In praise of the famous 1911 .45 ACP

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I posted this on Facebook (of all places) and wonder what type of comments people come back with, given that some of my family members are slightly liberal.

<disclaimer>
Firearms topic (yet again), since we have a gun show this coming weekend...
</disclaimer>
Look at this beautiful photo... This is not some horrific, nasty, evil, murderous, weapon. To me, it is a classic "work of art" that I kind of made my own.
You see, as a retired Yeoman (i.e. "desk jockey") from the Coast Guard, all I remember is the legendary 1911 .45 ACP from bootcamp. I trained with it, qualified with it, and learned about it, just like the M-16, all those years ago.
Fast forward today, and you have Glock, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory... 9mm, .380, .40 cal, .38 special & the powerful .357 Magnum, etc...
But yet, the only thing I am 100% fully capable of handling, understanding, and absolutely confident with, is the timeless classic, legendary, 1911 .45 ACP.
I don't know why, but it is what it is. It is also arguably the only handgun that I can fully disassemble into pieces, and reassemble it, and have it back in perfect operational condition in a matter of minutes!
:cool:

The only downside to this famous handgun, is that it is almost impossible to conceal as it weighs a ton and darn near pulls your pants down! Ha ha ha...

I made one last quick EDIT to my post and also said....
Truth: I also found out that, again, arguably... I most likely have the only known 1911 .45 ACP that has custom made USCG logo checkered grips!

CaptainJack

New Fanatic
I kinda like your story....

Back in the late 70’s & early 80’s, I was also issued a 1911 .45 sidearm. Within the past couple of years have acquired two Colt 1911 .45’s mostly for the nostalgic feeling It brings me when I go shooting. Although I have to say, I am more accurate with my 1911’s which is a bonus.

Most everyone I know at the range who Served and shoots 1911’s feels the same. 1911’s will always be somewhat special for me compared to my other pistols.

Nikrnic

Active Fanatic
I posted this on Facebook (of all places) and wonder what type of comments people come back with, given that some of my family members are slightly liberal.

<disclaimer>
Firearms topic (yet again), since we have a gun show this coming weekend...
</disclaimer>
Look at this beautiful photo... This is not some horrific, nasty, evil, murderous, weapon. To me, it is a classic "work of art" that I kind of made my own.
You see, as a retired Yeoman (i.e. "desk jockey") from the Coast Guard, all I remember is the legendary 1911 .45 ACP from bootcamp. I trained with it, qualified with it, and learned about it, just like the M-16, all those years ago.
Fast forward today, and you have Glock, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory... 9mm, .380, .40 cal, .38 special & the powerful .357 Magnum, etc...
But yet, the only thing I am 100% fully capable of handling, understanding, and absolutely confident with, is the timeless classic, legendary, 1911 .45 ACP.
I don't know why, but it is what it is. It is also arguably the only handgun that I can fully disassemble into pieces, and reassemble it, and have it back in perfect operational condition in a matter of minutes!

The only downside to this famous handgun, is that it is almost impossible to conceal as it weighs a ton and darn near pulls your pants down! Ha ha ha...

I made one last quick EDIT to my post and also said....
Truth: I also found out that, again, arguably... I most likely have the only known 1911 .45 ACP that has custom made USCG logo checkered grips!
Did the FB police take it down?

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I kinda like your story....

Back in the late 70’s & early 80’s, I was also issued a 1911 .45 sidearm. Within the past couple of years have acquired two Colt 1911 .45’s mostly for the nostalgic feeling It brings me when I go shooting. Although I have to say, I am more accurate with my 1911’s which is a bonus.

Most everyone I know at the range who Served and shoots 1911’s feels the same. 1911’s will always be somewhat special for me compared to my other pistols.
I to was issued a 1911. I trusted my life on many occasions to that heavy, old fashion, low capacity, most beautiful, dependable, easy to aim and fire piece of history. I have an assortment of other pistols, my wife asks me every time I open the safe why ? Because I always grab a 1911 and strap it on before I walk out the door. I like all firearms but LOVE and TRUST my 1911's.

Spad

Active Fanatic
I have to say the CG grips are really cool, never seen the like. I have the good fortune of having a number of 1911's. The Rocks shoot just as well as my Colts and Ruger. John Browning's master piece is still number one for me. Spad

Latest posts