How Do You Like Your Ruger Mark IV?

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
It's been just a little over a year now since Ruger "busted out" the Ruger Mark IV, to most folks surprise. It seems that the initial pandemic concerning the "perceived" safety issue that some folks encountered has been corrected? I've had a few Mark IV's cross my bench, and I couldn't exactly find the cause of what the recall was "persactly" about. I know it somehow involved the safety, but I had a tough time making it happen.

eMkMjlE.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the various aftermarket parts involved with this relatively NEW release to respond to some owners wishes for better trigger pull weight and which combination involving aftermarket parts will suit their needs. There's a lot of stuff arriving on the scene and along with those parts there are some kits that have been recommended by some producers.

One main thing that sorta puzzles me, is, why did Ruger go with a "black plastic" safety detent button? For 69 years, they've been using a "steel" safety button, even in the Zytel grips frames involving the Ruger 22/45 variation without any issues. Check out the flat nose on the safety button in the right picture. The radius was flattened out after only a few "on and offs" of the safety. Sorta makes me wonder how soon that plastic detent will give up completely.

H1hvbcz.jpg

Last edited:

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
SGW Gunsmith said:
It's been just a little over a year now since Ruger "busted out" the Ruger Mark IV, to most folks surprise. It seems that the initial pandemic concerning the "perceived" safety issue that some folks encountered has been corrected? I've had a few Mark IV's cross my bench, and I couldn't exactly find the cause of what the recall was "persactly" about. I know it somehow involved the safety, but I had a tough time making it happen.

dmv0i48l.jpg

Sorta makes me wonder how soon that plastic detent will give up completely.

yTusRD9l.jpg
Maybe that’s the safety recall? Not sure what they did to mine. I haven’t torn it apart since it returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Pete,

You really don't need to get inside your Mark IV to see if the plastic safety detent has been replaced during the "recall". Take a peek into the slight opening just behind the safety thumb button.

mi3vDSFl.jpg

If the detent is black. it's obviously the original. If it's silver, they replaced it for you.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
SGW Gunsmith said:
Pete,

You really don't need to get inside your Mark IV to see if the plastic safety detent has been replaced during the "recall". Take a peek into the slight opening just behind the safety thumb button.

mi3vDSFl.jpg

If the detent is black. it's obviously the original. If it's silver, they replaced it for you.
Good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's a comparison of the safety plates used before the recall and of those I've seen installed when the pistols were returned:

iTjsFwF.jpg

Now that I've seen quite a few more of the Ruger Mark IV pistols, a couple more issues have been added to my "look for" list.
Notice the hook on the right end of the safety plates. That's what grabs the top of the sear to make the pistol "safe" when in the cocked position. The new safety plate has a deeper cut to get down and onto the sear with a much better purchase.

Ruger uses a plastic body magazine ejector in the Mark IV pistols. When those plastic parts are ejected out of the mold, they are not quite solidified and can easily be misshapen from colliding with previous parts in the collection bin. I've found some of those ejection bodies are distorted and in some cases will prevent a magazine from "clicking" fully into place. What happens then is, during the emptying of the magazine by shooting, the magazine will drop out of place. That can be a bit disconcerting and if you have a Ruger Mark IV that does that, try this. Remove the left side grip panel and then the plastic ejector, completely. Re-install that grip panel and shoot another full magazine. If the magazine stays in place............you then know what the issue is.

Last edited: