is a revolver a good choice for a first time gun owner?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I hardly ever know what Mitch or James are talking about.

posted via Tapatalk
They may quite possibly be the only 2 that do.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
f681fe81798ae05781814121dd937970.jpg

posted via Tapatalk

My wife and I own and shoot both a .38 Special/.357 Magnum revolver and a 9mm pistol. They have their pros and cons. For me, getting the right grip on the revolver is a challenge so that I can control it without also placing my forward hand near the front of the cylinder. I am still working on that. However, I still hit center of mass out to 10 yards. With the pistol my wife leaves me behind as she is deadly accurate out to 20 yards and I am reasonably good out to 15 yards. At 10 yards and less we make fairly tight groups. We also still work on our grip.

Revolvers can jam due to a case locking up against the back of the frame. Pistols can malfunction due to limp wristing, poor grip, or even ammo or magazine quality issues. Revolvers can be left loaded and reasonably ignored for periods of time with minimal maintenance. They also are dead simple to use with double action trigger pulls being basic level safeties to help reduce negligent discharges. Pistols can have external safeties that might be difficult to use under stress. Others might have less intrusive safety mechanisms but require more conscientious maintenance. Revolvers can give you a second chance to fire as it revolves on to the next chamber index if one round does not fire. Pistols can be quickly cleared if one is experienced.

What it comes down to is which you feel comfortable with, which fits your budget, and which is the best fit for your personality and lifestyle. Even the chambering you need can vary depending upon the intended use and tolerance to recoil. Even the ease at which one can open the cylinder or rack the slide can factor into the decision. If the slide cannot be easily retracted to chamber a round, perhaps a different model, design, or even revolver may be in order. The Beretta Tomcat has a tip up barrel design that allows the first round to be inserted manually without racking the slide, then it self loads all remaining arounds with each pull of the trigger.

As for preferences, the Ruger Security-Six revolver we have is nice, but so is the Sig SP2022 we have. To each their own.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
A revolver will definitely teach a new shooter to pull smooth (if they practice in DA). It's a solid choice, for sure.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
well it's 2017.

since I was a boy... they worked the bugs out of the semi auto pistol for the most part. revolvers ... good ones that are still in time are either to valuable on the collectors market to haul around and shoot often or simply to expensive to buy for many of us.

the new ones ... ruger, SW... and a few others makes are fine if you really need a hide out bug. none will ever equal the older Colts and SW revolvers that are getting to be collectible

for the record... if you break a revolver in a gun fight... have a spare. it takes a gun smith to get one back in the fight. most semi autos pukes are magazine related and you can usually get one back in the fight with the proper training and practice

in 40 years ... every major style and variant has passed my way.... a couple of my very favorite revolvers are hard to find... when was the last time you saw a Ruger speed 6? The Colt 6 shot snubs are hard to find... and the J and K frame SW are little light weight SOB's if you find a new one... and the nice steel versions are not cool enough for the modern shooter to work through... face it ..5 or 6 shots backed with speed loaders simply makes less sense when you can carry a 17 round poly pistol on the same belt space and it weighs less.

Glock 19... or the SW M&P... and when you compare 9 x19 to 38 special and duty 357mag for price you will shoot the 9mm a whole lot more.

No matter what you get... find someone to teach you how to run it. Revolvers have a steeper learning curve (IMHO) to fight with... reloads require some fine motor skills ... running a quality semi auto (striker fired anyway) is a relative joy.

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, .357 magnum revolver for a single handgun that has to pull duty for defense, hunting, and general range fun if you are on a limited budget or can only own one gun. If that's not the case and defense is the primary purpose a M&P 9 would be a much better..