Is it detrimental to dry fire a single action .22lr?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
After shooting the cowboy action prop guns at the Arkansas Section Multi gun match I wanted to start messing around with my little Ruger Bisley single action .22. Is a little dry for practice bad for the gun?

dennishoddy

I would check the owners manual. It should say, but if you don't want to take a chance, use the plastic drywall anchors that are designed to fit 1/4" holes as snap caps.
I have a S&W K-22 Masterpiece double action that is use the drywall anchors in for dry firing practice. Cheap, and just about everybody has some in their garage.

uscbigdawg

Well-Known Fanatic
From what the experts say, yes. But, I say go for it.

Rich

ETA: My Dad uses the dry wall anchor thin on his S&W 617 (I think). Revo.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I've use spent .22 brass for dry-firing a little bit, but I'm not sure how healthy that is. I peened the cylinder on my Heritage Mfg .22 when I had it, as I didn't know what I was doing, but it still fired every time. I started using the spent .22 brass when I got a Buckmark, and it never got peened, but I only dry-fired it about 75 times. This wall anchor idea is brilliant.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
It's a rimfire so the striker hits the rim correct? well the rim rests on the edge of the cylinder so if there is nothing nice and soft like a rimfire round your very hard firing pin is going to strike the edge of the cylinder so I'm gonna say no it's not a good idea! I've seen several 10-22 barrels with the firing pin marks on the edge of the chamber.

Find some of the snap caps or the drywall anchor probably be better for you pistol in the long run. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Ruger has a stop installed on their semi's that makes it ok to dry fire. I'm just not sure about the rugar revo's.
I googled it, and it took me to a site that has not a dammed thing to do with dry fire. It was a sales page.
My K-22 exibits evidence of dryfiring on the cylinder, but its 50 some years old.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Any firing pin that comes in contact with another part of the firearm should not be dry fired such as a revolver with a hammer, single shot shotgun, etc.

Latest posts