Ideas for gifts from Father to Son

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Marshal F said:
I would also go with a father, son trip. I have many, many great memories of my father but our father, son trips stand out the most. Seems like I remember every little detail. All gifts can be broken, lost or stolen but memories last a life time and can always be talked about at family gathering etc. Unless you go to Thailand then you might have to leave some part out!
this is by far the best suggestion, all studies show that money is best spent on "memories" like trips (i have read some books on this, but the short video below somewhat explains it.) I am sure that every kid is different, so just buying something for them they may or may not appreciate it. I have never worn a watch, nor would i ever, i am not sentimental (not only do i not wear my wedding ring, but i have tried to convince my wife to sell hers), etc.. so something like a watch would just sit somewhere and i would never think about it again.

I think the best idea is to look at each child uniquely and get something specific to their personalities and strengths... for example
kid 1 -huge sports fan, loves football - tickets to super bowl
kid 2 - loves video games -tickets to video games live or some convention
kid 3 - really loves art - take him to see some art show in Cali or something (sorry don't know anything about art)
kid 4 - really loves "giving" -take him on some type of mission trip to help a cause he is passionate about..

it is very easy to give things that we are passionate about i.e. guns, but true love and true giving is looking at the other person and providing for them what they love and are passionate about... maybe will be able to make better suggestions if you give us an idea of each kids personality..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIkdWxotKw

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
benjamin-benjamin said:
this is by far the best suggestion, all studies show that money is best spent on "memories" like trips (i have read some books on this, but the short video below somewhat explains it.) I am sure that every kid is different, so just buying something for them they may or may not appreciate it. I have never worn a watch, nor would i ever, i am not sentimental (not only do i not wear my wedding ring, but i have tried to convince my wife to sell hers), etc.. so something like a watch would just sit somewhere and i would never think about it again.

I think the best idea is to look at each child uniquely and get something specific to their personalities and strengths... for example
kid 1 -huge sports fan, loves football - tickets to super bowl
kid 2 - loves video games -tickets to video games live or some convention
kid 3 - really loves art - take him to see some art show in Cali or something (sorry don't know anything about art)
kid 4 - really loves "giving" -take him on some type of mission trip to help a cause he is passionate about..

it is very easy to give things that we are passionate about i.e. guns, but true love and true giving is looking at the other person and providing for them what they love and are passionate about... maybe will be able to make better suggestions if you give us an idea of each kids personality..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIkdWxotKw
Wow, what an awesome post. Good job sir!

White Kid

The American Reaper
A Swiss Army pocket knife wouldn't be bad, Spyderco makes great knifes, along with Benchmade, CRKT, and Boker! A Puma knife would be AMAZING but EXPENSIVE!
A nice watch would be great for a gift as well!
A handmade wallet wound't be bad either, I have my dad's handmade wallet with his name on it.

White Kid

The American Reaper
poopgiggle said:
I want to say a Case knife. They look like something that you keep for years and say "my dad got this for me when I was 18." They can get a $20 Gerber folder for actual tough jobs.

I don't know enough about knives to say if Case actually makes good ones or not. I just like the style.
Case makes some good knifes and then not so good knifes, I don't know much on Case knifes but something like Spyderco or Boker ain't bad at all, or Cold Steel!

soonerfan

Fanatic
benjamin-benjamin said:
Oldest boy, 15, loves music, soccer, camping, snow skiing, boy scouts, reading. You gave me the idea of taking him to a professional soccer game. I'm sure he would love a nice knife as he already has a collection.

The youngest 3 don't really have any passions yet.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Alexander Pharr said:
Case makes some good knifes and then not so good knifes, I don't know much on Case knifes but something like Spyderco or Boker ain't bad at all, or Cold Steel!
nah man after ben's post I have to go with memories.

I have managed to lose a bunch of **** over the years but I haven't lost pheasant hunting with my dad or my grandpa teaching me how to hunt ducks over your limit without getting caught.

White Kid

The American Reaper
poopgiggle said:
nah man after ben's post I have to go with memories.

I have managed to lose a bunch of **** over the years but I haven't lost pheasant hunting with my dad or my grandpa teaching me how to hunt ducks over your limit without getting caught.
Yeah, memories you can't lose (Well you can but that's a totally different story)!
Now, I've never gone hunting before so I don't know what it's like to hunt and all that, even though I have my hunter's permit thing. But a good memory can't be beat!

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
I know you said probably not a firearm but a Browning Citori grade VI over under is about as timeless and manly as you can get in my opinion.

Latest posts