocking either newer or older styles, just pointing out the vast differences. Bet that clark hardball 1911 is a shooter. Jim jr and his off spring have run down a famous old name. Always surprised Jerry Miculek hasn't straightened out the youngsters

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Some years ago , I visited a gunshop in Troy, Mi, it was close to where my wife worked.
I'd met her @ work & taken her out to lunch, then stopped @ the shop on my way home, to see what used guns they had in their case.
Imagine my surprise when I saw one of my "bucket list" handguns.. a used, but well-cared for S&W mod. 41..( factory custom target .22 rimfire)
and another pistol I'd only read about.. a Series 70 Colt Govt. model 1911 w/ Jim Clark "Hardball" modified package.

An old9er) target shooter & friend of gunshop owner, had passed,.. his wife put some of his pistols for sale, on consignment, at the shop.
Long story shortened a bit, I bought both pistols. Found a link to some old gun magazine & was surprised to find an article on Jim Clark,

I only wish I could shoot either pistol close to their potential..View attachment 25088
Beautiful gun. Love the grips, look like Herretts skip line. I love Herrett grips.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

I only wish I could shoot either pistol close to their potential..View attachment 25088
I've gotta think that stippeling is SHARP! I think it was called shark tooth or something like that.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
the stippling is sharp..it really "grabs", but I don't find it uncomfortable.
The pic of the Mod.41 shows the 7.5" barrel that came with my purchase.
The 5" barrel I ordered from S&W.. took almost 2 yrs. from when I placed the older for it, until it was in my posession.
This despite my semi-frequent calls, trying to find out what was taking so long.
I was given more excuses than you could imagine, ...? how true the excuses were.
Was told that they were moving the machinery used to make it from 1 factory to another .. (factory ?)
When the barrel assembly did arrive, I was charged more than the price I was told when I ordered it.
I was just happy to have it in my hands..

S&W did replace the cylinder on a model 617 I bought used, I told them it was used, but they replaced the cylinder @ no charge.
One of the chambers had a pitted area in the wall of the cylinder, so didn't mind the price bump as much as the long wait for the part.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The Clark's put out some nice pistols
Jim Clark was indeed an amazing man. I think he was one of the first to make a long slide 1911. I have always loved the King's Gun Works guns, and their gun parts. I still have one of their wide spur 1911 hammers in stainless. Just waiting for the perfect gun to use it on. I also have a couple of their 206 beavertail grip safeties. I had a retro 1911 built with one of those grip safeties, also had a Kings 201 thumb safety. Was a beautiful gun and it shot amazingly well. Unfortunately I let it go in years past.

aegiswa

Fanatic
Mr Clark did some amazing work, I was fortunate to find one of his early long slide built on a 1945 Remington Rand in June of '63 :)

IMG_2036_smuged.jpgIMG_2039.JPEG

Latest posts