Is there a deli around here?

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone know of a real deli around here?
The kind where they age their sausages by hanging them from the ceiling, they make their own half sours, and you can buy your weekly lunch meat and take away a pastrami on rye at the same counter.

I have been asking around but have only found deli-style sandwich shops and the lunch meat counter at the grocery store.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I want to find a butcher shop, but that hasn't been in the budget so far. Do you have a local farmer's market or dairy farm nearby that you could ask at? If I think of it next time we go to Happy Cow, I'll ask if they know of anyone in your area.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
There's a local farmers market but they weren't familiar with what I'm asking after. They kept recommending Schlotski's and McAlisters, both good sandwich shops.
I have been looking for a local dairy but haven't been able to find one of those either, although I found a couple of dairies mid-state.
From what I've read in my children's textbooks this area of SC (coastal) isn't known for it's agricultural products. I've found an orchard upstate that we're hopefully going to buy a couple of bushels of apples from when we head up for shootzenfest.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
mmm, Schlotski's....I only went there once (while I was pregnant) but from what I remember it was delicious...

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
The textbooks are wrong. The Island farms produce an amazing array of truck produce. Burbages meats in Goose Creek has fresh meats of all varieties. Meeting street Piggly Wiggly may be able to help you with your deli needs. The old slave magket used to have a booming produce area during the early mornings weekdays but that , alas , has gone. Can you buy from Tupperway farms for your dairy needs? They used to be in Summerville out towards Knightsville. They may have closed as well.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Burbage's Meats in Goose Creek are great. I bought half a hog from them and cooked it for Labor Day weekend...Great. I also bought their Hash...It was great over rice with a little pulled Pork in it.

The Bi-Lo off of N. Rhett here in Hanahan has a wide selection of deli supplies....

Of course, I live in South Caroline, so....what would I know about a real Deli...

I don't even know what some of the stuff you were talking about even is....

Steve

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have to scope out some of the places you've mentioned.

Steve, I would imagine that the half sours are what you're not familiar with? They're a type of pickle.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
By the way, Enjay....The Bi-Lo at Tanner in Hanahan is looking to hire someone to work in their Deli department...
Maybe you could get a discount of Deli goodies...LOL

Steve

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a new Italian sandwich shop in Summerville called Brave Gente Deli that just opened this week. It is run by guys from New Jersey and New York. We went by there on Saturday, and it was very good. They don't make their own sausage but use Boar Heads. The bread and dressings were very tasty. The website is
http://www.bravagenteitaliandeli.com/

The address is 120-a Tupperway Drive. It is right off 17A by the high school.

Try it, it puts Subway to shame.

Mark

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
Deli? Next thing you'll be asking for is a bagel and a schmeer.... Not enough of a demand for any 'real' delis to survive.

Ain't gonna happen in SC. Maybe up in Raleigh/Durham triangle, but not down here.

Maybe a road trip to Carnegies deli... Sigh...

-Mike

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
The General said:
Deli? Next thing you'll be asking for is a bagel and a schmeer.... Not enough of a demand for any 'real' delis to survive.

They don't know what they're missing. No. Idea. Salami, Corned Beef, Pastrami, Fresh Mozzarella, all made in house, sliced paper thin and piled high on fresh rye with home made brown mustard...there's no comparison.

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
Worse part is: Except for a NY style deli, any sandwich you get anywhere is basically 2 slabs of bread, lettuce and a hint of meat.

Give me a nice inch-thick, dripping-blood roast beef sandwich, with fresh mozzarela, roasted red peppers and some balsalmic vinegar. Yum....

-Mike

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
roast-beef-peppers-cheese.jpg

All it needs is a couple of half sours on the side to be perfect.

Although I have to say I never knew the true delight of pulled pork until I moved to SC.

pulled-pork-sandwiches.jpg

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Now you are talking...Pulled Pork.

Also...I have a recipe for a finishing sause for pulled Pork...So simple but so good...You get ready to cook some of your wild pig, give me a shout and I will get you the simple recipe...

Steve

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm from Southern Wisconsin, just north of the WI/IL border. As a kid and young adult I lived in a small town and worked on farms and stables. After I became an adult I spent a considerable amount of time living in Kenosha, WI which is part of the greater Chicago/Milwaukee metroplex. It's on the Chicago train line and it's bus system links up with that of Milwaukee so I spent quite a bit of time bumming around both cities. Even in the tiny town (less than 1000 people) that I grew up in there were two deli's LOL.