Is it just me or is the original configuration of the 1911 A1 still comfortable as is to others as practical user package?

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
Derr Precision makes a beautiful short beavertail grip safety. I have them on two of my 1911's. One full size Springfield, and one on a pre series 80 Light weight commander. I don't normally have beavertail grip safeties installed, but these keep the retro style look intact. I have loved the retro style since before it was a thing :)
I was unaware Derr sold those grip safety. While I am like Sugarfoot and do not have beefy hands. I love the way they look.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I was unaware Derr sold those grip safety. While I am like Sugarfoot and do not have beefy hands. I love the way they look.
I have a spanish gun somewhere in the vault that has an exposed hammer. That thing bites the heck out of me. What I did was find a about 1/2" length of suitable diameter tubing to fit over the spur and no more painful pinching. With a couple of stokes of a file, it handles 9 mm largo and 38 automatic. I widen the breech face enough to accept the semi-rim of the .38 ACP.

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
I have a spanish gun somewhere in the vault that has an exposed hammer. That thing bites the heck out of me. What I did was find a about 1/2" length of suitable diameter tubing to fit over the spur and no more painful pinching. With a couple of stokes of a file, it handles 9 mm largo and 38 automatic. I widen the breech face enough to accept the semi-rim of the .38 ACP.

I have trimmed the ends on spur hammers and just "break" the edges of the grip safety. Just makes it a bit more comfortable.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have trimmed the ends on spur hammers and just "break" the edges of the grip safety. Just makes it a bit more comfortable.
I had thought of cutting the spur off, but that would lower the value of the gun if I ever went to sell it. I suspect it is now worth more than I paid for it. From an ad:
[h4][/h4]
9mm Largo; 92% blue, fair bore, good grips, 5'' barrel, STAR MODEL SUPER A MILITARY IN 9MM LARGO CALIBER. THE BLUING SHOWS HIGH EDGE WEAR ALONG WITH HANDLING AND RUB MARKS IN THE FINISH. THE...

$895.00

Last edited:

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I would be careful on a gun like that. Too hard to find parts.
I was reading that parts are hard to find and so I fire it I will do it with extremely lower ammo. I have some new 38 ACP brass would likely load to 900-1000 per second. But I think the wisest thing in a couple years wait for good price and sell it.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I had Derr Precision install them on both of the guns that have them. I am NOT a beavertail GS person myself, but as you say they look great! They also work great too. Bonus!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I would be careful on a gun like that. Too hard to find parts.
I have two Star BM marked 9mm Nato. I bought as many magazines, and small parts a few years ago when I got the guns as I could. Parts are out there for that gun at least. The price on those little suckers has gone through the roof.
I paid roughly 250-265 then. They had a big shipment come in around 2016 I think it was. Mine shoot decent and were not fussy. Ball, hollow point, 115-147gr. ate em all. I cannot find a good concealment holster for them , or I'd have no problem carrying one.

RickH

Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have two Star BM marked 9mm Nato. I bought as many magazines, and small parts a few years ago when I got the guns as I could. Parts are out there for that gun at least. The price on those little suckers has gone through the roof.
I paid roughly 250-265 then. They had a big shipment come in around 2016 I think it was. Mine shoot decent and were not fussy. Ball, hollow point, 115-147gr. ate em all. I cannot find a good concealment holster for them , or I'd have no problem carrying one.
A 1911 Commander holster works well for my Star BM.

Latest posts