Important lesson learned with 223 reloads

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
So I learned an important lesson last Sunday at my last 3 gun club event regarding my 223 reloads. On our long distance stage I had a couple rounds that would not chamber completely and got jammed in the chamber. The jams were so bad I had to slam the butt of the stock on the ground to release then while pulling the charging handle. The cause was the base was still a little bulged out and not completely resized. Spent the 30 bucks on a case gauge. Sure enough the rounds were fine in length but no go at the base. Well worth the 30 bucks if you don't have one.

So now the fun begins going through the 700 or so reloads I have already done and double checking them. I can see the bullet puller getting some work real soon.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
That's what the full length sizing die is for correct? That's what I have been using and I haven't had any problems like this yet, but I'm fairly new to reloading 223, I've probably shot around 500-750 of my own reloads. I'm just wondering if I should invest in one of these case gauges if I'm using a full length sizing die.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup, I'm using the full length sizing die, just must have gotten complacent with the lock screw being in the right spot. All it took I guess was it being not set correctly just a little which led to my problem. I will tell you I will be putting my brass through the case gauge after re-sizing all the time just for the piece of mind. It is worth the couple bucks investments.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I use the case length gauge as the final inspection for reloading. Some shooters use the guns barrel and "chamber check" their loaded rounds. The philosophy is that if it will fit in the chamber, it will shoot.

I like the case length gauge cause it has tighter tolerances and I don't have to take a gun apart. I find that the case length gauge is especially important when loading .223.

After this step I put all my "match" ammo in marked ammo cans.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Today I'm finishing up correcting my screw up. It's worth the extra step.

Now I can't blame the ammo for the horrible times, hahaha

Latest posts