IMSI springs

• Thread starter DurningDefenseCustoms
  • Start date
D

DurningDefenseCustoms

anybody using them? feedback?

I am a Wolfe guy, but intrested to know how the C/S compound works?

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
It is funny, but most high end 2011 builders recommend ISMI, while the single stack builders usually recommend Wolfe. Both are great spring, but and this is from personal experience, the ISMI magazine springs for double stack mags, and the ISMI shotgun tube springs all outlast the similar Wolfe offerings at least 3 to one. Chrome, Silicate steels are more resistant to plastic deformation but are a touch more brittle which is why it makes for a good spring material. So there it is, that is my take on it and I have been running their springs since 1998. so take it for what is worth....which is exactly what you paid for this info.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I run ISMI recoil springs in all of my guns & have not had any problems. I can't really comment on a comparison like Kurt because I've never really paid attention. I do know that along with Kurt there are quite a few other knowledgable people that recommend them as well.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

easy Kurt,

I am over it :scout: , and I never said you knew nothing, I respect your experiance and any knowlegde you have to share. But before it even gets started, thanks for info, I have done alot of reading on them, but never tested on them. as I understand it, its spring technology from machine guns, and indy cars, but I dont remember seeing them in the GAL-21's or 240 G'S.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
ISMI bends springs for many different companies and don't put their name on them. You wont find a shotgun mag tube spring on their web site for instance, but if you know who they make them for you know it is an ISMI spring. Chromium silicate springs are very prevalent in the aviation community and with your background you have been using these type of springs for at least 4 years yourself.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

Didnt realize they were that deep into the spring game, the info I got from egw makes them sound like a small operation.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
They are like Nordic Components, the gun spring side is a very small operation, but the other side of the shop is somewhat large, and named differently that ISMI .

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

well I guess this warrants further inspection.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Falling back on my days as a machinist I'd take a chrome silicon spring over a stainless spring any day.

Chrome silicon steel is usually spec'd as SAE/AISI 9254 steel. E.G... good stuff. The only stainless grade that might have a very remote chance of coming close to it in performance would be 17-7PH and it's pretty expensive. And I have my doubts that it would maintain it's performance for as long.

Personally I always try to get ISMI but I'll take a Wolff if that's all that's available.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

I have never had an issue with wolfe, but I am always trying to find a better bang for the buck. If the spring change rate is longer and the price differance is meer pennies, that would translate to a better product.

I am about to do some testing with the marvel everlast recoil system, so I fiqure its a good time to invest in the other areas.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
On a side note, if you talk to Mr. Marvel in the near futur I could use a 2011 .22 mag and a fiber optic front sight for one of his .22 units. I keep forgetting to order them untill I get out the pistol and then it is too late once again.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

haha, ok Kurt,

I will let him know, I think is only about 5 years out on work, so its in the mail! lol

I like Bob a lot, he is a really nice guy, and a wealth of knowlegde. If anyone has the ablity to attend one of his classes, do it, I say again DO IT, Nike baby; just do it.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
No worries, I just got off the phone with Bob and the stuff I need is in the mail tomorrow.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

Didn't think he would answer while teaching in NC, I guess you do have some stroke.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

It's Christmas in Tuttle,

the ransom rest is here, I guess I should start taking bets on who is better, Wilson or kart? :)

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
If you notice the time of my post...it was lunch time when I got him. As for stroke I know a guy at Remington who knows Bob fairly well and since I am doing Reminton a favor, he called Bob and asked if it was alright for me to call...well anyway to make a long story short the parts are on the way. Chatting with Mr. Durning reminded me to actually do it for once. All I know is he answered the phone, I didn't ask where he was.

Edited to change the spelling of "stroke" cause my fingers are fat.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

damn 4 o'clock on the east coast is a late lunch, bob must be working those guys to death, but I still envy them just a tad.

Latest posts