IPSC Rifle Match - OKCGC - March 26th

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Great match, glad to meet everyone. Hope to see you all again this Saturday.

Totally killed my chance at winning the Cadillac.
And to think I couldn't feel any worse. The best part was on the next stage when I stepped up to run the timer and Jesse jumped in and took the timer from me.

Thus my new member title.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Michael Ray said:
And to think I couldn't feel any worse. The best part was on the next stage when I stepped up to run the timer and Jesse jumped in and took the timer from me.

Thus my new member title.
That's a trick I learned from Wall and Hoover. If you're holding a timer or nook you can't possibly hold tape or pick up a piece of steel.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I tested the big target to micro target transition at the range the other day. I didn't have a one inch tile so I used a quarter sized IPSC target and marked a 1 inch black spot in the middle, my rifle was zeroed for 200, so I had to aim about 2 inches high.
The first 5 tries was hardly on the target at all. Then I started getting the hang of it a bit, the last 4-5 shots was within 2 inches, and only one inside the 1 inch mark. My times was fairly consistent at 2.5-2.6 secs.
So yes, 1 inch tile is to small to be used in a rifle match. If the rifle had been zeroed at the exact distance and I took more time I could hit it, but at the expense of hit factor. So no matter how you put it, making a stage like that makes no sense.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
You say making a stage like that makes no sense, however it was the Nordic Rifle Championship that gave us that stage. So are you saying that the IPSC rifle match that is the end all, be all of rifle matches, designed a crappy stage that has no place in our sport? I am not really curious as to the answer, but you don't really see us jumping on the IPSC global village saying that all of your ideas suck and have no place in shooting now do you? I wish you nothing but luck and I am sure we will have a Vodka together in Russia next year, but let's let this thread die a natural death.. :)

On the good side, we had about 100 people ask us about the rifle match at the USPSA MG Nationals and they are asking us to do another one. Sounds like it might become an annual thing for sure..

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot every Nordic rifle match the past few years, and I'm pretty sure I can remember no 1 inch tile...however, I'm going to go trough all the stage diagrams for them and verify :)

And please understand, I'm not criticising your match, I'm just saying that a stage layout like that will make no sense, because the current ruleset will make it wacky, that is all. It's not meant as a negative comment, it's meant as a sort of factual analysis of the particular stage. I'm a huge geek, and this stuff appeals to me.

I think it's very cool that you're running pure rifle matches, and I hope it catches on .

And btw, I'm banned from posting on GV, so no one is going to disagree with me there any more :yes:

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
80% of the people on my squad disintegrated the tile on first shot and it was most of us first rifle match. I was zeroed at 50 and guessed about 1.3-1.5 inches low due to sight height over bore. Anyway I thought it was a pretty cool stage Mike!

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Sure, the point of me testing it was just to try and hit it at the speed Jesse shot the stage, since it was won even with the mike on the tile. Shoot slow enough and you can hit anything, but hit factor kills you. Which is what I find intriguing about comstock scoring vs time plus.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I took 2 shots but had a malfunction on the paper which cost me a lot of time on such a short stage. Feegee on the other hand went to war on the tile.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
Sure, the point of me testing it was just to try and hit it at the speed Jesse shot the stage, since it was won even with the mike on the tile. Shoot slow enough and you can hit anything, but hit factor kills you. Which is what I find intriguing about comstock scoring vs time plus.
Exactly. If i would have shot a few more alphas on the paper I would have been way better off. Not shooting at the tile was the best way to improve your score

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
One thing you accomplished, Mike (besides an awesome match) is interest. There are 394 replies to this thread alone and 100 of them were after the match happened.

It is still generating conversation about scoring and gaming and whats stupid and what's not stupid. Well done. I for one, look forward to the next one when I WILL know where my gun shoots at 300 yards and I WILL have a tripod

Carry on

Glock_21

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
I enjoyed watching the little bastard explode though
^^^^ This ^^^^^^

We had one guy that damn near shot the stick in half before the glue finally gave way. He put many rounds about 2 inches below the tile.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Glock_21 said:
^^^^ This ^^^^^^

We had one guy that damn near shot the stick in half before the glue finally gave way. He put many rounds about 2 inches below the tile.
We had a bunch that put a nice clean single hole 2" below the tile. I was not one of them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I for one hope I actually show up to shoot the next one and would rather not fall on my ass BUT I had a good time even as I shot like the stuff I sometimes step in the pup leaves in the yard. I didn't know what I was getting into and didn't have time to practice anything and can say that while pistol skills seem to stick around running the AR didn't but who cares I got humbled! I did pop that little tile though and it went poof :) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts