I need a shotgun reload method

lablover

Fanatic
Just starting in 3 gun and can't figure what way I want to practice my shotgun reloads. I was watching I think it was Pat Kelley put the shotgun over his right shoulder and load 2 at a time. For me that seems like it would be the most comfortable for me. I just can seem to find any video of what (i thought) I saw.

Any advice? I have my first match in a few weeks...Polar Match. and I want to get the right shell caddies.

Thanks Guys

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If I was starting over again today I would start with the Load Two method that Pat Kelleys does. You can learn more at the carbon arms website. They manufacture they caddys Pat uses.

I would also learn the weak hand method as it is a valuable skill as well but takes a lot more time to master.

roklock

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
If I was starting over again today I would start with the Load Two method that Pat Kelleys does. You can learn more at the carbon arms website. They manufacture they caddys Pat uses.
Ok, why? I am in the same boat as the OP. This is the first post I have read on this topic actually saying this. It would seem that the majority of the top guys vid's show them doing the weakhand reload. Was the weakhand reload the "first" method accepted before "load two"?

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I was teaching one of my friends last night how to load a shotgun for the first. I had him try both the load 2 and weak hand. After about 30 minutes I put him on the clock and he was at 7 seconds for 8 on the load 2 and 10.5 weak hand. Load two is much faster to learn no doubt but you still need to know how to weak hand load, there are a lot of situations you will run into where its the best option. Also it doesn't matter how fast you can load one time out of ten in the comfort of your own home, put yourself on the clock under stress and see how it works out for you. I can load 8 weak hand on a good run in the mid 6's after a years practice and I got my best load two yesterday in 3.4(that's a one out of ten run) after about 2 months practice.(add a second to each in a match) To conclude my rant both have a place in our game and if you know how to do both well you will have a better chance to win. I would consider neither "obsolete".

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Jake Burki said:
I was teaching one of my friends last night how to load a shotgun for the first. I had him try both the load 2 and weak hand. After about 30 minutes I put him on the clock and he was at 7 seconds for 8 on the load 2 and 10.5 weak hand. Load two is much faster to learn no doubt but you still need to know how to weak hand load, there are a lot of situations you will run into where its the best option. Also it doesn't matter how fast you can load one time out of ten in the comfort of your own home, put yourself on the clock under stress and see how it works out for you. I can load 8 weak hand on a good run in the mid 6's after a years practice and I got my best load two yesterday in 3.4(that's a one out of ten run) after about 2 months practice.(add a second to each in a match) To conclude my rant both have a place in our game and if you know how to do both well you will have a better chance to win. I would consider neither "obsolete".

This!!!

roklock

Active Fanatic
Jake Burki said:
Thanks, this helps a lot. From a beginner's prospective and to also limit $ exposure for just trying out the game.

Jungleweasle

Fanatic
I just ordered 2 of the 6-up with Tek-lok from Brownelles. I am planning on wearing them side by side to give me a total of 12 rounds. It was quite a bit cheaper to by 2 of the 6-up's versus 3 of the 4-up's. I'm not sure if that is a mistake or not??? But I look forward to giving it a try.

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
My first practice session was today. I have two 4X and one 4X4 AP customs on the left hip and 2 Taccom 6X duoloads on the right hip. Don't have a timer, but just worked on not flubbing the dummie shells and being consistant. Weakloading showed nice improvement over time and the two-at-a-time method with the Taccom was kinda wierd but improving. I can see how the loading over the shoulder method could be faster, especially with practice.

For now, I'll learn both and try not to smack a hole in my flatscreen while I'm walking around reloading the shotgun...

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
I don't think there is a recognized HOA, Jesse??? good question though

I figured it was obvious since the topic was reloading method by hand that it would be an easy guess as to what division I was refering to, i'll try and be more obvious next time,thanks for bringing my oversight to my attention.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with Jake
in Arkansas at the major 3 gun a guy was very fast with the grab 4 load 2. Several times when he would fumble shells he might drop 6 out of 8 that plays hell when there is only shot even worse when there are both slugs & shot
but when it was smooth he was very quick.

dennishoddy

Yeah, the guy that just won the WORLD PRACTICAL SHOTGUN championships in Hungary is pretty old and obsolete!!!!!! :eek:nthequiet:

There is nobody on this board that is not totally impressed with his accomplishments.

Kurt is at the level we all just hope to get close to.

We appreciate you and Kurt's input as veterans in this sport that have paved the way for the new folks in this sport

If it wasn't for the pathfinders like you guys, where would this sport even be?

Your business contributes to not only the shooting community, but the military that keeps us safe in our homes.

We hope that both of you continue to contribute, as your input is worth gold.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts