If You Have to Carry Kydex, Make it Comfortable

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have to wear a level 2 or higher retention holster when working with the police. I liked the Safariland ALS, but it was NOT comfortable for long term wear. So, I talked to a local lether maker, Jeremy Deer, to see if he could make a leather belt attachment for the holster. It worked out GREAT! Much more comfortable to wear, but still level 2 retention. kydex w leather.JPG

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Sweet idea. I am not a fan of any kydex and the one I do have is being replaced with Warbird leather that I just talked to Paul to get ordered.
I agree in general. I am a leather fan. But, the only level 2 with leather is a thumb snap. (that I know of) Not the best option for reholstering a Block. The ALS enables a very fast draw with minimal practice. I would prefer to carry in all leather, but the retention makes sense for the application.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I was just at my local rural king and noticed they are carrying ALS holsters for 1911s, that's the only model they had but hey we're 1911 fanatics rights!!
I have been looking for one for a 1911. I found one, got it, but it is not lined on the inside like the one I got for the Block...

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Great idea on the ALS, and great looking execution. Thanks for the link.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I will add that I wore the old holster Thursday for 6 hours. My hip and back were hurting... I wore it last night for about the same time, and had very little discomfort. I was standing most of the time both nights. I will probably get him to make one with slightly smaller openings for the belt, but still happy with it.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I purchased a couple of Kydex holsters from "We The People" holsters and they are made in a minimalist fashion. The material is thin, but strong, and fits the gun like a glove. I have both ITWB and an OTWB models. They are we'll made, made in USA, and have proven to be very comfortable. The pricing is reasonable too.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have heard good things about them CECannonJr, but I have to have level ii retention for the kydex. Just my experience, but I have never worn kydex that was as comfortable as leather. Now, drawing and holstering, kydex, hands down.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have heard good things about them CECannonJr, but I have to have level ii retention for the kydex. Just my experience, but I have never worn kydex that was as comfortable as leather. Now, drawing and holstering, kydex, hands down.
Understood. I prefer leather too. I have several of each type. The Kydex is just OK and leather is the way to go for maximum comfort. The We The People holsters are probably the most comfortable Kydex holsters I've seen, but they don't offer the retention you need anyway.

Magicmanmbsc

Fanatic
We FINALLY have a local retired LEO that does some really good leather at reasonable prices. I'm having him remodel 3 shoulder holsters, 1 for cocked and locked for my 1911 other 2 for the old style square trigger guards for a Walther P99 and my retirement S&W 4506. He's doing another for my sig 1076. The 4506 will also carry my 1006. He's doing a copy of a Jackass for my Son's 1933mfg Colt lined to help retain the original finish. All of them for less than an off the shelf.
The only time I have to wear any Kydex is carrying in waist band the couple I have are leather backed and assembled with Chicago screws, the leather that sits above my underwear has foam to absorb sweat. Only 100% Kydex I own are for a Beretta .22 jet fire and a rescue knife. Only reason they are 100% plastic is because both are carried in boot, the Beretta is my favorite little backup but if I can find a reasonable price on the old Taurus PT-22 I'm going to change it out. The older PT-22 is a really as good as some Berettas, when the.40 first came out it was Taurus that realized a heavier slide and stop were needed for better control. I'm not a Taurus fanboy but over the years several of the pistols & Rossi long gun single shot rifle/shotguns have turned out to be as reliable and accurate as super high priced names have a Rossi with 6 barrels to change from a 12/20ga to a .243, 308, 30-06, and a .270 Thats in addition to my old Remingtons, Winchesters and Sears/Western Auto I inherited. The meat all these have put on the table for over 100 years on some are great. Next time you run across a deal on something you consider not worth it if prices are reasonable and it's a solid weapon, buy it. Check older pawn shops and junk & Tandy leather (if your lucky to have one near) you might get lucky. Tandy Leather is hard to find but a student that's looking for a practice project might make you a pretty carved holster for a BBQ pistol. Also most Storebrands were made by Winchester, Remington and Ithaca all before they sold out and quality was high