How do you get into the firearms industry?

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been looking at the same thing. I would like to work within the firearms community. I've been considering going to a tech school and learning mill, lathe, and cnc

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the nssf website used to have a listing of job opportunities in the industry. I haven't looked in a while. I don't know if it is still there or not.

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll try to track that down. Also looking at getting my ffl. I need to start somewhere and that seems like a good place. If nothing else it will save me money on future purchases. Anyone know how much it is to get/have the class 3 on your ffl? I've been googling and the info I'm finding is as clear as mud

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Clint Dismore said:
I'll try to track that down. Also looking at getting my ffl. I need to start somewhere and that seems like a good place. If nothing else it will save me money on future purchases. Anyone know how much it is to get/have the class 3 on your ffl? I've been googling and the info I'm finding is as clear as mud
"Class 3" is a tax class. What you are looking for is the SOT ( special occupational Tax) which you pay $500 once a year starting July 1. You pay it after you have been licensed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The batfe won't grant an ffl License unless you can show a viable business plan. Upon renewal/inspection, they'll check to see that your running a business & not just buying guns for yourself.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I got the FFL packet and I can attest to the ridiculous level of information they require. There is even a form you fill out that requires you to estimate how much waste you will produce and how you plan to dispose of it. My plan was to get my FFL and order guns on an as-desired basis for other soldiers at dealer cost plus 20 bucks, but many of the companies require a certain amount of inventory be purchased to be a dealer for them. A notable example was, at that time anyway, Kimber who required a minimum 10 grand purchase.

I have looked into the Trinidad College gunsmithing program in Colorado but I haven't talked to enough people who can tell me whether it's a good program or not. I can say the Sonoran Desert Institute is a degree mill with their Associates in Firearms Technology. I did 12 credit hours' worth of tests in 4 days at the computer and corrected the instructor on a few of his questions.

Latest posts