I am tried of chasing the rabbit. Low mass Low Gas.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I have a question and I am about done with trying to garage and dumbass tune my carbine.

I have an Iron City low mass BCG and a JP Silent capture spring with the "black 85%" spring installed. I am running a SLR gas block on a 18" Rise Armament barrel with a rifle length gas system.

Is it possible or even a good idea to scrap the gas block (or run wfo) and keep the low mass carrier? Will it damage the carrier? The gas port on the Rise barrel has the same smaller size like the Nordic that everyone loves (.093). I was going to go back to the original rate spring in the JP set up.

Or, am I at the point where I buy a DPMS Oracle and start over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jesse Tischauser said:
What are you having issues with?
^^^^This^^^^^
Reading your post, I can't tell what the issue is.

charger arms

Jesse Tischauser said:
What are you having issues with?
Yeah. It sucks to forget what the whole ****ing reason to start a post and not include it.

In the mean time, I just took the system back down, cleaned and reset the gas block. Seems like I must have just needed to clean and retune it to run.

I can really describe what it was doing other than pissing me off. It seemed "bouncy", running slower and was blowing crap out around the gas block.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Tony and Jesse will disagree with me, but adjustable gas blocks suck. I prefer reliability over trying to tame the super harsh recoil of a 5.56.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Matt Rigsby said:
Tony and Jesse will disagree with me, but adjustable gas blocks suck. I prefer reliability over trying to tame the super harsh recoil of a 5.56.
The more I shoot the more I wonder if little stuff like adjustable gas blocks even matter.

It's fun to tune the system. Low mass, low gas, silent spring, etc. but I've been burned 2-3x by adjustable gas when I was learning to tune them. You'll never win a match because of any one single piece of gear.

Push

Fanatic
What type of problems are people experiencing with adjustable bkocks? Is it just tunning right on the edge of operating and then short stroking occaisonally, or is there something else causing failures?

I like adjustabke gas, but haven't had problems...yet.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Never had any problems myself, and never seen anyone have problems except for under gassing the system. I just turn mine down until it doesn't lock back on the last round with Fiocchi, which is the weakest ammo I'm going to use, and then turn it back up one half turn or so. Then I shoot matches with S&B which is a harder load than Fiocchis factory ammo. My rifles have never stopped functioning ever.
Just ordered JPs new click adjustable gas block now for the new 18" upper I'm building for Russia world shoot, so no worries about the adjustment screw loosening either.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Push said:
What type of problems are people experiencing with adjustable bkocks? Is it just tunning right on the edge of operating and then short stroking occaisonally, or is there something else causing failures?

I like adjustabke gas, but haven't had problems...yet.
That's usually the problem. Trying to run with too little gas. My 2 failures were with guns that ran great for a few thousand rounds then fall care the temps dropped and the guns were dirtier a d suddenly not enough gas to cycle the system. Another 1/4-1/2 turn on initial setting would have avoided it all.

charger arms

I think that is part of my frustration. I get it one click past the edge and then get nervous and open it up another click or 2. And I then start to think, if I am that worried about it working, why use it?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
I think that is part of my frustration. I get it one click past the edge and then get nervous and open it up another click or 2. And I then start to think, if I am that worried about it working, why use it?

even that safety margin is much less than full bore

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
I was having a hell of a time with an Odin adjustable gas and said piss on it and ordered a seekins from my trust worthy make ready pro shop guy and bam adjusted and no more problems. The Odin was not a good purchase. The clicks and no in between was the problem.

charger arms

benny hill said:
I run light B/C, no weights in buffer,stock spring and seekins adj gas block opened 1/3 turn past lock back, SOFT and reliable, and I keep my guns clean.

Thanks Benny.
I want to also thank you for the help with the brake over the phone last week. Got it mounted up and ended up drilling the expansion port out just a touch. Really works well.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
It can be super tricky. best to find someone who has done it before and have them help you. I had TK from Adams Arms help me when I did my Adams Arms rifle with low mass bolt and adjustable gas black, coupled with a JP SCS. What annoyed the crap out of me for weeks, he tuned in 15 minutes. Now I help a lot of people tune piston guns

Latest posts