info on m&P and xp pistol

g929

Fanatic
hello guys im new in to guns and im not a big fan of glock so my queation is can the m&p interchange barels from .22 to 45 or 40 thank you all in advance

B

Beau

The m&p .40 can interchange 9mm and 357sig barrels. S&w makes a .22 only m&p and im not sure if the 45 can do barrel swaps but i dont think any1 makes barrels of different caliber for the 45.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
not sure if the 45 can do barrel swaps but i dont think any1 makes barrels of different caliber for the 45.

Like the Glocks, the M&P 45 is a completely different frame from the smaller calibers

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I would think the breech face would become an issue as well as extractor once you hit 45. Just spit balling here.

Also the mags would be na issue from 45ACP to a smaller caliber.

Of course you can not make a 9mm bbl sized hole take a 40/45 size bbl. You have to go bigger before smaller.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Some 40s will provide you the option of 40, 9x19 and 357Sig.
Some 10mm can provide 10mm, 40 and 357Sig.
Some 38Supers can go 38super, 9x19. 9x221, 9x23 etc. (1911)
Some 9x19s can go 9x19 and 9x21.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Remember that it also depends what you intend to do with it. Either way, defensive or competition, you have some things to weigh. Having owned both, I went with the M&P after owning and shooting XDs for several years. I switched to the M&P for several reasons (all of them defense related) and haven't looked back. At the end of the day, you need to shoot both and then look at one gun's advantages over the other's.

g929

Fanatic
Remember that it also depends what you intend to do with it. Either way, defensive or competition, you have some things to weigh. Having owned both, I went with the M&P after owning and shooting XDs for several years. I switched to the M&P for several reasons (all of them defense related) and haven't looked back. At the end of the day, you need to shoot both and then look at one gun's advantages over the other's.

g929

Fanatic
ok ill like to used for competition and home difence

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
After you shoot both and only if you come to the conclusion that you like both, I would recommend skipping the XD and just go straight to the M&P. If you shoot both and decide you like the XD by a wide margin more than the M&P then go with the XD. You have to want to shoot the gun after you've bought it.

g929

Fanatic
After you shoot both and only if you come to the conclusion that you like both, I would recommend skipping the XD and just go straight to the M&P. If you shoot both and decide you like the XD by a wide margin more than the M&P then go with the XD. You have to want to shoot the gun after you've bought it.
now since im new i don't realy know what to look for to make a diference but any sugetions

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Mitch's advice is right on. You need to find a facility that will rent each gun to you so that you can shoot them both. If you have friends who shoot find out if any of them own these guns and ask to try them out. Offer to provide the ammo and I doubt anyone will turn you down. A caveat on the M&P: Try the gun with all of the three available interchangeable backstraps if necessary. Don't impugn the gun's grip if the first grip size you try doesn't work for you.

Something else bears mentioning: If you don't like either of these guns try another and another until you find something that works for you. Good luck!

Latest posts