How many different clubs do you shoot at?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
A post I was making in another thread got me thinking about this & I wanted open a discussion of It's own.

How many of you guys only shoot 1 discipline?

How many of you only shoot at 1 club?

How far are you willing to drive to a level 1 match?

Why?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
We don't have a "home" club. We shoot wherever we can find a match. Sometimes that's 45 minutes away or like this weekend 4 hours one way. We shoot mostly 3 gun. Haven't had time for much else this year.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I have only shot our local club because of work commitments. I would love to travel though.

I shoot 3gun, USPSA, and steel challenge.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Shoot some USPSA, Local club rimfire offhand match, CMP rifle and pistol.
Usually I limit to an hour's drive unless it's a great white buffalo like Ponca, then I got to persuade some one to drive.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I shoot uspsa, steel challenge, pro am, 3gun/multigun, shotgun, etc. I regularly shoot at 5 or 6 different clubs for monthly matches, with some being 2-3hrs drive each way. The people at all of the clubs I regularly go to are all great. When I travel to visit family, if I'll be there over the weekend, I'll usually bring my gear & see if I can find a match near by.

You'll typically see different stuff at all the different clubs. I find it's a lot of fun to mix it up instead of the same style stages all the time. Some clubs use a lot of props, some use hardly any. Some clubs use a lot of walls, where some make mostly open type stages with hardly any barriers. Some use a lot of tight shots with no-shoots, some like to make hoser stages. The list goes on & on. I like the variety of stages from the different match directors. I also find that by going to lots of different matches, when I go to big matches, there's rarely something I haven't seen before. It doesnt mean I'm going to crush it, just that I know what I'm looking at. How many of you have shot a polish or Irish plate rack? How many of you know the fastest way for YOU to shoot them? How about a death star?

I encourage all of you guys to broaden your horizons a little & get out of your comfort zones. I think it'll make you a better shooter & you'll have a little bit of fun in the process.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I've shot 3 gun 5-6 times at the club level. That being said I shoot a level 1 uspsa match at least 2 times per month. OKCGC and H&H. Last month I made it to Old Fort for their uspsa match. I'll be back to that one for sure. I live just north of Edmond so the drive to Van Buren was around 3 hours. I also shoot Sporting Clays and 5 stand at Silverleaf Shotgun Sports in Guthrie at least 1 time per month but sometimes I'm there every weekend. I took a 3 year break from anything that has a score and only did the typical Deer, Waterfowl and predator hunting but, because of Burk promising me I could one day be as cool as him, I started shooting back in May and have renewed my USPSA membership and trying to get classified.

As far as driving goes for a level 1 match I would say anything within 3 hours is very doable for me. Old Fort was on the cusp of being too far but I'm glad I went. I'll be back to their match as often as I can. I seen a new set of stages by stage designers I'm not used to. I think it would be beneficial to shoot at many places as possible. I know I'll venture to Kansas clubs, southern Oklahoma and north Texas clubs.

sc3786

Active Fanatic
So far only shot USPSA, Steel Challenge and used to shoot the conceal carry match at Safety First. Level 1 matches I have only shot at Old Fort, OKCGC, Ponca, and H&H, would love to get to Tulsa for Chad's match but Sunday mornings conflict with my 2nd job. Shot Kansas Sectional at Mill Creek primarily because it was close to family. Been thinking about going to one of the bowling pin shoots in Duncan and Travis is still trying to talk me into doing a Run & Gun in Pawnee. I will eventually try 3gun, and have wanted to get to old fort for their 2 gun match.

I agree about getting to different clubs, I have met some great folks and gotten to shoot some cool and challenging stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
The club I'm a member at hosts a few different disciplines. I mostly only compete in the 3 gun matches there though. Most of the other stuff is the 50 year old, out of shape, living a dream tacticool guys dressed like Rambo. My club occasionally has shotgun matches that aren't really competitive, they're shoot a round of sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand, or trap and eat a brat type of events. I generally try to shoot those as well.

I shoot 3 gun at 4 other clubs, and USPSA at 2 clubs. The longest drive is close to 3 hours, 2.5 hours when it's stupid early in the morning.

There are other clubs but they're all over 3 hours away and the match dates usually conflict with the clubs that are a shorter drive.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot/ try to shoot, skeet, trap, USPSA, Steel Challenge, 3Gun at OKCGC. I used to shoot the concealed carry match at heartland and then at Safety 1st. Occasionally USPSA at H&H and Ponca City. I would like to travel and shoot more, Sundays are almost completely off limits because of other commitments. I went once, 2 or 3 years ago to Cleburne, TX for their Level 2 USPSA match.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

1022addict

Fanatic
USPSA and a local club Steel match

I usually shoot 4 or 5 level 1 matches a month.
Tulsa USSA
Old Fort Gun Club
Razor Back Dynamic in Centerton
Bone Creek outside Pittsburg Ks
Mill Creek Desoto Ks
Lamar Gun Club

Closest match is Bone Creek. 45 minutes... Longest Ft Smith....3.5 hrs
all others are 2 hour drive..Local club is 5 minutes from work 15 from home...

Why.... I like to shoot and compete. Shooting with new people makes me better learning new things and seeing how different people shoot stages..
Shot my first level II matches this year Kansas Free State and Arkansas Sectional.. Loved every minute of both..

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Disciplines: USPSA, 3-gun, and steel challenge. I tried out a few new ones this summer because of the heat & my hip: sporting clays, bowling pin challenge & GSSF.

Clubs: OKC GC, H&H in OKC, USSA in Tulsa, BDC in Shawnee, Tulsa Gun Club, Ponca City, & Firearm Solutions in Duncan. I've been to Tri-City, just not anything recently.

Travel: About 2 hours. Mainly, that's what I'm comfortable driving for a one day match driving by myself. Beyond that the getting up extra early & driving home tired & alone are definite deterrents.

dennishoddy

I shoot steel challenge at Ponca & OKCGC, as well as Wellington Ks.
USPSA at Ponca and OKCGC, the occasional rifle match at OKCGC and that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keepkool

Well-Known Fanatic
I have two home clubs ( one small but local the other is a 50 min drive but worth it) , both put on USPSA and IDPA matches. I am attempting to stick with one discipline of USPSA , but on a monthly base I try to hit an out of state USPSA matches . When I started shooting I would jump divisions and shoot any match that I could get too. The problem I found was I wasn't getting any better. Over the last season or so I have been trying to shoot only USPSA in limited or Lim 10 in the states that have restrictions. I have bumped my class to a solid B and now working towards A. I have shoot across the country and had the privilege of shooting and working as a CRO in AREA 6, 7, 8 USPSA Championships and Production and CarryOptics Nationals. Looking to make it out to OKC to meet up one day at a match.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Home club is 15 minutes from me. Shoot USPSA pistol, shotgun, and rifle there. But I drive up to 2 hrs 20 min for matches. Although one of the clubs I go to is 3 1/2 hrs from my house, but 45 minutes from my in laws place. I can "visit" them for the weekend, shoot a match close to them, and really never see them all weekend. Win win for me. I shoot at 7 or 8 clubs. Living in FL we are lucky to have tons of ranges.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
I don't have a home club. I train on a private range, and I shoot matches at OKC Gun Club and USSA regularly. I've also shot at Ponca, Oil Capital, Duke, and Old Fort. I have to budget ammo and funds for a couple of matches a month so I usually shoot the two that I enjoy most.

DanTyler

Fanatic
How many of you guys only shoot 1 discipline?

I shoot USPSA, IDPA, 3gun, tactical shotgun matches, rimfire steel, centerfire steel, and an occasional mid-long range rifle, bullseye, or Bianchi type match.

How many of you only shoot at 1 club?
I shoot at 2 ranges frequently (at least 2 times per month), each of which has several internal 'clubs' that I shoot through. Beyond that, I probably hit an additional 8 or so locations once in a blue moon.
How far are you willing to drive to a level 1 match?
About 30 minutes, unless there's something special about that match.

Why?
I like shooting matches regardless of discipline, and am blessed to live in an area that has an almost ridiculous amount of it available to me. I won't drive far for a level 1 because I don't have to. I've got at least a half-dozen ranges within half an hour of my house (probably more if traffic is being nice).

Latest posts