How to CCW?

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I've been thinking about this. I'm not a chiseled Greek statue, and my belt has to be cinched like a girth on a saddle bronc just to keep my pants from hitting the ground. I'm thinking IWB isn't going to work or be comfortable. But OWB will print easily. How do the curvy guys carry? Does it have to do with placement to make IWB work? Give me some ideas, please. Two weekends of double time has me seeing an XDs 9mm in my future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I use a crossbreed iwb at my 3 o'clock and can easily conceal it with a t-shirt.
It's pretty comfortable if I wear an under shirt to go between the holster and my body.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You're just going to have to try different things. You will definitely start dressing to carry, as opposed to just fulfilling some cheap social norm.
Baggy/oversize clothes work wonders. IWB is way more comfortable with an undershirt. Sweat shields on most carry holsters are too low.
I use 3 o'clock around to 5 o'clock carry position. Usually further toward 5 o'clock, because I'm still fighting buying a lot of oversize shirts.

mikey80

Negative Approach
This fatty carries IWB Don Hume with a G23 strong side. Blackhawk $8 IWB holster strong side with the G27. I just wear the clothes in my closet. I don't see a need to get all IDPA with my daily dress. If I wanted to carry guns and wear stupid looking clothes, I'd just go shoot IDPA. However, a hoodie is nice when it's cold. All in all, most everyone around you is completely oblivious as to whether you are wearing a gun or not.

P.S. Strong side OWB in my LT Galco is the most comfortable.

P.P.S. Mitch shops at the Duluth Trading Conpany.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
My daily dress went from wranglers and a tshirt, to dress pants and a button down. I'm struggling with the ccw. Most days I go without it as much as I hate to say it. If I could find the right tuckable holster it might solve my issue.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I'll try IWB. Luckily, I'm in a constitutional carry state, so depending on my activities, I have that option. I'm just worried that the gun/holster would be unbearable when I cinch up the belt.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I am able to conceal a Glock 30 in a Crossbreed Supertuck without any trouble. My daily wear is generally Wranglers with a button down shirt. Once it is broken in it is comfortable enough that you almost forget it's there.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Wormydog1724 said:
My daily dress went from wranglers and a tshirt, to dress pants and a button down. I'm struggling with the ccw. Most days I go without it as much as I hate to say it. If I could find the right tuckable holster it might solve my issue.
What gun Jeremy?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Wormydog1724 said:
Crossbreed with a Kahr CW9 works great when I wear similar clothes to church.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
IWB and tuckable holsters.... I am a big boned kid too. No ass. Carried a 1911 in a Bianchi Pistol pocket (48+ ounces) in Wranglers and that worked ok... a full cut dress shirt blouses enough to cover the butt of the gun.

I have a Kytac tuckable or two...one for a J frame and one for the Glocks... Those rigs can have the shirt tucked around them --- raising the arms don't blow the guns cover like they do with the pistol pocket. Those old Pistol pockets are about as comfortable a holster as you can find. I've carried revolvers and 1911's in Summer special holsters over the years with the dress shirt bloused over too... of course I am stout enough that the "fitted dress shirt" has never been much use to me.

Whatever you do... don't skip on the belt. A good (expensive) belt found a western store will help. You can go with dedicated holster belts that have plastic stiffeners or double layers that give enough structure to carry the gun and keep your ass covered. The cross breed and it's clones are pretty efficient way to carry also...that leather backer makes enough friction to keep the gun from sagging and taking your drawers with it. Some folks wear the rigger style Wilderness instructors belts... stout but they don't go with every occasion and scream gun more than a IDPA fishing vest does

On the odd days I wear trousers or slacks any IWB is cake. You will probably have to wear your pants 2 inches larger in some cases to make room for the gun in the waistband.

keep in mind that as a civilian ccw carrier you may not need to ever reholster quickly (and I'd encourage you find a holster that offers that anyway)... some of the lighter IWB's don't have an open stiff top... to reholster the best bet it to remove the holster - insert gun and re clip the whole burrito into the pants.... just saying cause that opens up a few options in lightweight leathers

Jonathan Brooks

Fanatic
Not big boned, but I carry a Bersa 9mm Ultra Carry (13+1) at about 4 o'clock in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I forget its there. I have to check my holster physically everyday on campus to be sure I'm not carrying it. :rtfm:

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Splurge on a nice leather belt from Looper or Beltman. You won't regret it.

Being skinny is awesome. I can carry a M&P9 Pro under a medium t-shirt with the right AIWB holster and a good belt.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Being skinny is awesome. I can carry a M&P9 Pro under a medium t-shirt with the right AIWB holster and a good belt.

As long as I can get a belt with a big shiny buckle. I cannot hide the Western genetics. Lol! Going to order a crossbreed holster. Still need a CCW permit, which is ridiculous as Kentucky is an open carry state. I mean, why require a permit to have your shirt untucked?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
You can replace the buckles on both.

I had a giant brass Winchester buckle on my brown Looper for a while.

E: One thing about Beltman belts is that they're really thick. Thick enough that getting some holsters onto them (like my Bianchi leather pancake) is difficult. Looper belts are all Kydex reinforced, instead of doubled-up bull hide like Beltman, so they're thinner.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
BobS761 said:

As long as I can get a belt with a big shiny buckle. I cannot hide the Western genetics. Lol! Going to order a crossbreed holster. Still need a CCW permit, which is ridiculous as Kentucky is an open carry state. I mean, why require a permit to have your shirt untucked?

For the record... I hate skinny people.

Bob... just make sure your belt buckle isn not bigger than your face....

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
So, after carrying for a while, I have come to realize that I need more than one platform. A pocket gun is now in my future. I'm thinking LCP or LCR. Any others?

Latest posts