Is it just me or is the original configuration of the 1911 A1 still comfortable as is to others as practical user package?

sugarfoot

Fanatic
I'm a new member and thought I'd spout out a little. I've tried all the new gizmos on the later versions of the M11 and except for newer sights don't shoot the old war horse any better than a standard M11A1. I like the old wide spur hammer and the arched mspr housing, and no guide bars on the recoil spring. It's fun to mess with all the improvements, but the standard configuration has never let me down. I guess I'm just an old fart set in my ways.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a new member and thought I'd spout out a little. I've tried all the new gizmos on the later versions of the M11 and except for newer sights don't shoot the old war horse any better than a standard M11A1. I like the old wide spur hammer and the arched mspr housing, and no guide bars on the recoil spring. It's fun to mess with all the improvements, but the standard configuration has never let me down. I guess I'm just an old fart set in my ways.
Well...from old fart to another, I'm with you. I've been from buy a new gun, immediately send it out for "improvements", get it back, see something else I "need" lose my donkey selling said "improved" 1911. Finally listened to a wiser friend, and went back to mainly stock guns. Better sights if needed, arched m/s housing short trigger. stock parts till something breaks, then replace it. Life is soooo much simpler now!

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
I stated with bone stock 1911's only having better sights installed . (King Tappan fixed sights). I shot and carried them that way for years.
I have 1911's with all the new "stuff". But more than likely I will grab one of my "retro" 1911's to take to the range or carry.

Instead of King Tappan sights I have a gold front bead and 10-8 retro rear sight.

I shoot those as well as any I own.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I stated with bone stock 1911's only having better sights installed . (King Tappan fixed sights). I shot and carried them that way for years.
I have 1911's with all the new "stuff". But more than likely I will grab one of my "retro" 1911's to take to the range or carry.

Instead of King Tappan sights I have a gold front bead and 10-8 retro rear sight.

I shoot those as well as any I own.
I love King's parts! They were great folks, I hated to see them go. I had Hard Ball sights on one of my 1911's in the past.

fire@will

Fanatic
Been my favourite pistol for decades. Prefer an arched MSH - just a more comfortable fit. Also, an extended beaver tail - I always hold high and tight and I've been "bit" enough that I've decided I don't care for it. The only other mod - I like the trigger pull around 2.5 lbs. I live in Canuckistan, so the only use my HG's get, is at the range.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with you with arched m/s housings. I'm very sorry about the firearms issues in Canada, if people don't wake up in the US, we will be in the same d*mn boat! I feel a 1776 part duce coming on, It's waaaay past time, for my .02 cents. Welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you hear. A wonderful, and insightful bunch as you'll EVER know.

A34

Fanatic
I shoot my stock 1911 and 1911a1 the same. The newer fancier ones are nice, but I don't shoot them any better than the stock ones.

Attachments

• IMG_6551.JPG
    IMG_6551.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 11
  • M1911's trio.jpg
    M1911's trio.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Randall 1911 (2).jpg
    Randall 1911 (2).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with you with arched m/s housings. I'm very sorry about the firearms issues in Canada, if people don't wake up in the US, we will be in the same d*mn boat! I feel a 1776 part duce coming on, It's waaaay past time, for my .02 cents. Welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you hear. A wonderful, and insightful bunch as you'll EVER know.
They are fortunately a very long ways in the US from outlawing 1911s. Right now they are working on ARs and 'ghost' guns. I have a carry permit that likely there never was in Canada and maybe next year we have permit-less carry here in Florida.
What the DEM are also working on now is limiting mag capacity at the federal and state level.
The 7-8 shot 1911s are likely not getting banned anytime soon. I carry glocks nowdays, but keep the 1911 for bullseye pistol shooting matches.
Edit I like arched manspring housings, but long 1911 triggers. I am leaning toward beaver tails because i dislike hammer bite.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
They are fortunately a very long ways in the US from outlawing 1911s. Right now they are working on ARs and 'ghost' guns. I have a carry permit that likely there never was in Canada and maybe next year we have permit-less carry here in Florida.
What the DEM are also working on now is limiting mag capacity at the federal and state level.
The 7-8 shot 1911s are likely not getting banned anytime soon. I carry glocks nowdays, but keep the 1911 for bullseye pistol shooting matches.
Edit I like arched manspring housings, but long 1911 triggers. I am leaning toward beaver tails because i dislike hammer bite.
Derr Precision makes a beautiful short beavertail grip safety. I have them on two of my 1911's. One full size Springfield, and one on a pre series 80 Light weight commander. I don't normally have beavertail grip safeties installed, but these keep the retro style look intact. I have loved the retro style since before it was a thing :)

sugarfoot

Fanatic
Derr Precision makes a beautiful short beavertail grip safety. I have them on two of my 1911's. One full size Springfield, and one on a pre series 80 Light weight commander. I don't normally have beavertail grip safeties installed, but these keep the retro style look intact. I have loved the retro style since before it was a thing :)
I'm lucky to have less meaty hands and don't really need the beavertails.

Latest posts