Iron Sights on my new AR build

Barratt

Fanatic
This is my first post here so sorry if it is in the wrong spot.

Just finished my Spikes build (sweet). I sold my Aimpoint ML2 to finish the build. I have always had a Eotech or Aimpoint or some kind of red dot/ scope on my AR. I go to church with a Maine sniper, he always talks to me about how they trained with iron sights. So I have found a new desire to become really good with iron sights, seeing that I have always relied on my red dot for that.

Anyway looking for some kind of advice on becoming better with the iron sights besides practice :)

Thanks
Sorry for any spelling errors

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
This is my first post here so sorry if it is in the wrong spot.

Just finished my Spikes build (sweet). I sold my Aimpoint ML2 to finish the build. I have always had a Eotech or Aimpoint or some kind of red dot/ scope on my AR. I go to church with a Maine sniper, he always talks to me about how they trained with iron sights. So I have found a new desire to become really good with iron sights, seeing that I have always relied on my red dot for that.

Anyway looking for some kind of advice on becoming better with the iron sights besides practice :)

Thanks
Sorry for any spelling errors

I'm an iron sights kind of shooter myself. Maybe I'm just old school. And yes, practice.

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
What kind of irons do you have? If they are stock IMHO one good way to inprove your ability is to upgrade the irons

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The competion guys use a super skinny front post for long range work. You can't hit the target it front post covers the target and you can't see the target.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
I have DD fixed sights and love them. I would like a skinnier front post though.

Had little trouble hitting steel at 300 yards this weekend. 100 yard steel I shot about 50 rounds with 50 hits. It was point and click at 100. About 33% at 300. Not too shabby.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
A better way to keep it even would be to spin it in a drill press and sand off a little at a time until you get it the desired width.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll keep that in mind. Haven't had enough trouble to go to the trouble to take it apart yet.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Is this the sight you have?

DD Fixed Front

If so, then yes, it should be changeable:

Features

* One Piece Streamline Design
* Uses Standard AR15 Apertures
* Easy to use in conjunction with compact, pistol-type weapon lights
* Slotted Screws Attachment
* Light weight

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
Think I'm gonna order the 7 post KNS set on there. Looks like some cool options in there.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I don't know if any of the various training providers offer it but for good old iron sight/fundamental rifle marksmanship you could always try an Appleseed clinic.

Latest posts