I need help choosing between Factory and Practical please

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Hey guys, I'm really hoping to get some help from you experts. I started shooting a small club match 6 months ago. Then, this past weekend I shot the Atlanta 3gun match, which was more structured/official 3gn rules type match and was much more difficult/faster paced. I need to work some more on my shotgun loading and stage planning. However, I also learned some things about my gear and need to make a couple tweaks one way or the other.

Rifle: Everything at both the "outlaw" match and the 3gn match is 100yds or less. I have a lot of experience shooting AR15's with red dots in the "tactical" arena and am thus very comfortable with using one. I ran this weekend's match with a Leupold 1.5-5 and the 1.5 really slowed me down. Conversely, I only used magnification on one stage and even then only on 3X. I'm ditching the Leupold 1.5-5 for sure, but debating about whether to try to stay in Practical with a 1-X scope or drop down to Factory and run the Aimpoints I'm familiar with. I feel confident shooting the 100yd max at these matches with a red dot. My vision is excellent. Where I wonder is if/when I go shoot a major match. Also (and this might get a chuckle) I already have an SBR set up with an Aimpoint T1 and I can't get over the nagging feeling that if I'm going to have a longer gun, it should have more scope to make use of the extra length. At the same time, I really do love and have fun with the simplicity/speed of an Aimpoint. Magnified optics on AR's (I've tried Acogs, Aimpoint + magnifier, Eotech + magnifier, Bushnell PCL 1-4, Leupold 1.5-5) always end up frustrating me for the weight and speed penalties.

Shotgun: I'm currently shooting a 21" Benelli M1 with a Nordic +5 (basically flush with the barrel). This gives me 8 in the tube + 1 chambered, which works for either Factory or Practical. However, I feel like if I decide to go Practical, then I should swap to a +7 tube so I can load 2 after the buzzer and/or be able to load more in one "reload" during a stage.

Pistol: I'm shooting a Glock 17 with factory mags. When I read the rules I didn't see a capacity limit, only a magazine length limit. Then I saw a video where James Cassanova mentioned that you could only load 15 in the pistol mag. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Ok, bottom line question:
1) Get a red dot for the rifle, leave the shotgun alone and shoot Factory
or
2) Get a 1-X scope for the rifle, get a tube extension, and shoot Practical

Thanks!

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
If I read this right you have two rifles? If you have a sbr setup with a T-1 there is nothing stopping you from shooting that and I'm sure inside a 100 yards it will do fine. Build the other rifle will a 1x whatever. I currently run a Leupold 1.5x4 with no issues. But that's because it's what I'm used to. I'm looking forward to picking up a strike eagle from vortex when they become available. Some matches I shoot out to 300 and I would struggle with a red dot at those distances. Shoot what works for you!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I load 22 in my M&P 9mm mags for 3 gun. I don't know what the 15 round limit is about, but I don't shoot major 3 gun matches around the country so maybe others have different rules.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
In factory you can only load 15 in your pistol. It's essentially a production division for three gun. No more than 30 rounds in your AR, no AR mag base pads, your shotgun tube can not be capable of holding more than 8 rounds, and the 15 round pistol limit mentioned.

It seems like you're already setup for the factory division, but you could easily swap shotty tubes and throw a scope on your AR to move into practical.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
You can still run a red dot in practical.

As said before, it seems you are setup for factory already, shoot that for a few more matches, then if you want to upgrade your mags and shotgun extension go for it and shoot practical

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
I run factory at A3G, it is more fun. Just shoot factory until you decide you want to buy a big boy 1-6 scope. You are all setup for it and sounds like you are shooting mostly bay style matches. It really is a great division to learn fundamentals like pistol reloads, ar reloads, and shotgun load planning. If you have good vision you might also consider shooting factory until your eyes get older... that is essentially what i am doing. I think factory is more fun... it is blatantly obvious who has good fundamentals and I love the new rules for it. If you move to practical and really want to be competitive you will likely want a 12 round tube, 140mm base pads for pistol, and at least 46rnd ar mags, and a 1-6x vortex or swaro optic. Im in chattanooga and shoot a lot of local matches... if you need any help feel free to hit me up on here or on facebook.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If you are used to red dots the 1.5X is going to take a while to get used to. When I started I had a 1.25-4 and it worked but the minute I switched to 1-4X it was way easier and subsequently faster.

I'd run the red dot and shoot factory for now. Sell the 1.5X scope and save up for a 1-4X or 1-6X and a nordic coupler and a tube extension for later on. You will eventually want to shoot practical because that is where all the action is at.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
bulletman said:
Jesse do you run coupled 30 or 40 round mags, With base pads too?
I have a set of coupled 30's, coupled 35's, coupled 40's, and coupled 45's. I need to add a set of coupled 20's too. The reason I have them all is for prone shooting in case I need a certain height for a port or to shoot over grass or extra ammo. You never know what you'll see at a 3-gun match. The proper height mags can mean all the difference when monopoding off them.

Latest posts