How to put on a good match

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
here is a topic I was asked to do on another forum, i thought everyone here could benefit from the info.

This is the first in a series of topics that I was asked to put together, these ideas are not just my own, but are from multiple discussions with very experienced competitors, who will remain nameless and of course my partner in crime, Kurt Miller.

Putting on a good match!!.........primarily 3 gun/multigun type, but good info for all matches.
By, Trapr Swonson
A good match is much like an airplane landing; any one you can live through is good. There are just
many varying degrees of good, and if any one of the following isn’t good, then someone will call the
match “BAD” and for them it will be the truth. A match is made up of these parts, staff, stages, time,
targets, shooters, the venue, prizes, and a contingency plan. One or two may not apply all the time but
they will at all major matches. So let’s start with the person that’s ultimately in charge of the match.

The MD/RM, to take this responsibility you MUST be able to, admit when you have screwed up, accept
ultimate responsibility for anything match related, never accept sole responsibility for a good match,
know the rules for your particular match, and expect the unexpected. The stress level will be very high,
if you truly want to host a good match, so during the match you need to be open minded and even
tempered about all the little concerns or better ways that competitors and others will bring to your
attention. Most of the time it is meant only as a helpful suggestion, but with the stress of a match it
can be taken as a critical assessment, and if you bite off their head and spit it out, the perception
they get is “man that MD/RM is an ass”. So you need to be as diplomatic as possible and as easy going
as you can be and realize that things will go wrong, small things and big things, you need to be flexible
“semper gumby” is a good motto. As a MD, I had an RO that mistakenly changed a start position for all
of the competitors. The staff had shot the stage the previous day with an empty gun start, but he ran
all of the competitors with only an empty chamber start position. I chose to let the stage stand,
since the all the paid competitors shot it the same and the advantage was to them. As the MD/RM you
will have to deal with these type situations, if you handle them fairly and calmly it will say much for your
character and demeanor. As for reducing the stress level as much as possible, you should not try and
shoot your match for score. Many competitors and others will tell you otherwise and try to convince
you to shoot it,……………DON’T!!!!

the next topic, RO's will follow shortly....................thanks

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
As for reducing the stress level as much as possible, you should not try and
shoot your match for score. Many competitors and others will tell you otherwise and try to convince
you to shoot it,……………DON’T!!!!

Would you care to expound on this point?

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Ok, as a MD there is a lot of stress that you take on to hold a match, you have to make sure your stages will stand the scrutiny of gamers and such, you have to make sure there will be no hold ups, back ups, bottle necks and such, there is tons of stuff you need to make sure will run as planned. You have shooters that have taken vacation or drove hours and hours to get to your match, you do not want to have to drop a stage or cancel your match because you can't plan, thats all STRESS. Now you want to shoot your match, do you really think that you can concentrate on shooting at your best with all that other stuff to worry about????? If you can!!! you are not giving the match the amount of consideration that you should, so now you want to compete at your "normal" level of expertise and you can't, so now you're pissed because you can't perform at your normal level, thats more STRESS. I don't care how good you are at multitasking, in order to do well at one you must neglect the other. Do you neglect the paying shooters or yourself, A good MD caters to the paying customers, so why create more stress on yourself by trying to shoot your own match, just DON'T.

You need to decide whats more important, YOU or the CUSTOMER, how would you feel going to a restaurant that was run by a manager that didn't feel that way, would you go back?????? would you bad mouth it????? would you recommend it to your friends????

Also if by chance you win the match, what do you think will be said behind your back by other shooters, "well he knew how to shoot the stages", "he practiced the stages", "he knew what to expect"........its just not worth it, if you really want to run a good match and have people come back for more. You have to decide "Do I want to shoot" or "Do I want to put on a good match"

Trapr

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, as a MD there is a lot of stress that you take on to hold a match, you have to make sure your stages will stand the scrutiny of gamers and such, you have to make sure there will be no hold ups, back ups, bottle necks and such, there is tons of stuff you need to make sure will run as planned. You have shooters that have taken vacation or drove hours and hours to get to your match, you do not want to have to drop a stage or cancel your match because you can't plan, thats all STRESS. Now you want to shoot your match, do you really think that you can concentrate on shooting at your best with all that other stuff to worry about????? If you can!!! you are not giving the match the amount of consideration that you should, so now you want to compete at your "normal" level of expertise and you can't, so now you're pissed because you can't perform at your normal level, thats more STRESS. I don't care how good you are at multitasking, in order to do well at one you must neglect the other. Do you neglect the paying shooters or yourself, A good MD caters to the paying customers, so why create more stress on yourself by trying to shoot your own match, just DON'T.

You need to decide whats more important, YOU or the CUSTOMER, how would you feel going to a restaurant that was run by a manager that didn't feel that way, would you go back?????? would you bad mouth it????? would you recommend it to your friends????

Also if by chance you win the match, what do you think will be said behind your back by other shooters, "well he knew how to shoot the stages", "he practiced the stages", "he knew what to expect"........its just not worth it, if you really want to run a good match and have people come back for more. You have to decide "Do I want to shoot" or "Do I want to put on a good match"

Trapr

It's funny that you mention the extra stress and not being able to concentrate on your own performance when you're running the match, but if you win you had an advantage. :)

I always shoot the matches I run (or co-run with Curt). Curt has been the MD for the IDPA Nationals the last two years. He has me help carry the weight so he can still shoot well. He won his division in 09 and was 2nd in his division last year. I didn't do well last year, but that wasn't because I was running the match. In 09 I was 11th overall out of 368 shooters. Speaking of numbers, The IDPA Nationals have traditionally sold out the first year in a new venue. The second year in the same venue usually sees a slight drop in attendance. We had 368 in 09 at USSA and over 400 last year. I'd like to think that our team putting on a quality match had something to do with that. The number of positive comments about our matches far outweigh any minor negative comments we've had.

I think it's important to shoot your own stages, particularly on SO/RO shoot day. I think it's the best way to see if everything works as intended. I've never had anyone say we didn't pay enough attention to the match because we were too busy shooting it. I'm a shooter first and foremost. If I'm not shooting a match, I'd better be getting paid well or I'm not going to be there. If I can't handle the added stress of working & shooting, I shouldn't be doing it. As for those select few sore losers who say that those working the match had an unfair advantage, well I call BS on them. If working a match was a competitive advantage, they'd all be lining up to do it. Funny, I NEVER see those guys working a match! :D

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Trapr,
Do you apply this to monthly local matches too or just major type matches? This subject often has me second guessing whether I should shoot or just score/be available during the match. Sometimes I will even shoot the stages when no one else is on the stage and not count the score in the overalls(of course I always compare it off-line).
One thing I think we can all agree on (all us mere mortals) is we really would like to know how we did against Trapr and Kurt as far as stage times go. Maybe this year, we can talk you guys into running the stages off-line to see how we gauge our performance against the best.

mike

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Mike, I would hate to see you go through all the work to put a monthly match on and then not shoot it. That's just not right.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I will always shoot the stages. The one thing I struggle with is whether to shoot for score or just for giggles.. I am curious to hear what the trap man's opinion is..

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The one thing I struggle with is whether to shoot for score or just for giggles..
For our local matches, I don't see a difference. It's not like we have a prize table or an expensive entry fee. I can't imagine anyone in our group getting bent out of shape over it. It's not like you can set up these stages in your backyard & practice them for weeks ahead of the match. For a big time event, when hosting a bunch of out of state shooters for big time money & prizes, I can see the conflict of interests.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
We may shoot a stage because it looks like a fun stage or we want to see if our plan works. But we will not shoot for score in the match and you'll have to be on hand to see the score and time. We can provide a list of matches that we will be at for 2011, and you can show up and shoot the match to compare that way. I'm sure most of the local guys have plenty of time to shoot with Kurt when he's in town.

trapr

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Cool. Thanks Trapr. I know what matches you are going to shoot and I will be at at least 2 of them! :) And Kurt is never in town long enough to shoot with us! :(

See you soon..

Latest posts