Input on 3 gun ar upper

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
Guys,
Wanted some expert opinions on an upper for an ar for 3 gun.
I have been wanting to try this out and would like opinions on an upper that would be better than average for competition. I am not new to shooting and dont mind spending a little extra to get something that i will be confident in. Any guidance would be helpful.
Thanks

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I would just get something like this - http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4600-wts-3-gun-ar-15-like-new/ - in fact just purchase that rifle....

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You need an above average 18-20" rifle length gas barrel, 15" handguard, JP low mass bolt carrier, and a PRI Adjustable Gas Block.

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
I would just get something like this - http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4600-wts-3-gun-ar-15-like-new/ - in fact just purchase that rifle....

What about the adjustable gas block and the 18 in. Barrel jesse recommends? Uh oh, hope im not starting a fight over differing opinions.
Not being a pro, i would think that a longer barrel would be an advantage am i wrong?
Why does one need an adjustable gas block?

jtischauser

What about the adjustable gas block and the 18 in. Barrel jesse recommends? Uh oh, hope im not starting a fight over differing opinions.
Not being a pro, i would think that a longer barrel would be an advantage am i wrong?
Why does one need an adjustable gas block?

A rifle length gas system shoots softer than the mid or carbine length gas system in a 16".

A 20" weighs more than an 18" which I don't like so I give up 100-200 fps in velocity and run an 18".

The adjustable gas block, low mass bolt and rifle length gas are all there to reduce recoil and muzzle flip. Less gas means less force pushing the bolt carrier backwards. Less mass in the moving parts means less mass hitting your shoulder and effecting your sight picture.

I originally forgot to add that you need a good comp. SJC Titan and Rolling Thunder are the top dogs right now.

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
A rifle length gas system shoots softer than the mid or carbine length gas system in a 16".

A 20" weighs more than an 18" which I don't like so I give up 100-200 fps in velocity and run an 18".

The adjustable gas block, low mass bolt and rifle length gas are all there to reduce recoil and muzzle flip. Less gas means less force pushing the bolt carrier backwards. Less mass in the moving parts means less mass hitting your shoulder and effecting your sight picture.

I originally forgot to add that you need a good comp. SJC Titan and Rolling Thunder are the top dogs right now.

Thanks jesse,

Especially the fast response! What barrel would do the job in an 18 in.?
Would i need a different buffer spring as well? My lower has a timney trigger.

jtischauser

JP makes the bitchinest 18" barrel.

I haven't shot every good AR barrel out there but the JP that myself and Chris Andersen have owned are amazing!

You would want to get the JP low Mass buffer to go with the lighter carrier. If you run a carbine length buffer it is good to go as it weighs the same as the JP low mass rifle length buffer. I always get the JP spring too.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'm going with a Satern 18" stainless double fluted with mid-length gas on mine. Make sure you go with long handguards that are lightweight too. You'll want to get your support hand out as far as you can to help move from target to target.

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
JPSM223-18M8K .223 chamber medium contour barrel kit, 18" length. Includes a fitted JP EnhancedBoltâ"¢, choice of compensator and adjustable gas system. See complete technical data in barrel section below.
Add $50.00 for Black Teflon finish $589

Would this be what your talking about?
Still need an upper receiver right?

Chambers

actual GM
JT and I are talking about the lightweight profile one. I'm not even sure it's on their website yet. You can get the barrel only for $400.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
JT and I are talking about the lightweight profile one. I'm not even sure it's on their website yet. You can get the barrel only for $400.

I'm going to be getting one of those shortly. Got all my LMOS guts, picking up my rifle stock lower at home in OK next time I'm there, and ordering the rest from JP pretty soon.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
You should check out an Eotech to put on there too. The 1 MOA dot helps a lot with the smaller targets at farther ranges.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
18" jp light contour barrel with rifle gas
Sjc Titan comp
Pri 15" carbon hand guard
Pri adjustable gas block
Jp lmos bolt and buffer

This is my new upper and I love it. I tried to build the best ar money could buy

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
18" jp light contour barrel with rifle gas
Sjc Titan comp
Pri 15" carbon hand guard
Pri adjustable gas block
Jp lmos bolt and buffer

This is my new upper and I love it. I tried to build the best ar money could buy

This upper is pretty badass...

Latest posts