I know there are gamers but really?

dennishoddy

We use 3/8" thick conveyor belt at our range as target backers. Easy to staple through, and it takes thousands of rounds before needing to be replaced. A .380 Ball ammo from my Keltec at 30 or so degrees angle will go through it.
That being said, we find bullets stuck in it occasionally. Mostly .38 wad cutters.

I'll have to agree with Mike. Probably a pass through from another target. Cool pic though.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
As a nurse that sees GSW's (gun shot wounds), I am always amazed at the differences in what will penetrate and what won't. I've seen a .22 enter at the elbow and travel lust under the skin all the way to the back behind the scapula--no damage done other than pain! I've seen a .45 enter a leg and not even get to bone and just stopped about an inch in. I've also seen a .45 go through right leg, left leg, and into another person. It is crazy and I assume the variables of distance, ricochet, what it already passed through, and hollow point versus FMJ all play a part. Coolest job ever would be studying and experimenting to see which bullets will pass through what mediums. I would love that!

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I am glad that bullet was plated so no one could say it was mine

& Jennifer I remember the first time I shot at a can of peaches with a 357 magnum hollow point the can blew all to pieces you could smell fresh fruit in the air but could only find a few small remnants of peaches.

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
Jennifer S. said:
As a nurse that sees GSW's (gun shot wounds), I am always amazed at the differences in what will penetrate and what won't. I've seen a .22 enter at the elbow and travel lust under the skin all the way to the back behind the scapula--no damage done other than pain! I've seen a .45 enter a leg and not even get to bone and just stopped about an inch in. I've also seen a .45 go through right leg, left leg, and into another person. It is crazy and I assume the variables of distance, ricochet, what it already passed through, and hollow point versus FMJ all play a part. Coolest job ever would be studying and experimenting to see which bullets will pass through what mediums. I would love that!
There are some liberals I would like to see used as a first test medium, if the first results were inconclusive you could try some more.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
scubor2 said:
There are some liberals I would like to see used as a first test medium, if the first results were inconclusive you could try some more.
That won't work. We'd never learn anything about bullet effects. :devil:

dennishoddy

I've kind of been interested in terminal ballistics over the years. There are several blogs out there from Medical examiners that detail what they have seen in the course of their jobs. Jennifer is spot on.

If you compare the ME's results and then look at the FBI standard for penetration using Gel and a few layers of denim, its pretty obvious that the FBI's results mean nothing in how the real world ballistics work when buttons, cell phones in pockets, belt buckles, and rib bones come into play.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
dennishoddy said:
If you compare the ME's results and then look at the FBI standard for penetration using Gel and a few layers of denim, its pretty obvious that the FBI's results mean nothing in how the real world ballistics work when buttons, cell phones in pockets, belt buckles, and rib bones come into play.

And pure luck and the good Lord being on their side! I swear I've seen people that by all scientific evidence should be dead, yet they aren't. Then there are those that are unlucky as hell, and a fluke accident kills them.

Latest posts