Is anybody shooting the MGM Ironman in 2015?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm hoping to make this one of the major matches I shoot this coming year, and to make things really fun, I plan to shoot Trooper Division. Who has experience with this match? Is registration difficult to get like the Rock Castle Pro-Am, or are there usually plenty of slots?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
When I first started all I wanted to do was shoot the ironman. Now that I know how difficult and expensive it would be to ship four guns and 1000 rounds of ammo to Utah I have never made the trek. Looks like a fun challenge though.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
Registration goes quick, but if you pay attention, you can usually get in first go.

It is tough on gear, budgets and person.

If I were to give advice based on prior years...

1. Take a sub-MOA precision rifle for the 4 gun stage.
2. BUY a MGM spinner (12-20 yards) and practice with pistol, shotgun (bird to 20 yards and slugs to 100 yards) and rifle (80 to 120 yards).
3. Take an AR you don't mind thrashing and be prepared to re-barrel it if it already has a good number of rounds on it. AR precision is not usually at a premium in this match, except if you use one on the one stage that allows a second rifle.
4. Have your night-time, hotel bed cleaning procedure down pat.

I have seen lots of approaches to Trooper. If I were to try Trooper, I would likely go with a 9mmAR, a 9mm pistol, a 6 or 6.5mm AR-15 and a tube shotgun, but I have not ever tried Trooper, so don't take that as a recommendation per se.

jtischauser

MarkCO said:
Registration goes quick, but if you pay attention, you can usually get in first go.

It is tough on gear, budgets and person.

If I were to give advice based on prior years...

1. Take a sub-MOA precision rifle for the 4 gun stage.
2. BUY a MGM spinner (12-20 yards) and practice with pistol, shotgun (bird to 20 yards and slugs to 100 yards) and rifle (80 to 120 yards).
3. Take an AR you don't mind thrashing and be prepared to re-barrel it if it already has a good number of rounds on it. AR precision is not usually at a premium in this match, except if you use one on the one stage that allows a second rifle.
4. Have your night-time, hotel bed cleaning procedure down pat.

I have seen lots of approaches to Trooper. If I were to try Trooper, I would likely go with a 9mmAR, a 9mm pistol, a 6 or 6.5mm AR-15 and a tube shotgun, but I have not ever tried Trooper, so don't take that as a recommendation per se.
I'm not sure I want to know what #4 is all about.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I'm not sure I want to know what #4 is all about.
Just that you need to clean your guns, and if you take too much time, dinner and sleep suffer. Nothing gross or nefarious.

jtischauser

MarkCO said:
Just that you need to clean your guns, and if you take too much time, dinner and sleep suffer. Nothing gross or nefarious.
Lol! I figured it was cleaning your piles of gear and person. Those desert region matches get dirty!

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Lol! I figured it was cleaning your piles of gear and person. Those desert region matches get dirty!
Parma Powder...will be found in your gear 2 or 3 matches later, even if you clean.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
When I first started all I wanted to do was shoot the ironman. Now that I know how difficult and expensive it would be to ship four guns and 1000 rounds of ammo to Utah I have never made the trek. Looks like a fun challenge though.
Ship it? Screw that, I'm going to drive. And I'm taking a whole lot more than a thousand rounds, because I suck. I'm thinking 1k each rifle and pistol, and 500 rounds of shotgun. I guess I better start rucking. I wonder if Tyler Payne is pretty free with information. He seems to have it down pat.

jtischauser

David Marlow said:
Ship it? Screw that, I'm going to drive. And I'm taking a whole lot more than a thousand rounds, because I suck. I'm thinking 1k each rifle and pistol, and 500 rounds of shotgun. I guess I better start rucking. I wonder if Tyler Payne is pretty free with information. He seems to have it down pat.
That's the best way to go if you can take the extra driving days off work. Personally I like flying. Quick in/out so I can use the time off for more majors.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing ur forgetting is that you need to be preparing your body before hand some of those stages are rather physically demanding and then you sleep wake up and go at it again. I salute the man/ women who get up and do this match but damn my beer drinking ass is going to stick to something a little less insane.....