How to tune an adjustable gas block

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
With a DI gun does it make a difference what angle the gun is sitting at when fired and tuning? I have a Adams Arms XLP gas piston kit in my rifle with the low mass carrier, and a JP silent captured spring. I had issues when I first tuned the gun and went and used a VTAC board. It forced me to turn the rifle to a 45 degree angle when shooting which caused my rifle to short stroke a couple of times. I ended up going back and re-tuning, and checked it at 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees to make sure it would still cycle at an angle.

Not sure if that's just a thing with piston guns, or if DI guns do the same thing? I've only tuned piston guns.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
With a DI gun does it make a difference what angle the gun is sitting at when fired and tuning? I have a Adams Arms XLP gas piston kit in my rifle with the low mass carrier, and a JP silent captured spring. I had issues when I first tuned the gun and went and used a VTAC board. It forced me to turn the rifle to a 45 degree angle when shooting which caused my rifle to short stroke a couple of times. I ended up going back and re-tuning, and checked it at 45, 90, 135, and 180 degrees to make sure it would still cycle at an angle.

Not sure if that's just a thing with piston guns, or if DI guns do the same thing? I've only tuned piston guns.
I've never owned a piston gun. But that sounds really odd. Like something is rubbiing on something possibly slowing down the piston???

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I have 4000ish rounds through the gun since tuning it better, and have not had a malfunction that wasn't ammo or magazine related since. (or opertaor error, like not seating the magazine well enough) I may have tuned it too close to the ragged edge of reliabilty the first time. It was my 1st time tuning an AR for low mass systems.

Latest posts