IPSC Rifle Match - OKCGC - March 26th

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Oh, and I'm not saying that the start position was inspired by Tony Montana, I'm just saying that that's exactly how I'm going to refer to it from now on.

RO - "Rifle down at the hip."
Me - "Say it."
RO - "I'm not saying it."
Me - "Well we're gonna be here a while."

dennishoddy

mike_pinto said:
Nice!! Yeah, sorry about that fellas. Our range staff got a little rambunctious and the Cowboys shooters were a little edgy. It was just a rough end to a great day and match. We did give the fine folks on that squad an average score for that last stage to make sure we had something. We will do better next time and things will go a bit smoother for sure.
By driving through their area?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Shane P said:
On the bright side, at least you didn't shoot the entire match and drop the nook before it was ever able to sync. I've heard that has happened, or it could be an urban legend. Nobody knows for sure.
They call that "The Renova"

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm not going to hold back. I appreciate the heck outta Kurt, Mike, ROs and everyone that help setup and tear down. It's a lot of thankless work. But the gimmicky little IPSC style stages are not much fun compared to big 30-50 round field courses with a little hosing mixed in. The minor scoring really kills the speed. You have to center up on the A zone and double tap the target. That equals a snooze fest to me. I think the old stage we used to shoot at the monthly rifle matches were way more fun as was the idea like time down scoring.

IMHO for any IPSC or USPSA rifle or pistol match to be fun you need 60-75% of the stages to have a HF over 7. The Once the HF gets over 7 speed starts to become more valuable then points. The low HF stages should look like stage 2 with mid to long range steel that falls to score.

This stage for instances was won by taking a penalty on the tile. IMHO that's not fun. But it was the only stage with a winning Hit Factor over 3.

http://youtu.be/tJWHoq5F3iU

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
If only one stage had a HF over 3 then that match average hf is extremely low, I think anything below 4 is starting to get boring, above 5 is where speed start to matter. Hit factor = fun factor

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
At a recent weekly .22 rifle match here we had two stages with winning hit factor 17 and 20. That's pretty extreme as well, but a buddy of mine built them because he thought he could beat me on close range stand and shoot, which he didn't btw, the 17 and 20 HF's were mine :p

On a big IPSC match you wouldn't win a short course stage like the last one you posted by taking a penalty though. On stages like that pretty much all of the top shooters will shoot about the same times, differing 2 or 3 tenths of a second, and the stage will be decided on who manages to keep their shots in the A zone. One small mistake....like a miss or penalty and you will be 40 places down on the stage result.

I think a good rifle match should have maybe an average HF of about 5-6 with maybe 10-15% og stages below 3, and maybe 30% in the 7ish and above range.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Yeah, Slenmo, I might check your sources. The video Jesse posted was a stage from a match in your country. The majority of the courses of fire were indeed directly from Nordic Rifle as well as other world level matches. The great thing is that you could have a bad stage and it not take you out of the match. This was an attempt to expose folks to a different style of shooting. I too like running and gunning, but I did smile after just about every one of these stages.

Josh Smash

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a great time at this match yesterday. Thank you to everyone that help make it possible. Is there any chance this can turn into a semi-annual event? I would defiantly be game to do this again...after verifying my 300.

jtischauser

slemmo said:
At a recent weekly .22 rifle match here we had two stages with winning hit factor 17 and 20. That's pretty extreme as well, but a buddy of mine built them because he thought he could beat me on close range stand and shoot, which he didn't btw, the 17 and 20 HF's were mine :p

On a big IPSC match you wouldn't win a short course stage like the last one you posted by taking a penalty though. On stages like that pretty much all of the top shooters will shoot about the same times, differing 2 or 3 tenths of a second, and the stage will be decided on who manages to keep their shots in the A zone. One small mistake....like a miss or penalty and you will be 40 places down on the stage result.

I think a good rifle match should have maybe an average HF of about 5-6 with maybe 10-15% og stages below 3, and maybe 30% in the 7ish and above range.
If my math is correct With a HF of 9 you'd have to transition 4 yards and hit that 1" tile worth 5 points -10 second penalty in 1.66 seconds or faster to make it worth shooting. 1/9*15=1.66. That's pretty much luck at that point.

If it was all paper you would be correct. Top times would all be within 10% but those that took a C scoring minor would get screwed. Did I mention that the IPSC paper targets are ****? The scoring zones makes zero sense to me and seeing the scoring lines of the A zone requires you to get within 1-2' of every target because the scoring zones are angled not square. Definitely not as much fun to shoot or as fast to score as a USPSA paper target.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, I didn't see the size of the tile, I'm curious about what norwegian match that stage is from, cause putting a 1 inch tile as a target is pretty crazy.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I would go for it, cause transitioning 4 yards to a one inch target is absolutely doable. But I wouldn't put in a make up shot if (when) I missed.

Cole2534

Active Fanatic
Had a blast yesterday, sorry we lost so much time on the nook incident but at least it was found in good condition.

The Cooper tunnel was a really fun stage, and house of cards made me glad I didn't decide to bring the .308. Tile game was ineresting and the left handed stuff really highlighted that I suck. All those years of drinking beer and not practicing really paid off. :)

-Cole

jtischauser

slemmo said:
I would go for it, cause transitioning 4 yards to a one inch target is absolutely doable. But I wouldn't put in a make up shot if (when) I missed.
$20 says you miss more then 50% of the time under 1.5 seconds.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Jesse Tischauser said:
$20 says you miss more then 50% of the time under 1.5 seconds.
Not if you are hopped up on Shooter Fuel. Because it enhances your performance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
We don't even have shooter fuel here, but yes, 50% miss rate is definitely realistic. If you give me the stage specs for this I'll take my .22 rifle to the pistol range and try it for fun......if it's even 4 yards wide, I'll measure it when I get there.

And btw, when you've engaged a few thousand IPSC targets you know exactly where the scoring line is. It makes just as much sense as having a square target with a square box on top and a square A zone in the middle of it. What's the sense in that I might ask.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Shooter Fuel is not available outside Nicaragua, but I have a "guy"

Anyway It will be interesting to see your findings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Thanks to Mike and Kurt putting this on. Had a great day, lots of fun until getting weak from blood loss toward the end of the match. lol.
Thanks guys[emoji106]
Did you take a bullet or what? :eek:

I'm pissed that I had to miss this. But with work being as iffy as it is, and me being assigned a "priority" assignment, and it being a difficult little ***** that put me way behind, I decided to bone up on it Saturday.

Latest posts