Is it time to retire the 1911?

Mike A

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
wtf GIF

dennishoddy

I have a choice of multiple pistols I can use if SHTF. Can't imagine going for anything but the 1911.
I have so much confidence in its reliability, that the lesser round count can be overlooked.
Yes, it destroys the beautiful lines of the 1911, but I use 10 round mags exclusively. With 10 and one in the chamber, the difference in the 9mm using15 round mags isn't so much. One can always "what if" scenarios, but I'm so confident in the platform, that it's my go to.
More than once I used my Kimber Stainless Target II in USPSA matches firing 1000 rounds without cleaning as a test. Zero malfunctions. I've challenged more than one plastic gun owner to a 1000 round shoot-out without any cleaning, and have yet to be taken up on the challenge.

Mike A

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Working as a mechanic since 72 I have had a long time love of guns & how they work.
My weakness is, I have to tear them apart & get to know them better inside & out. :)
I can see through the engine block & understand how it works, same thing with guns.
After I take a peek that is.

What more do I have to know than the 1911 was chosen as America's WAR Pistol since 1911.
It still serves with honor for many LE & Military uses today. Also many civilians prefer it for Self defence.

So why is the 1911 obsolete ?
It's simple construction has stood the test of time, it's simple enough that most shooters can work on it.
Perhaps the Tupperware pistols are making inroads into the 1911s territory. Not for me.

Say what you will, the 1911 is here to stay, until someone comes along with a better design. o_O
Good luck on that. Said JMB LOL.

8,000 Rounds of 45 ACP ammo in one sitting. Not bad for an old Obsolete Pistol. ;)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Working as a mechanic since 72 I have had a long time love of guns & how they work.
My weakness is, I have to tear them apart & get to know them better inside & out. :)
I can see through the engine block & understand how it works, same thing with guns.

What more do I have to know than the 1911 was chosen as America's WAR Pistol since 1911.
It still serves with honor for many LE & Military uses today. Also many civilians prefer it for Self defence.

It's simple construction has stood the test of time, it's simple enough that most shooters can work on it.
Perhaps the Tupperware pistols are making inroads into the 1911s territory. Not for me.

Say what you will, the 1911 is here to stay, until someone comes along with a better design. o_O

8,000 Rounds of 45 ACP ammo in one sitting. Not bad for an old Obsolete Pistol. ;)
Between 1911's and Hi Powers I think I'm ok here. Thank you John Browning and to the gentleman who's name I cannot pronounce who finished up John Brownings last pistol design the Browming Hi Power

Mike A

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Articles like this serve to occupy space when there's nothing else to write about.
I agree, however there are countless others who know nothing at all about the 1911.
Just maybe they will stumble along & read why so many of us trust their lives to JMBs miracle pistol.

We all remember the US Army adopting the superior M9 taking the place of the obsolete 1911. :oops:
Slide broke & took a SEALs jaw off? WOW

1707564827500.png
One could argue that 9mm ammo is better today than it was when the M9 was adopted in 1985. While this may be true, the military still has its hands tied with using the 124-grain FMJ M882, which has proven less effective against combatants than the former and harder-hitting .45 ball.

Me? I'll stay with the 1911 & that fat Ol 45 acp for now.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I agree, however there are countless others who know nothing at all about the 1911.
Just maybe they will stumble along & read why so many of us trust their lives to JMBs miracle pistol.

We all remember the US Army adopting the superior M9 taking the place of the obsolete 1911. :oops:
Slide broke & took a SEALs jaw off? WOW

View attachment 34962
One could argue that 9mm ammo is better today than it was when the M9 was adopted in 1985. While this may be true, the military still has its hands tied with using the 124-grain FMJ M882, which has proven less effective against combatants than the former and harder-hitting .45 ball.

Me? I'll stay with the 1911 & that fat Ol 45 acp for now.

I own both calibers, as I believe you guys do also. The difference is apparent.

I remember when NATO officially adopted the 9mm cartridge. There were several reasons given, but the reason that got all of the attention was capacity. One of the other reasons that got much less attention was that it was less lethal. The intent, the pansy-asses said, is to take an enemy out of the fight; not necessarily to kill him.

That is like shooting a violent assailant in the knee when he's holding a gun or firing a shotgun into the air to scare away a threat. The threat remains.

On the other hand, the 45acp was designed to kill enemy soldiers who were pumped up on narcotics by making them bleed out quickly through a big nasty wound.

That's all you really need to know to understand the difference in the 2 cartridges.

BRETT C

New Fanatic

Well said....

Latest posts