How many archers do we have?

dennishoddy

My folks bought me a fiberglass 25lb pull recurve bow back in the day. All I had was cedar arrows.
My how times have changed. :)

Feel free to disagree, but IMHO I believe there have been more innovations in Archery equipment than firearms.
But in some cases, historical bows are still here, and have very little modifications.
My friend builds self-bows that he carves out of Osage Orange, uses snake skins to put a natural camo on them, and draws premium dollars from people that want to get back to basics. He uses river cane for the shafts, turkey feathers for fletching, knaps his own arrowheads, and uses sinue from tendons to attach them. How primitive is this? He has taken deer with his equipment.

For me, I'm using 2000 year old technology to deer hunt. I tore the bicep muscle from my bone a couple of years ago, and cannot pull a bow anymore. I went with the Excalibur equinox. Looks modern but its the same frame, technology that was used 2k years ago, minus the scope. B)

These are some of the points he uses, that he has personally knapped, and uses.
If I can find the pics, I'll post some of mine. I have 1/10 of the skill he does. :(

This is not a primitive bow thread, so post up your Mathews, and other brands

PB170199.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

dennishoddy

OK, found some that I've knapped.
I like to do the "bird points"
Its a common misconception that primitives used smaller arrows, points, bows, blah blah, for taking birds to eat.
In reality, they used "bird points" as gifts to others.
archers today, as well as yesterday knew that consistency is the key. They used the same points for deer/bison and they did for birds.

arrow_heads.jpg

[email protected]

Well-Known Fanatic
Bow hunting is my first love. Come october I'm in a tree till january. I shoot a PSE X-Force but I have an old school recurve just for MCAAP.

dennishoddy

Bow hunting is my first love. Come october I'm in a tree till january. I shoot a PSE X-Force but I have an old school recurve just for MCAAP.
I got to go to MCAAP two years ago on the disability hunt with the Xbow. Took a doe, and had a HUGE 10 point get within 50 yds, but I make up my mind I wouldn't take anything longer than a 30 yd shot.
He got a little down wind, and got a scent and bolted. He was HUGE! I'm in for the Drawing again this year. ;)

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Bow hunting is my first love. Come october I'm in a tree till january.

Same here. To be honest my family had very few hunting rifles when I was growing up. Dad had his ol 30-30, but after the first time he went bowhunting he never bought another rifle. 95% of my hunting has been done with a bow. Here's what I'm shooting now. Mathews Drenalin, Easton Axis arrows, HHA slider sight, QAD drop away rest.
62877_1295677292635_1851442463_648101_2853408_n.jpg

csiedmond1

Well-Known Fanatic
I did not grow up bowhunting because my dad had a bad back and he had a crossbow permit, So I did not get introduced to archery until my brother bout me a bow when I was 27! Now I love to bow hunt! :)

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
I spend more time Bow hunting than anythinnting else. I wont get to rifle hunt this year as Im on call during rifle season but Im going to hunt Lake Arcadia as many times as I can afford to this year. $50 for a 4 day hunt. You should see some of the deer taken out of the park there. Oh Im rocking a pawn shop special Bear GTX. Im saving up the change for a new one. Id love a Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus but damn thats alot of money. Im also wanting to get into a recuve as well

stroker-c10

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot a hoyt ultra mag. I hunted more with a bow this year than with a rifle. Passed up a fair number of bucks looking for the one i wanted.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Never bow hunted myself, but my brother is into it big time. I think like most of you, he prefers it to rifle hunting. He has a bit of land in Luther & also hunts at Arcadia. Not sure about what equiptment he uses, but I know he spends as much on it as his rifle hunting equipt.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I've got a couple of the Oneida Lite Force Mags, which I still love. I hunted the last couple years with a Mathews Q2XL but just recently picked up a Bowtech 101st Airborne. It's hard to find a bow with a draw length of 31.5". The new law has me considering a crossbow though. Seems a little like cheating though.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I dunno about being an "Archer" but I try to bowhunt a bit each year. I'm probably the worst hunter on the forum though.

imhntn

Founding Member
I shot my first deer with a bow in '82 and fell in love with it. It is my favorite way to hunt. I use a recurve most of the time these days.

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
here are some of my past archery whitetails. the mule deer was taken in western kansas last year and the whitetail was taken the year before. I have been hunting them for 40 years and it NEVER gets old. I am still trying for a 350 in. Elk before I am too old to climb those mts.

View attachment 979

View attachment 980

View attachment 981

Attachments

• craigs whitetails12.JPG
    craigs whitetails12.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7824.jpg
    IMG_7824.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PB190393.JPG
    PB190393.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 23

dennishoddy

here are some of my past archery whitetails. the mule deer was taken in western kansas last year and the whitetail was taken the year before. I have been hunting them for 40 years and it NEVER gets old. I am still trying for a 350 in. Elk before I am too old to climb those mts.

You've taken some amazing deer! That European mount has some great mass. What did it score if I might ask?

I'm in a quest for my first elk. Applied to the ODW since 1970 with no luck, and drew a cow hunt in NM last year. Only saw bulls. :angry:

93 FOX

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot a Bear Instinct. Been bow hunting for about 8 years. The nice thing about bow hunting is the weather is alot nicer. B)

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
You've taken some amazing deer! That European mount has some great mass. What did it score if I might ask?

I'm in a quest for my first elk. Applied to the ODW since 1970 with no luck, and drew a cow hunt in NM last year. Only saw bulls. :angry:

Muley was a western kansas deer scored 180's. My son and i had been hunting him and his older brother for the last 3 yrs. Maybe this year !

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic

Muley was a western kansas deer scored 180's. My son and i had been hunting him and his older brother for the last 3 yrs. Maybe this year !

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic

Mule deer scored in the 180's. My son and i have been chasing him and his bigger brother which should score over 200 this yr. Cant wait till nov!

Latest posts