IDPA attire

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Do all IDPA matches require the vest or massively oversized shirt or are you able to draw strong side or appendix?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
mtnman1 said:
Do all IDPA matches require the vest or massively oversized shirt
Your concealment garment has to cover your holster & magazines with your arms outstretched perpendicular to the ground. As long as it meets that standard you can do whatever.

or are you able to draw strong side or appendix?
Strong side yes, appendix no. If you want to junk carry in competition you're stuck with USPSA Limited, L-10, or Open.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
Your concealment garment has to cover your holster & magazines with your arms outstretched perpendicular to the ground. As long as it meets that standard you can do whatever.

Strong side yes, appendix no. If you want to junk carry in competition you're stuck with USPSA Limited, L-10, or Open.
So I could wear a regular tshirt and holster IWB as long as said requirements are met?

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
I still plan on using a bath robe.
lol. It's not so much the look that I'm concerned about.... ok it definitely is, hahahaa.. I just feel like the purpose of IDPA is to keep it as close to a real situation as possible so I would want to carry as such.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:

Didn't they start to allow appendix carry in club level matches if the club agreed on it?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
mtnman1 said:
I just feel like the purpose of IDPA is to keep it as close to a real situation as possible so I would want to carry as such.
this is a good thing to do. Train to use your equipment as you would normally wear it.
I don't really get to do much live fire training with my carry piece from concealment, but I do make a point to spend at least 10-15 minutes 3 to 4 times a week drawing from concealment and putting sights on target dry firing with my carry piece.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
jeffhughes said:
Didn't they start to allow appendix carry in club level matches if the club agreed on it?
As I understand it, the "not for competition" division allows for guns that aren't otherwise legal but the concealment, holster placement, etc. rules remain in place.

The Antichrome said:
I was wondering if it was included but I realized that I didn't care enough to look it up.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
jeffhughes said:
Appendix... no go.
home office disallows "Club level" allowances or variations.

Liability is tough enough ....shoulder, crossdraw and small- of- back have probitions also.

Sweeping your body gets a DQ in the latest rule change

Opinion.... strong hand hip will never obsolete and is about the safest way to draw in the venue anyway. For me... i still have to mix it up... and carry crossdraw on horseback, shoulder holster on occasion and use an ankle holster as needed.... but playtime and most of the time its strong side hip.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
8.5.1 Criteria of an IDPA Legal Holster / Holster Requirements: 8.5.1.1. Must be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear. 8.5.1.2. Must be a strong side hip holster worn inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waist band (OWB). 8.5.1.3. Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt. 8.5.1.4. Must prevent activation of the trigger while holstered. 8.5.1.5. Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant. 8.5.1.6. Adjustable cant holsters are legal if bolts must be removed and repositioned for cant adjustment. Inside the waistband (IWB) holsters are exempt from this rule. 8.5.1.7. Must hold the firearm with enough tension to allow the wearer to complete normal daily tasks without fear of losing the weapon. 8.5.1.8. Must be constructed of normal thickness common holster making materials (leather, Kydex, plastic, nylon, etc.). 8.5.1.9. For male shooters, the holster must carry firearm so that the entire front strap (to the trigger guard) is at or above the top of the belt. IWB holsters are exempt from this rule. 8.5.1.10. For female shooters, the holster must carry the firearm no lower than the heel of the butt at the top of the belt. 8.5.1.11. Must be positioned on the belt so that the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body. 8.5.1.12. For IDPA purposes, the centerline of the body originates in the center of the armpit and goes straight down. 8.5.1.13. All retention devices on the holster must be used. 8.5.1.14. Retention devices may be permanently removed or permanently disabled, but not temporarily

I know Mitch likes rule books......these are the IDPA holster rules

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Either he thinks it's bullshit that a sport that promotes itself as concealed carry training outlaws a very popular method of carry, or he thinks that IDPA is right to avoid the potential liability of idiots shooting themselves in the dick at matches.

USPSA is all about freedom though. Freedom to move, shoot, and reload however you like. And freedom to shoot yourself in the dick.

Dancer4Life

Long Live The Republic, God Bless America!
Either he thinks it's bullshit that a sport that promotes itself as concealed carry training outlaws a very popular method of carry, or he thinks that IDPA is right to avoid the potential liability of idiots shooting themselves in the dick at matches.USPSA is all about freedom though. Freedom to move, shoot, and reload however you like. And freedom to shoot yourself in the dick.

LMFAO!!!!!!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Dancer4Life said:
Either he thinks it's bullshit that a sport that promotes itself as concealed carry training outlaws a very popular method of carry, or he thinks that IDPA is right to avoid the potential liability of idiots shooting themselves in the dick at matches.USPSA is all about freedom though. Freedom to move, shoot, and reload however you like. And freedom to shoot yourself in the dick.

LMFAO!!!!!!
And that, gentlemen, is the essence of "games". However, the Michulec's, Seeklanders' and others who shine in one venue shine in all of them.

Id suggest to those who want " real world experience" to go buy some rent houses in your affordable 'hoods and do your own collections.

For a little history lesson....appendix carry has come and gone several times since the handgun became a viable weapon. The current rage is the second appendix revival since I started carrying guns in the late 70's. So... this too shall pass.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Dancer4Life said:

LMFAO!!!!!!
Not to be a prick here.... but your gonna have to show me where IDPA promotes its game as " training". Methinks you're confusing Mas Ayoobs opinions about the value of the game.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Finally... if you dont want to shoot any of the other sports... respect them. NRA hosts a lot of stuff many of you folks would never take up. Lack of interest, ability to invest in equipment or time to hone the skills needed probably drive the fear to explore ouside our limits.

3 gun and USPSA are outgrowths that happened when youngbloods went off the reservation for games they found suited to their preference.

As much as we think " our games" are the living end.... we still cant fill a venue like Camp Perry has for the last 125 years.

Shotgun sports? SKEET AND TRAP, at the highest levels have paid out cash to winners for years.

If appendix carry in IDPA is of glaring consequence to you... join,shoot,get involved and change the rules. If you dont care for the way it is now- stay home, but dont diparage the game and discourage others from trying it.

Latest posts