If you had $550... to spend on a scope...

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking for a scope to put on a .308 bolt gun to use for long range shooting, a little hunting, and whatever else strikes my fancy. It needs to track well, and I would like a mil-dot other mil style reticle.

Here is one I have been eyeing...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/vortex-viper-hs-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-5-15x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Don't know much about Vortex though. Have also looked at the SWFA SS 10x42, with the MRAD retilcle and mil turrets. New at this optic stuff, so any help is great. Thanks.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
The vortex viper PST is a good scope for the money. I wouldn't look past a second focal plane unless you just have to have a first. Bushnells tactical line giant too bad either. I went through long range school with a Bushnell elite fixed 10. Now I have a night force sitting in top my 308. But i got a deal on it or I would have a viper PST.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
The PST may be just out of my range. Thoughts on this one?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/vortex-viper-hs-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-5-15x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Check out the Zeiss scopes on blackfriday sale at midway. I have a slightly better one than the ones on sale but like it better than my Vortex. That said both are nice glass and I am not lookng to get rid of either, Also in the Vortex's defense it did cost about half what the Zeiss did.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the Zeiss, but not sure when i'll be buying, so I'm not really planning on things that are on sale, still being on sale. Also, I think I want exposed turrets.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I could, but I really want to just get a setup that will be solid for a long time. I have read some really good things about Vortex, so as long as I can afford that one, I think that's what I will do.
Not saying the Bushnell is a bad scope, but those Vortex scopes seem very nice.

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
Not to hijack a thread, but the reason the long range world is going to MIL dials with MIL reticles is because it takes that much more math out of the picture. Why make yourself multiply everything by 3.5 (or 3.44 if you want to get really specific) when it comes time for corrections on your dials if you dont have to? With MIL-MIL, what you see is what you get, because the bullet always tells the truth. Also...everyone is going away from dialing for elevation and wind and using holds. It's more accurate from the standpoint of all reticles being laser etched and exactly the same, whereas all the tiny machined parts in your dials are never going to be exactly the same as another scope next to it. Just food for thought. Reticles like what Horus are turning out, such as the H-58 and Tremor2, make holding for wind and elevation at the same time easy.

But just like anything else, it's all shooter preference. Wether you prefer to dial or hold, it all comes down to knowing you data in your head if you have to make a shot fast. :)

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
With a mil dot reticle, I think I will dial range and hold windage. Looked at a Horus reticle today though and yeah, the advantage it would give was obvious. The price tag was a bit more obvious though.....

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
Dialing range and holding windage is a good compromise, especially with a standard mil-dot reticle. Because when you start holding for wind and elevation at the same time on a reticle like that, youre holding in space. Which blows hard. (pun intended)

Latest posts