How do you ship a long gun?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I just sold a rifle on gun broker. I was wondering how you go about packaging your long guns for shipping. My plan was to use one of those el cheapo $10 gun cases from Academy. Then I want to put that inside a box. I am not sure where to get a box that size from though.

Any suggetions would be appreciated.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
there used to be a box company on NW expressway near that charcoal burger place that had boxes of all shapes and sizes... don't know if they are still there or not... north side of the road in a crappy strip mall.

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
I get and ship 5 to 10 long guns a week.
Wrap it in bubble wrap, 3 or 4 layers, the large bubbles not the tiny stuff.
Get the ends covered first then just go around the rifle till it is covered well.

I have a box company just a couple of miles from here where I can get cardboard but any good cardboard will do but Assuming you have one long piece of cardboard maybe from an appliance box or something.....
Cut the cardboard 12 inches longer than the wrapped up gun and lay the gun on the cardboard sheet
crease the cardboard with a dull tool like a spoon handle or something and fold the box on that crease
eyeball the width of your package and do the same thing 4 more times till your cardboard overlaps.
Cut off the extra and tape up the edge.

center the package inside the cardboard box you just made and just cut the edges from the end of the package to the end of the box
Crease the cardboard for a clean fold and fold over the ends and tape it shut.

Be sure to include some contact information INSIDE THE BOX.
If this is an out of state sale do not seal it up before taking it to your FFL for shipping, he will have to include some paperwork and do the shipping.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
Just box it up and take it to the post office. If you get a sturdy box there is no reason to ship it in a gun case. I shipped a rifle not too long ago. Just bubble wrapped it and put it in a sturdy box. You can make a good box out of two boxes and a lot of sturdy packing tape. I wiped down the gun with a liberal coating of oil, wrapped it up, then boxed it. Just take it to the PO and ship it.

jtischauser

Just box it up and take it to the post office. If you get a sturdy box there is no reason to ship it in a gun case. I shipped a rifle not too long ago. Just bubble wrapped it and put it in a sturdy box. You can make a good box out of two boxes and a lot of sturdy packing tape. I wiped down the gun with a liberal coating of oil, wrapped it up, then boxed it. Just take it to the PO and ship it.

Dont you need an FFL to ship VIA USPS? I tried to ship ammo and they laughed at me.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
You don't need an FFL to ship a long gun USPS. They don't ship ammo. Not sure if you can with an FFL or not.

jtischauser

You don't need an FFL to ship a long gun USPS. They don't ship ammo. Not sure if you can with an FFL or not.

Well apparently the Guthrie post office has different rules than the OKC post office. I just stopped by and they said you had to be a dealer or Pawn shop which means you need your FFL???

jtischauser

Well apparently the Guthrie post office has different rules than the OKC post office. I just stopped by and they said you had to be a dealer or Pawn shop which means you need your FFL.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jesse, I remember Dustin going thru this same thing with the post office. I think he had to have pstmstr clear it up with them. You should send him (pstmstr) a pm.
pstmstr

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you shipping it out of Oklahoma?
If you are then request an FFL from your buyer and ship it to the FFL dealer.
As a seller you do not have to have an FFL but the buyer needs either an FFL or Curro & Relics license or at least go through their FFL so that the buyer gets checked out by NICS and you will be assured that you are not selling to some crazy or felon.

Or just bring it to me, I will ship it for you and take care of the paperwork.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
Well apparently the Guthrie post office has different rules than the OKC post office. I just stopped by and they said you had to be a dealer or Pawn shop which means you need your FFL.

Ask to speak with the postmaster at Guthrie. They are WRONG!!! They will accept rifles and shotguns from non dealers. Take it to the South OKC station off I-35 near SE 44th and ask for Tina. Tell her I sent ya with your rifle for shipment. :D

I raised holy hell over there for them to ship my rifle. Contact pstmstr like was stated already. He'll work hard to get the morons lined out. I think he hates stupidity at the PO more than we do.

Here are the rules. They are on the USPS site somewhere, but I can't find them. http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

Knowing now that it is legal to ship a rifle, I'll probably never tell them it is a rifle or shotgun again. Just box and ship.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Lets bring this back up for discussion.

I need to ship a shotgun to a buyer in Texas. From what I understand I can package it up well with no marks identifying it as a firearm and mail it myself through USPS or other carrier.

About making sure it goes to an FFL. Why would I need a copy of the receiving FFL? I can use the BATFE website to make sure the addressee is a current FFL holder, so why all the mumbo jumbo about getting a copy and putting it in the box with the firearm?

I'm not trying to be confrontational or problematic, I'm just curious.

SoonerStatePawn

Well-Known Fanatic
An FFL dealer can ship firearms through the Post Office. Individuals have to ship FedEx Overnight. That's what we were told by the ATF during an audit. We charge a $10 transfer fee, and charge you our actual shipping costs. We can even package it up for you while your there.

SoonerStatePawn

Well-Known Fanatic
Lets bring this back up for discussion.

I need to ship a shotgun to a buyer in Texas. From what I understand I can package it up well with no marks identifying it as a firearm and mail it myself through USPS or other carrier.

About making sure it goes to an FFL. Why would I need a copy of the receiving FFL? I can use the BATFE website to make sure the addressee is a current FFL holder, so why all the mumbo jumbo about getting a copy and putting it in the box with the firearm?

I'm not trying to be confrontational or problematic, I'm just curious.
If you're not having a FFL send the firearm for you, just include a copy of your ID so that the receiving FFL dealer can bring it on their gun book correctly.

Latest posts