Inexpensive communications suggestions ??

Micah3412

Active Fanatic
Any suggestions on good but inexpensive communications equipment? (Something beyond your typical walkie-talkie)

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
2-way radios will give you a 15 to 30 mile range. Some often have multiple frequencies so you can have more than two radios that can talk to each other. Typically, these are less than $75 a pair.

Pigpen

Well-Known Fanatic
Without a license, you'd have to go with a CB. Don't know much about civilian radios though or ham for that matter.

With a good CB, amp and the proper ant. you can transmit pretty far. However, amping it up above FCC regs for CB freqs is a no-no so you'd have to take your chances if you went that route.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
FRS radios are pretty cheap and allow 1-5 miles. GMRS, while technically requiring an FCC license (not a ham license, either) to operate, go further. FRS/GMRS combo radios are pretty easy to find for less than $50.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
This is what I've been able to figure out...

FRS:
Pros - Cheap, simple to use.
Cons - Limited power and range. Think 1 KM or so, and substantially degraded without line of sight.

GMRS:
Pros - Fairly simple. Most have some sort of digital channels for a minor degree of privacy. More power than FRS which means slightly more range, perhaps out to 5KM, again with line of sight. Allowed to use repeaters to extend range.
Cons - Technically requires FCC license.

CB:
Pros - No license. Longer wavelength/lower frequency means that the signal propagates around barriers more effectively. Inexpensive and commonly used.
Cons - Commonly used = more traffic/junk on the airwaves. Longer wavelength means that efficient antennas are longer.

VHF Marine:
Pros - Can talk to boats and many airplanes. Propagates pretty well.
Cons - Not legal except for approved maritime use. Handy if you live on the coast though.

SPOT GPS SATCOM Beacon:
Pros - Alerts emergency services to your location via satellite anywhere in the world.
Cons - Doesn't allow communication, requires official infrastructure to be operational. Good for hunters and outdoorsmen though.

MURS:
Don't know as much about this but some people choose it.

HAM is going to give you the best range and options but requires more gear and a license.

Micah3412

Active Fanatic
I appreciate the responses. Are people here employing radios to communicate with others if there is a SHTF scenario?

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got several FRS/GMRS sets that I used to use with our car club when racing or caravanning. They do work past line-of-human-sight but as mentioned they're a higher freq which by nature are line of sight anyway. I have an FCC license (thanks USAF) so I can use the higher power settings. They are small and if you're not in a vehicle they work very well(with headsets or throat mics) as tac radios.

I have a ham license as well, but most of the ham rigs I've used have been limited by skip distance or power, especially handy-talkies.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:

I have a ham license as well, but most of the ham rigs I've used have been limited by skip distance or power, especially handy-talkies.

I think Yaesu and Icom both make some nice mobile 2 meter and HF radios that can go from a vehicle to a pack using an external battery. Of couorse, if you're camped out somewhere and can "procure" a car battery and power inverter, you can run a 2 meter mobile radio a long time, even at 50 watts. Just need to power down when not in use.

I got rid of my radios a while back because I wasnt using them but I think I'm going to start back up again. I still need to upgrade to General so I can go HF.

I think regular family radios or GRMS are great for a camp site or walking through the woods but worthless on the road.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
We had no problems with GMRS radios in several cars strung out over about a mile of blueridge parkway, and the curves and mountains should shorten the LOS distance quite a bit.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
if the s*** has hit the fan i dont think i will need a liceness for a radio.

my plan is to get 2 handheld that need a liceness, with range, and dont use them unless shtf.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
ok i read about it. still dont know much.

what is the range in talking to another one? or is it one that can go farther using repeaters?

what is MURS channel?

Latest posts