I did something incredibly careless today.

David2U

Active Fanatic
Geesh, I did something incredibly careless today. I was at the local plumbing supply looking at a new stainless steel double sink. I was holding the main weight of the sink with my right hand.. with my fingers through the open hole where the drain would normally be. I went to turn it over to look at the other side and slid my hand around the opening. It sliced a 1 1/4" long cut about 1/4-3/8" deep around the outside edge of my index finger.. just below the large finger joint in the meaty section. Bled like a slaughtered hog. That stainless steel was as sharp as a razor blade.

I put pressure on it, went home and washed the outside off pretty well. Painted it with Mecuricome and bandaged it tight. Thank God it doesn't hurt and has stopped bleeding.

It is a wonder I didn't cut a tendon.

It was a potent reminder to me that we have to keep our wits about us all the time.

3c1065d7-f577-4b71-a310-69d7c228c18a_145.jpg

David2U

Active Fanatic
I got it stopped bleeding and is sealed shut.. so now it looks like a paper cut.. so a photo wouldn't show much. I was about ready to glue it together with super glue.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I fix restaurant equipment daily. Everything is stainless. That stuff holds a good edge. It sure will jump out and bite ya!

David2U

Active Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
Well...

Did you at least buy it after you bled all over it? I try hard to not let my DNA get on the black market. It's valuable stuff.
I'll be going back tomorrow and getting it.. or at least the one under it. My salty blood might have pitted or stained the stainless steel on the one that cut me.. I'll leave it for someone else. :D

Just kidding, I'll get that one.

I was surprised how cheap a good insulated stainless steel double sink sells for. I expected them to be pretty expensive.. given how much a stainless steel exterior finish ads to the price of a major appliance like a stove, oven or dishwasher.

I currently have a 30 year old 7" deep harvest gold porcelain over cast iron double sink. I was wanting to put in a 8" deep stainless model. It was priced at only $123. But it turns out that my drain opening on the wall behind the sink is high enough that hooking up the garbage disposal and new dishwasher connections under the sink might not leave me enough room for good drainage / the P trap.. so I'm gonna have to go back with a 7" deep sink. And they are only $97.

Had the plumbers out this evening to see what they would need to get the job done.. hoping they can do the job on Wednesday or Thursday.. as the new Dishwasher & stove top should be here for installation on Friday. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until after the 16th for the wall oven & range top to arrive.

Latest posts