IDPA Safety Officer Class

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
If you have been following this thread then you know that Mark Thomas has approached the OKCGC about starting a IDPA match at the club. The preliminary conversations with OKCGC have been favorable. Matt Johnson and John Bent have been very supportive. One thing that Mark wants to accomplish before the OKCGC Board meeting is to be able to tell them "we already have xx certified Safety Officers" Luckily for us Jack Ostendorf if hosting an IDPA Safety Officer Class at Oil Capital on Feb 8, 2014.

Here are the details and instructions from Jack on the class. Mark told me that he would refund the cost of your class over a couple of matches ($10 per match) so it really wont' cost you anything in the long run except your time.

If we want this to happen we need to have about 8 or so OKCGC members certified as Safety Officers

Saturday February 8, 2014 (0745-1800 hrs)
Class Held At: Oil Capital Rod & Gun Club, Coweta OK (map attached)
Jack Ostendorf, Safety Officer Instructor
Cost $20 ( Current SO’s Auditing Only--$0)

Please confirm that you plan to attend this class upon receipt of this email. Reply to [email protected]

This class will be taught using the all-new IDPA Safety Officer Class curriculum. Instructional time is approximately 9 hrs. The class is focused on teaching the many elements of safely administering and running an IDPA Course of Fire. It does not attempt to be an exhaustive presentation of the IDPA Rulebook. The class exam that was previously taken during the old curriculum class is now taken on line, prior to the class.

· Class is open to current IDPA members only. (you can join concurrently with the class)
· No previous Safety Officer experience is required.
· Prior to class (by no later than Wednesday January 29th) you must complete and return the IDPA Safety Officer Training Application Form to me . [email protected]
· Prior to class you must take the on line Rulebook test, passing it was a score of 70% or better. I would suggest that you take it during the next few days, to get it out of the way. It is composed of 60 questions based on the current rulebook. The test is open book, with a 180 minute session time limit. You may take the online test again if you do not pass, but only once per 24 hr period. You may pause your exam, then return to it later. The exam software provides immediate feedback at test conclusion regarding questions missed. Please bring a printed copy of your passing test certificate OR email a copy of the same to me. The link to the test is http://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=f3351ae5e8b4a55c Password for the test is safety in all lower case. Those auditing class are exempt from taking this test as you have already taken and passed the online SO quiz prior to September 29th.
· Bring your IDPA gun, ammo and match shooting gear, just as you would to shoot a regular match. You will be using it during the range portion of the class.
· Bring a sack or box lunch. Refrigerator, freezer and microwave available in the classroom building. There is NOT time to go into town for lunch.
· Students will be individually evaluated on their total day class performance, on the required IDPA Safety Officer Candidate Evaluation Form.
· IDPA does not currently have any announced plans to print a paper copy of the most current Rulebook (September 13, 2013). If you want your own booklet size printed copy I will provide one at my cost ($5). Let me know that you want one by no later than Wednesday January 29th; I will bring those requested to class on the 8th.
· This class involves considerable outdoor activity time, about 4 hours or more. Please be dressed to be outside that minimum time frame.

Questions?

Jack Ostendorf
[email protected]
cell 918 857 7320

View attachment 6260
View attachment 6261

Attachments

• IDPA Safety Officer Training Application Form (Rev 130629).pdf
    260.2 KB · Views: 354
  • OC MAPSep04v1.jpg
    OC MAPSep04v1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 154

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'd like to take this. I hope I can pass my online exam considering I've never shot a match and don't know many if the rules.

B

Beau

So I'm not an okcgc member. Should I not bother doing this then? I want to shoot idpa but I know I'm not going to be able to make every match.

penman53

Fanatic
Thanks for starting this post. I didn't know that we had to take a test prior to taking the class I had better get on the stick. BTW I have spoken with Jack about the afternoon matches, he says that he has been there and done that and we will lose too many shooters in the afternoon if we start in the afternoon in the summer and I must agree with him. However if anyone else wants to have a Saturday match, I have no problem with someone being a "Co Chair" and run that match on Saturday's. I'm sure that we could have shooters show up for that match also. I would like feedback from you guys. Its your match to.

Thanks Mark Thomas [email protected]

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Keep in mind.... Registering a IDPA club is outside the OKCGC. The IDPA ranks shooters etc.... And they can suggest some scoring software that works good

If you get a SO card you can use it at any IDPA match if you need to.

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
If you have been following this thread then you know that Mark Thomas has approached the OKCGC about starting a IDPA match at the club. The preliminary conversations with OKCGC have been favorable. Matt Johnson and John Bent have been very supportive. One thing that Mark wants to accomplish before the OKCGC Board meeting is to be able to tell them "we already have xx certified Safety Officers" Luckily for us Jack Ostendorf if hosting an IDPA Safety Officer Class at Oil Capital on Feb 8, 2014.

Here are the details and instructions from Jack on the class. Mark told me that he would refund the cost of your class over a couple of matches ($10 per match) so it really wont' cost you anything in the long run except your time.

If we want this to happen we need to have about 8 or so OKCGC members certified as Safety Officers

Saturday February 8, 2014 (0745-1800 hrs)
Class Held At: Oil Capital Rod & Gun Club, Coweta OK (map attached)
Jack Ostendorf, Safety Officer Instructor
Cost $20 ( Current SO’s Auditing Only--$0)

Please confirm that you plan to attend this class upon receipt of this email. Reply to [email protected]

This class will be taught using the all-new IDPA Safety Officer Class curriculum. Instructional time is approximately 9 hrs. The class is focused on teaching the many elements of safely administering and running an IDPA Course of Fire. It does not attempt to be an exhaustive presentation of the IDPA Rulebook. The class exam that was previously taken during the old curriculum class is now taken on line, prior to the class.

· Class is open to current IDPA members only. (you can join concurrently with the class)
· No previous Safety Officer experience is required.
· Prior to class (by no later than Wednesday January 29th) you must complete and return the IDPA Safety Officer Training Application Form to me . [email protected]
· Prior to class you must take the on line Rulebook test, passing it was a score of 70% or better. I would suggest that you take it during the next few days, to get it out of the way. It is composed of 60 questions based on the current rulebook. The test is open book, with a 180 minute session time limit. You may take the online test again if you do not pass, but only once per 24 hr period. You may pause your exam, then return to it later. The exam software provides immediate feedback at test conclusion regarding questions missed. Please bring a printed copy of your passing test certificate OR email a copy of the same to me. The link to the test is http://www.classmarker.com/online-test/start/?quiz=f3351ae5e8b4a55c Password for the test is safety in all lower case. Those auditing class are exempt from taking this test as you have already taken and passed the online SO quiz prior to September 29th.
· Bring your IDPA gun, ammo and match shooting gear, just as you would to shoot a regular match. You will be using it during the range portion of the class.
· Bring a sack or box lunch. Refrigerator, freezer and microwave available in the classroom building. There is NOT time to go into town for lunch.
· Students will be individually evaluated on their total day class performance, on the required IDPA Safety Officer Candidate Evaluation Form.
· IDPA does not currently have any announced plans to print a paper copy of the most current Rulebook (September 13, 2013). If you want your own booklet size printed copy I will provide one at my cost ($5). Let me know that you want one by no later than Wednesday January 29th; I will bring those requested to class on the 8th.
· This class involves considerable outdoor activity time, about 4 hours or more. Please be dressed to be outside that minimum time frame.

Questions?

Jack Ostendorf
[email protected]
cell 918 857 7320

attachicon.gif
IDPA Safety Officer Training Application Form (Rev 130629).pdf
attachicon.gif
OC MAPSep04v1.jpg
Please note the following important points;
  1. If you want to take this or any other IDPA Safety Officer class you must first join IDPA. You can do it on line. See link https://www.idpa.com/join-now
  2. Next you need to fill out then send the SO Application to me in advance of the class, preferably before January 29th. A PDF via an email is fine.
  3. Then you need to take the online SO Canidate pre-test. Details in the above. Remember to either bring a copy of your "I passed" certificate to class OR send me a copy as a PDF in an email prior to class.
  4. Generally SO Candidates need to have shoot at least 6 IDPA matches. It is necessary to waive this in he interests of getting a new club populated with home-area SO's.
  5. The class is a fast-paced 9 hour journey to becoming a SO. Lots of individual participation and physical activity, including shooting with your IDPA-compliant gear, is required to complete the course. Candidates are individiually graded.
  6. Read the rest of the information please.
This class is NOT:
  1. A "how to shoot IDPA" primer for those only interested in the competitive aspects of the sport.
  2. A "teach me the whole rulebook." Candidates are responsible for a good knowledge of the Rulebook before class. Not a perfect knowledge; just a good one.
SO's are the lifeblood of a successful IDPA match. They are there to make the match first safe, then fun. The SO certification is good worldwide for IDPA.

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Beau said:
So I'm not an okcgc member. Should I not bother doing this then? I want to shoot idpa but I know I'm not going to be able to make every match.
IDPA pulls its SO's from everywhere in the world. I would certainly encourage any of those in the OKC area to make the short drive to Tulsa to take the class, regardless of their club affiliations.

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I'd like to take this. I hope I can pass my online exam considering I've never shot a match and don't know many if the rules.
The test is online AND better yet OPEN BOOK. You can pause the test if you get tired, then come back to it. Passing is 70% which should be a snap for an open book quiz. The purpose the the test is to get you familiar with the rulebook and how its laid out. The questions will run you back and forth through it, so you will pick up lots of information in the quiz answer searching process.

It would be best that yes, you had been able to shoot six or so matches before taking the test. Alas, this is not possible when establishing a new club.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
greygoat said:
The test is online AND better yet OPEN BOOK. You can pause the test if you get tired, then come back to it. Passing is 70% which should be a snap for an open book quiz. The purpose the the test is to get you familiar with the rulebook and how its laid out. The questions will run you back and forth through it, so you will pick up lots of information in the quiz answer searching process.

It would be best that yes, you had been able to shoot six or so matches before taking the test. Alas, this is not possible when establishing a new club.
Open book doesn't help Jesse. He failed the USPSA RO test and that was open book also.

penman53

Fanatic
Jeff said:
Keep in mind.... Registering a IDPA club is outside the OKCGC. The IDPA ranks shooters etc.... And they can suggest some scoring software that works good

If you get a SO card you can use it at any IDPA match if you need to.
I have talked with Jack about the scoring software and plan on plugging in a number for buying it but the one Jack uses in Tulsa only sells updates to they software but new copies. There is another one in the works and until then we will have to use an Excel spreadsheet. I have a copy of that already

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
penman53 said:
I have talked with Jack about the scoring software and plan on plugging in a number for buying it but the one Jack uses in Tulsa only sells updates to they software but new copies. There is another one in the works and until then we will have to use an Excel spreadsheet. I have a copy of that already

Beach bunny is pretty much out of business

Try Snap Score, we have used it locally and at major matches. It is price comparable to Beach Bunny and the guys who wrote it live here in TX https://snapscore.us/

Jared LaVarnway

Well-Known Fanatic
Does Practiscore not work for IDPA?
The last time I saw Practiscore being used for IDPA was last year at the Arkansas state match, and it was a cluster %$@# to say the least. I don't know if that had anything to do with those using it, or what, but at that specific match it did not work well.

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
CoolBreeze said:
The last time I saw Practiscore being used for IDPA was last year at the Arkansas state match, and it was a cluster %$@# to say the least. I don't know if that had anything to do with those using it, or what, but at that specific match it did not work well.
The biggest issue with practiscore and IDPA is: It is all or nothing. there is no host software to receive the data. If you think about USPSA's EZwinscore it takes in the data from Practiscore and can be manipulated etc. (most importantly it is NOT overwritten from subsequent updates). In IDPA there is no host software to receive the scores from practiscore. Thus if you sync garbage into one of the units (or ALL of the units as the case was at AR State IDPA last year) you pretty much screwed the pooch for getting the scores.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I noticed that CASA is using Practiscore for their IDPA match. Maybe talk to them when the time comes.

www.casarange.com

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going. It took me all of about 30 min to join and fill out the app. The test took just under 45 min. (It was timed). The class will likely be postponed until march 8. Go take the test. Buy a vest. Have more stuff to shoot.

Jesse Tischauser said:
I totally failed on getting any of this done. Anybody going?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
WillR said:
I'm going. It took me all of about 30 min to join and fill out the app. The test took just under 45 min. (It was timed). The class will likely be postponed until march 8. Go take the test. Buy a vest. Have more stuff to shoot.
I got a vest. I got thru #10 in the test. If it postponed until next month I can make it.