Introduction

rrengineer

New Fanatic
I was asked for an introduction, so... I am a retired railroad engineer with 21 years in the US Air Force ans a flight engineer on C141 cargo aircraft. I own many guns, but I love the 1911 platform as much as the rest of my collection that includes Broomhandle Mausers, Lugers, Walthers, etc. I even have a Colt Peacemaker that was manufactured in 1876. In other words I think the guns produced at the turn of the last century have never really been improved upon all that much. John Moses Browning was a God. We are still using his designs in today's military some 94 years after his death. The only 1911 I presently own is an old Auto Ordinance 1911 that was gutted and had the internals replaced with Colt nation match parts. The link was blueprinted to put the bolt face in the same spot every time and it is a tack driver I could probably not get more than $500 for even in today's market even though I spent $900+ over 30 years ago on it. At the present time I am trying to fill out my collection with A few Colt 1911s. Looking for a 1911 A1 from the series Colt manufactured when they continued the 1945 serial numbers. Right now I am looking at a 1911 Commander that is for sale locally. Of course not cheap, but anything that says Colt on it, well you know. Glad to be among the believers. Thanks, Mike

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the site & greetings from SE MI.
If you haven't tried 1911's other than Colt..you may be surprised.
Try a Springfield Armory, a Dan Wesson, or even a Rock Island Armory.. you will find that many brands
equal or exceed Colts accuracy & reliability, @ a more reasonable cost.
I have Colt 1911's, but find I shoot my other brands more often.
Colts were a good "investment" but collectors have driven prices so high, I wouldn't purchase one..
( well maybe a new improved Python ) LOL

rrengineer

New Fanatic
Welcome to the site & greetings from SE MI.
If you haven't tried 1911's other than Colt..you may be surprised.
Try a Springfield Armory, a Dan Wesson, or even a Rock Island Armory.. you will find that many brands
equal or exceed Colts accuracy & reliability, @ a more reasonable cost.
I have Colt 1911's, but find I shoot my other brands more often.
Colts were a good "investment" but collectors have driven prices so high, I wouldn't purchase one..
( well maybe a new improved Python ) LOL
I bought the 1991 A1 Commander I was looking at. It was made in 1994, has rubber grips (Colt) and looks like it was hardly used at all. Of course I paid too much for it, but it says "Colt" on it. Just to your other point I have a deposit down on a Rock Island Armory GI .45 1911 at my LGS too. I have a feeling I will be shooting the RIA .45 a lot more than the Colt. I do have another Colt that I never shoot. It is a SAA manufactured in 1876. I don't reload and black powder loads in 45 Colt are hard to come by. Being in California it is difficult to get due to stupid laws here.Colt a1.jpg

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from Greenwood, IN. I like the older Colts, but the new stuff isn't that impressive. I have a few older ones, but I also like the current D.W.'s Everyone has their favorite.