If you use more than 1 ammo, which do you zero with?

Which to zero with?

• 55gr zero and know holds for 68's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 68gr zero and know hold for 55's

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 55gr zero and dial in the difference when I use the 68's.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I know I have heard a few here say they use more than one ammo in their rifles. Like 55's for 300 and in, and 69's or 77's for 300 and out. I have settled in 55gr Hornady for 300 and in, and 68gr Hornady for 300 and out. 77's didn't do well in my gun.

If you use more than one ammo, whic one do you zero with? I am debating. 80% of my shots will be 300 and closer. So right now I am zeroed for that. My 68's hit 1 1/2" high, and 1/2" left from my 55gr zero.

Should I zero with the 55's and know the hold?

Should I zero with the 68's ad know the hold?

Or should I use the 55gr zero and dial in 6 clicks up and 2 clicks left when I use the 68's? (MOA scope with 1/4MOA clicks)

zero the 68gr's at 250-300 and figure out everything else. Id shoot 68gr at anything 200 and past

My guess is 300and in, youll hit any size target at full scoring value (talking paper) as well as hit any steel with one hold, either bullet.
In other terms, Who cares if you hit a 100yd 10" gong 2" left of center, and are 1/2" left on 35yd paper, with 55gr stuff??

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
^^^That pretty much sums it up^^^

Out to 100 yards all ammo is essentially identical in terms of making hits with the generous target sizes we shoot.
Zero with the long range stuff then Shoot both ammos on the same cardboard target at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 & 300 and take pics for future reference.

jtischauser

Cameron Gonder (gondo) said:
jessee and mike what are you guys using in terms of grains?
I don't reoad so I run cheap .223 55gr hoser ammo from freedom munitions or PMC. I stay away from the 5.56 xm193 types because it's hotter. I run 69gr Sierra MK ammo for my long range. That bullet in a factory load seems to be the most accurate in every rifle I own. I'm sure if you hand load you can get any bullet to be sub MOA accurate.

i load 55rg hornady fmjbt to about 3000fps on a 650 with 2460 and use 69gr smks at a hair under 2800 fps. Those are precision prepped on a rockchucker and loaded with varget

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I have only been loading 223 with 55gr bullets and never gave it much thought concerning the distance. I just thought it was me and my reloads that was causing such a wide pattern on 300 yard targets. I'm not saying those two things don't factor in, but are you saying if I was shooting a heavier bullet, they should be grouping better?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Not really, when I was shooting I was running 55gr vmax out to 300 and didn't have much of a problem unless I did something wrong, the 100 in was just 55gr fmj it would hold 1.5 at 100 and truth with the size of plates we were shooting would have worked out further as well... 1.5 x 3 = 4.5 so on a 10" plate there's room :) I shoot 75gr at stuff out there a ways but it boils down to when you press the trigger where were the sights? Later,

Kirk

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I usually zero at 300 yards with XM193, then for longer ranges I like to use XM193. For close hoser targets I like to run XM193. I try to find a real consistent lot and then get a bunch of it. If I can't get a real good lot I will run a 55 grain Sierra Blitzking at the same velocity as XM193, and use the XM193 for stuff at 200 yards and in. I have never left a stage wishing I had more bullet weight.

jtischauser

KurtM said:
I usually zero at 300 yards with XM193, then for longer ranges I like to use XM193. For close hoser targets I like to run XM193. I try to find a real consistent lot and then get a bunch of it. If I can't get a real good lot I will run a 55 grain Sierra Blitzking at the same velocity as XM193, and use the XM193 for stuff at 200 yards and in. I have never left a stage wishing I had more bullet weight.
What brands? I've never been able to get MOA out of any XM193 type ammo.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Federal. The last two lots they gave me were right at M.O.A. I also got some of their Federal Premium 55 gr Ballistic tips this last go around so I don't have to reload for long range either.

XM193 is the marketing designation for Federal, but there are all sorts of different types of that. there is the bulk "Military" type stuff. The XM193 "Tactical" stuff, and American Eagle black box, and red box, which is what they supply me.

With that said I usually only get that type of performance out of the American Eagle red box which is loaded in Minnesota. The other types are loaded at the Lake City Mo. plant. Now it is a bit hit and miss I had one batch of American Eagle that wouldn't even hold 8 M.O.A. due to faulty flash holes, but for the last 3 years all the lots have been great!

jhjh11

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes priorities are where they need to be. Last time I shot my rifle and the time before that and the 100 times before that XM193

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
KurtM said:
Federal. The last two lots they gave me were right at M.O.A. I also got some of their Federal Premium 55 gr Ballistic tips this last go around so I don't have to reload for long range either.

XM193 is the marketing designation for Federal, but there are all sorts of different types of that. there is the bulk "Military" type stuff. The XM193 "Tactical" stuff, and American Eagle black box, and red box, which is what they supply me.

With that said I usually only get that type of performance out of the American Eagle red box which is loaded in Minnesota. The other types are loaded at the Lake City Mo. plant. Now it is a bit hit and miss I had one batch of American Eagle that wouldn't even hold 8 M.O.A. due to faulty flash holes, but for the last 3 years all the lots have been great!
I thought we talked last year and you were shooting federal black box ar223 or at least thought it was a good option. I started shooting that and with the exception of one lot it has been sub MOA out to 300 out of my wilson arms barrel. It is pretty soft for hosing as well...

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
For most matches I shoot Freedom Munitions 55g FMJ. Under 200 there is almost no difference in that and my handloads. For my longer distance handloads, my Hornady VMax 55g and Nosler 69g OTM's shoot about the same.

benny hill

just checked zero today with black hill 77 match and hornady 55gr steel match. Both loads shoot same poa/poi at 100, 200 and 300 yds, use only 77's at 400 and 500 for wind drift.

Latest posts