Iowa Boomer Just Joined

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
Howdy everyone.

I ran across this forum while searching for some information on shotgun tweaking for 3-Gun. I live in the Midwest, am a boomer, and like to shoot matches. I was reading a few older posts and especially liked the "Why no IDPA?" thread. I've owned guns and shot since I was a kid (22 rifle at age 10, .410 SG at 12, 12G for hunting and trap at 13, and got a 9mm SA pistol for my 14th birthday). Grew up in a small farm town. Joined the army when I was 17 (was handed an M16A1 at Fort Ord, CA and then traveled to exotic distant Asian lands--(they really weren't, but it sounds good). I started shooting competitively again last year. We have a local club (action shooting--mix of IDPA, USPSA, and steel), an IDPA club relatively close, three SASS clubs, and two USPSA clubs in the area (one has 3-Gun). I've shot IDPA, USPSA, SASS, and just started 3-Gun.

I read Jesse T's thread about using the Franchi Affinity for 3-Gun (I put Benelli parts in mine and it is at the gunsmith for port opening).

I'm gravitating to USPSA and 3-Gun. I'm getting tired of arbitrary cover calls, etc. from the IDPA club. At a recent IDPA match some of us that shoot USPSA also were "lectured" by the MD (IDPA guy) that if any of us "hot dogged it" that we would be sent home. He also said that bullet catching when showing clear would result in an instant DQ (didn't want us shooting our hands by accident). I got "the look" when I asked "how do you shoot your hand after you drop a mag and eject a round?"

I like 1911s (have some Dan Wessons), Glocks (have a G19, G17, and G34 as well as new G17 M.O.S.), WIlson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical, CZ SP01, some shotguns, AR-15, lever-action rifles, Ruger Vaqueros, and a few others. I shoot a G34 usually, but tried the CZ SP01 in a couple of matches as well as a 9mm 1911.

I have two Weimaraners (one male and one female) and one wife (she shoots occasionally). The Weims keep my butt in shape and the wife tries to keep me in line.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Welcome aboard.

If I am RO-ing and someone does a "bullet flip" I always try to swat it out of mid air and then +2 them for FTDR.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
What does that MD consider "hot doggin?
We interpreted that as shooting USPSA style (i.e. "fast"), but didn't ask for any details. The three of us standing there (recipients of the lecture) actually won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place out of 25 shooters.
Burk Cornelius said:
Will do, thanks.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
We were just making fun of IDPA last night. One guy said if you ever ask in regards to a stage design or plan "Can I..." do something the answer is always no. And I you ask "Do I Have to..." The answer is always yes.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
We were just making fun of IDPA last night. One guy said if you ever ask in regards to a stage design or plan "Can I..." do something the answer is always no. And I you ask "Do I Have to..." The answer is always yes.
Jesse:

One of the head ROs at a recent IDPA match (he shoots an XD in CCP) also made a pejorative comment between stages about people shooting 5" guns that they would not carry (referring to the Glock 34 that a few of us use) . . . I said "I carry a Dan Wesson Razorback 45 sometimes. It has a 5" barrel and weighs more than a Glock." His reply was "you should shoot what you carry." Sometimes I carry a Glock 19. I think that I will shoot it (from a carry holster) and after I beat him I'll just smile and say "Indian not arrow, eh Kemosabe." I know that we should probably just "get along," but sometimes it's hard to ignore an itch.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Barbarians Live said:
Jesse:

One of the head ROs at a recent IDPA match (he shoots an XD in CCP) also made a pejorative comment between stages about people shooting 5" guns that they would not carry (referring to the Glock 34 that a few of us use) . . . I said "I carry a Dan Wesson Razorback 45 sometimes. It has a 5" barrel and weighs more than a Glock." His reply was "you should shoot what you carry." Sometimes I carry a Glock 19. I think that I will shoot it (from a carry holster) and after I beat him I'll just smile and say "Indian not arrow, eh Kemosabe." I know that we should probably just "get along," but sometimes it's hard to ignore an itch.
ðŸ˜'ðŸ˜'ðŸ˜'ðŸ˜'ðŸ˜'

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Southern Logan County Gentleman's Association . Very elite and prestigious. Only 3 members right now. Tony is apprentice-ing

posted via Tapatalk

Latest posts