How long do you need to be able to edit your posts?

How long do you need to edit your posts?

• 1 hour

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 2 hours

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 8 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 day

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 2 days

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Infinite

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
We keep changing the length if time that members are allowed to edit their posts. The reason the time has been shortened is to keep people from deleting their classified item once it's sold. It's nice to see those old classifieds in the future for buying and selling references. We understand it's frustrating when you can't go back and edit your misspellings though too. So here goes. Your turn to vote how we should do it.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
I say Infinite. I don't mean this for the classifieds, but say you get into a hot debate over something, especially things like someones customer service, then decide later on you're just going to stay out of it so you look like less of an ass or to where it reflects less of your heated character on you. I haven't seen it a lot here or OSA(although it gets deleted pretty quick, usually not by the poster), but it seems to happen infrequently on the Hide. Plus, sometimes opinions or information available to you change your mind.

Also, I like it over there for their feedback method. I have a Good to Go post in the Good Guy List, and instead of having a buttload of individual posts, each time I do business with someone I just add their name to that singular post and keep the link to it in my sig line.(EX: SnipersHide Example).

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I voted for 2 days. I figure if I list something in the classifieds that should be enough time for questions asked and for me to update any missing info.

I too like to search back through classifieds to use for reference on pricing, so I don't like to see them gone or people edit prices away when things are sold.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I say Infinite. I don't mean this for the classifieds, but say you get into a hot debate over something, especially things like someones customer service, then decide later on you're just going to stay out of it so you look like less of an ass or to where it reflects less of your heated character on you. I haven't seen it a lot here or OSA(although it gets deleted pretty quick, usually not by the poster), but it seems to happen infrequently on the Hide. Plus, sometimes opinions or information available to you change your mind.

Also, I like it over there for their feedback method. I have a Good to Go post in the Good Guy List, and instead of having a buttload of individual posts, each time I do business with someone I just add their name to that singular post and keep the link to it in my sig line.(EX: SnipersHide Example).

I am 100% opposed to infinite. We cannot control the edit time for each section - its by member group. So the "Members" have XXXX time to edit, the "Moderators" have XXXX time to edit and so forth. Nothing I hate more than people editing posts 3 or 4 days after they said something to change it. Classifieds have a tendency to do this all the time - people edit their post and delete EVERYTHING and mark it as SOLD. Or each time there is a price drop the delete the ORIGINAL price. This is bad for the market - people will not be able to see values of guns and gear. Another reason is if someone sets up a match for a certain date then a week later wants to change it and just edits the original post without saying anything - then people show up on the wrong date - w/o the ability to edit the post he will have to make an announcement saying the Date/Time changed.

I am also a big fan of don't say something if you don't mean it. What good is it for someone to say something that puts down another member if they can go back and delete it a day or so later after the damage is done. If something is deemed as inappropriate it will be deleted or flagged before too many people have a chance to see it.

Thoughts are def welcome but I think we have to have some sort of time limit on editing posts, and a reasonable one - 1 week is not reasonable - most things sell in less than that time.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't see any reason for it to be limited. The things BS mentioned are problems cause by idiots not by the ability to edit a post.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
What are legitimate reasons to edit posts say 24 hours after posting? Saying something and then realizing the next day you shouldn't have said it in my opinion is not a valid reason. Maybe someone should think twice before speaking and looking like a jerk the first time.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
There are lots of reasons to edit a post after 24 hours. There are also lots of reasons not to. If someone is doing it wrong, then warn them and ban them if they do it again. Limiting a forum because a few have bad or no forum etiquette only punishes the ones that have good manners.

That is one problem I have with the other forum. They don't do enough banning members for being stupid. Especially compared to the ones they ban in their own stupidity.

ETA:

Personally, if I edit a post I correct my grammar and spelling or add some information. If I add anything, I'll use "ETA:" before the new stuff so people know what was added at a later time. Sometimes an "ETA" is appropriate instead of a double post or when the post hasn't been quoted yet. It can allow people to read the edit before they get to the comment of the next guy that is all pissed off with the post in quotes before the edit. It just depends.

Also, updating items sold in classifieds (without being a moron and deleting everything) is great and keeps the ads nice and tidy.

As you mentioned information changes for a match. You change the match posting info and make damn sure to get the news out that it has changed. Just posting later in the thread with the new info and leaving the old incorrect info in the OP is worse for what you mentioned than updating it IMO.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
To add, I have about 10,000 posts on a paintball forum called www.pbnation.com. They are in the top 20 worldwide largest forums. Their edits are unlimited. It isn't a problem if the mods handle it the right way.

jtischauser

I think it has to have a limit so that things get set in stone for a time period. Just think how your opinion and knowledge change with time. You can't have people happening upon old posts 2 years after the fact then changing them to match their new opinions. That would ruin the history. The big question really is how long do you need to fix your grammar or spelling? Once you hit post the content should not change IMHO.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I totally agree with some of what you said - the problem is people don't do it. I understand if you have a grammatical error - but would you not realize within 24 hours that you made that error? After 4 or so days - everyone has already seen it and made fun of you by this point :)

As much as you want to say ban the people for deleting posts and what not in the classifieds - I don't think thats the answer.

The other option is to automatically LOCK the classified ads so they can NOT be edited and deleted and require all price changes to be done via replies having to be approved - but this REALLY increases the work for JT and I

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
IMO, you guys are putting too much thought into it. Other much larger boards don't have these problems. You can't really stop a person from being a dumb ass on the internet.

The posts should show the last time they were edited and you should be able to make it show how many times it was edited. If someone goes and changes their post we should all be able to see when and know. Plus, most of the stupid stuff gets quoted. That can't be changed by the person being quoted.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The other option is to automatically LOCK the classified ads so they can NOT be edited and deleted and require all price changes to be done via replies having to be approved - but this REALLY increases the work for JT and I
Other members wouldn't be able to ask questions about your item

jtischauser

To add, I have about 10,000 posts on a paintball forum called www.pbnation.com. They are in the top 20 worldwide largest forums. Their edits are unlimited. It isn't a problem if the mods handle it the right way.

It's bad business for small forums like this one to start banning people, deleting posts, and locking threads. If this was a top 20 largest forum I wouldn't have asked. I would just do what I wanted and headed to the bank to cash the sites sponsor checks:)

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Other members wouldn't be able to ask questions about your item

Thats why I think the time limit is more of a fix than the locking threads.

Nothing I hate more than searching a site to see what my item is worth - only to find the post changed and it says "SOLD" for the price

Latest posts